Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loan from welfare

• 07-02-2013 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Freezing nuts

Need an emergency loan to pay off bills, buy sofa and cooker.

Need 500 euros but lets face it no bank or CU are going to lend somebody on dole money these days regardless of previous good credit etc. Tried before and won't happen.

Do the welfare give crisis loans ? If the deal was to have the loan repayments taken automatically out of weekly benefits....I know the council do this for people in arrears on their rent so is possible.

Anybody in the know ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The CU will. Try them again. All they will do is ask for your dole receipts and proof of savings. Would the SVP be an alternative?

The first stop though will be to see the CWO. Go there first, see what they have to say and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Try your local Community Welfare Officer, it might fall under an Exceptional Needs Payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Freezing nuts

CU said no last time for their own reasons. Will try CWO but not sure they would help unless they do take the taking repayments straight out of benefits if that is a system they use like the council or as they do in UK for crisis loans, if so i am thinking they will give me the 500. Does anybody know if they do that ?

What is the loan shark situation here ? I know in UK they have lenders to people in any situation , obviously not a good option and loan sharks have bad reputations but in the UK you can get them where they stick to their terms ie don't add anymore than they ask for as long as repayments are made.

CU said no last time for their own reasons. Will try CWO but not sure they would help unless they do take the taking repayments straight out of benefits if that is a system they use like the council or as they do in UK for crisis loans, if so i am thinking they will give me the 500. Does anybody know if they do that ?

What is the loan shark situation here ? I know in UK they have lenders to people in any situation , obviously not a good option and loan sharks have bad reputations but in the UK you can get them where they stick to their terms ie don't add anymore than they ask for as long as repayments are made.

I hope that wasn't a serious question!!:eek: DO NOT GO TO A LOAN SHARK!! You know that will land you in even more trouble...

Try the CWO first, then the SVP.

If you qualify for an Exceptional Needs Payment it won't be a loan.
    As above avoid loan sharks at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Avoid loan sharks at all costs, seriously.

If you go to the CWO and qualify for an exceptional needs payment, it is not a loan, it's a one-off payment.

You need to go to them with proof of bills owed, proof that your income isn't enough to pay them, proof that you need a cooker/sofa/etc and then just explain yourself to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The first thing you should do is delete that email address you have listed, or else you'll have every scammer in the place contacting you.

Then, as advised above you should go to your local Community Welfare Officer and don't expect any payment via Paypal.

You're just being silly now. If your question is a serious one and you're not trolling - Stop panicking and THINK!

Did you try to negotiate with the electric company? How did the bill get so high? Is it correct?? Offer to pay in instalments of E20 a week or whatever until it's settled. Are you claiming Fuel Allowance? If not and you've been unemployed for 15 months or more, you need to make the claim ASAP. Unfortunately, it'll only be for another eight weeks, and Welfare don't pay arrears, but it'll be something.

Why do you need to buy a cooker? Does not the landlord supply one?? If you need to get one, get a second-hand one, and get a registered gas installer to fit it.

Get round to the CWO quick. Stop wasting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If your under threat of been cut off by the ESB I'd suggest MABS ring them, in saying that the op seems a bit unrealistic ,

You can get a sofa here, there's also a microwave on another page.
    http://www.freetradeireland.ie/free_trade_list.php

As for the bills, try ringing the companies and explaining your situation and trying to come to an agreement about paying them. They want your money more than they want to cut you off, so sometimes when you're lucky they'd much prefer to help you out than cut you off.

In addition speak to the CWO, and if you don't have it already, look into getting a household benefit, although I've never heard of someone getting one that will amount to what you need, it will stand to your favour if you ring the companies to ask for leniency.

• Advertisement

I hear you all! I have never heard of CWO giving as much as i need to sort electricity and in todays climate zero chance i would imagine. I have had problems with landlord here as place is being sold at auction in May and simply no work is going to be done on it. Moving would be more costly and is not a possible solution. This place was through RAS and so council say if i moved they would take me off RAS. Phone calls made to landlord from council but landlord is not willing to spend money on place he is selling. The heating system hasn't worked for years with countless efforts to get landlord and council to do something. Heating by electric slowly increased bills even though efforts were made to pay them. Electricity board gave extra 4 weeks already to sort but benefits don't even cover food and maintenance costs for everyday living. There is no work about and i don't steal. SVP must be skint by now. I am sure something will come up.

I hear you all! I have never heard of CWO giving as much as i need to sort electricity and in todays climate zero chance i would imagine. I have had problems with landlord here as place is being sold at auction in May and simply no work is going to be done on it. Moving would be more costly and is not a possible solution. This place was through RAS and so council say if i moved they would take me off RAS. Phone calls made to landlord from council but landlord is not willing to spend money on place he is selling. The heating system hasn't worked for years with countless efforts to get landlord and council to do something. Heating by electric slowly increased bills even though efforts were made to pay them. Electricity board gave extra 4 weeks already to sort but benefits don't even cover food and maintenance costs for everyday living. There is no work about and i don't steal. SVP must be skint by now. I am sure something will come up.

If that's the case about RAS, I'd get on to your TD...

I have heard of CWO's giving out large amounts of money for ESB bills in the right circumstances.
    SVP do have funds, between both you might be able to cover it.

The treatment through the RAS scheme is unacceptable, I would make a complaint. As stated above I would go the TD route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

do you not have a sofa or cooker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Yeah, I've been through the emergency payments process with the Community Welfare.

You need to show two simple columns of income and outgoings. Income = Social Welfare + Housing Benefit. That's simple enough. Bring your slips with you to show payments of both.

Next up outgoings. Rent. Utility bills. Debt repayments (and/or fines). Loan repayments. Minimum credit card repayments. Food. Clothes. Mobile phone credit purchases. Travel. You need as many bills, receipts, tickets, statements etc as you can humanly get your hands on. Every time you spend money, get a bill, receipt, statement or ticket. You'll be expected to back up your outgoings claims.

Bank account statements for the last 6 months. These will tell the CWO whether you have additional sources of income and provide back up for your claims of standing orders/direct debits that affect your disposable income. What I did was make photocopies of the statements, highlight deposits from social welfare in one colour and SO/DD in another.

When all this is done, you need to able to show that your outgoings are regularly outstripping your income. This is no easy task. The community welfare office starts from a position that the basic social welfare payment is relatively generous and you should be able to both live and pay bills with - even save a little.

To convince them otherwise, you will have to demonstrate that (a) you have so much debt and bills to pay back, the 'generous' social welfare you get is whittled away to nothing and (b) that it's a bona fide emergency.

Put it this way, I had a broken ballcock in my header water tank, which meant that the only way I could have the water on was to be running water at the same time. This meant switching the water off for 23 hours and 45 minutes each day and just having it on while showering and washing up. I got half of the cost of fixing it.

Community welfare won't give you domestic appliances (they'll tell that this comes out of your social welfare). Try a charity instead or look for people throwing old ones out.

Thanks duck. I assumed as much from CWO so i won't be trying there. I would rather sit on floor or the kitchen table than get a charity second hand sofa to be fair. The only problem is the lecky bill. I'm thinking if they need to get in apartment to cut off lecky then i won't answer but surely they can cut it off somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks duck. I assumed as much from CWO so i won't be trying there. I would rather sit on floor or the kitchen table than get a charity second hand sofa to be fair. The only problem is the lecky bill. I'm thinking if they need to get in apartment to cut off lecky then i won't answer but surely they can cut it off somewhere else.

They can cut it off elsewhere, trust me :(

Yea i thought as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I assumed as much from CWO so i won't be trying there.

At least try for God's sake. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. That's what the CWO is there for, they do have budgets for helping you out with an emergency payment. By not going the only thing you're doing is harming yourself.

At least try for God's sake. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. That's what the CWO is there for, they do have budgets for helping you out with an emergency payment. By not going the only thing you're doing is harming yourself.

They don't have the money and as Duck pointed out they need lots of info and records i didn't keep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

They don't have the money

You don't know that.
    and as Duck pointed out they need lots of info and records i didn't keep.

That doesn't stop you from at least asking, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

They don't have the money and as Duck pointed out they need lots of info and records i didn't keep.
    Havin read this thread and your other one I'm of the opinion that you're not really looking for advice. There has been a lot of good advice on both threads about SVP CSO and more. It seems ridiculous for you to say that you'd rather sit on the ground than get a second hand couch. If your not exaggerating about the landlord RAS situation then you have a case which, as others have pointed out, you should take to a TD. I don't think you really want advice though, I think you're waiting for someone to give you an easy way out (like a loan shark). Why bother asking if you don't want to hear the sensible answers?!

Havin read this thread and your other one I'm of the opinion that you're not really looking for advice. There has been a lot of good advice on both threads about SVP CSO and more. It seems ridiculous for you to say that you'd rather sit on the ground than get a second hand couch. If your not exaggerating about the landlord RAS situation then you have a case which, as others have pointed out, you should take to a TD. I don't think you really want advice though, I think you're waiting for someone to give you an easy way out (like a loan shark). Why bother asking if you don't want to hear the sensible answers?!

Not true, i'm hearing advice but listen when i say CWO do not help in the same way they once would have. The SVP i have not dismissed. I can live without a sofa and a wonky cooker for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Surely if you spoke to the ESB they will install a card meter and every time you top up a percentage of your top up amount is paid towards your arrears, thats what I opted for last year, I was over 600 in arrears so agreed to this option, my arrears now stand at just under 300 and I can monitor my weekly usage with no fear of red reminder bills coming through the post each month, ESB are only offering this to people who cannot pay their arrears, they would rather do this and get something out of you than cut you off and get nothing. As for not taking a charity sofa well I find that ridiculous as beggers can't be choosers, trust me i've been ( and am still ) there. Burying your head re ESB and seeking cash handouts from the social will get you nowhere.

olcod wrote: »
    Surely if you spoke to the ESB they will install a card meter and every time you top up a percentage of your top up amount is paid towards your arrears, thats what I opted for last year, I was over 600 in arrears so agreed to this option, my arrears now stand at just under 300 and I can monitor my weekly usage with no fear of red reminder bills coming through the post each month, ESB are only offering this to people who cannot pay their arrears, they would rather do this and get something out of you than cut you off and get nothing. As for not taking a charity sofa well I find that ridiculous as beggers can't be choosers, trust me i've been ( and am still ) there. Burying your head re ESB and seeking cash handouts from the social will get you nowhere.

They did mention this in letter and could be a last resort. What put me off is there are not that many places to but the top ups from what i seen on their online payzone places map. Nearest to me was an hours walk at least. Also there were not figures on what was to be taken out of top up that goes towards arrears. Also are you sure it doesn't cost you more per unit ?

They did mention this in letter and could be a last resort. What put me off is there are not that many places to but the top ups from what i seen on their online payzone places map. Nearest to me was an hours walk at least. Also there were not figures on what was to be taken out of top up that goes towards arrears. Also are you sure it doesn't cost you more per unit ?

Who is your electric supplier? You need to ask them for figures, first. And not being funny, you're in **** street. If having a key meter means not having the power cut off, then I'd grab it with both hands.

With a key meter, a proportion goes towards your arrears and some towards your present use. Are you quite sure the nearest Payzone is an hour away? And are you not able to top up online? You clearly have internet access so topping up by phone or online shouldn't be too difficult.

Who is your electric supplier? You need to ask them for figures, first. And not being funny, you're in **** street. If having a key meter means not having the power cut off, then I'd grab it with both hands.

With a key meter, a proportion goes towards your arrears and some towards your present use. Are you quite sure the nearest Payzone is an hour away? And are you not able to top up online? You clearly have internet access so topping up by phone or online shouldn't be too difficult.

I looked for online payments but seen nothing but i would have thought it would be possible. Maybe someone here knows for sure.

If I top up by 20 euro then 14 euro is what usage I get and 6 euro goes towards my arrears, not sure about costing extra per unit but even if it did they are offering you a way out and paying a slightly higher unit rate is still better than no electricity at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My understanding of pay as you go or slot meters as they used to be called is that the cost of electricity is slightly dearer.

There main benefit is that they give the customer the option of having control over how and when they use whatever electricity they can afford.

They are not an ideal answer for anyone struggling with bills, but suit people that are hopeless at budgeting. More of a last resort, for emergency or temporary use, imho.

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    My understanding of pay as you go or slot meters as they used to be called is that the cost of electricity is slightly dearer.

There main benefit is that they give the customer the option of having control over how and when they use whatever electricity they can afford.

They are not an ideal answer for anyone struggling with bills, but suit people that are hopeless at budgeting. More of a last resort, for emergency or temporary use, imho.

I totally agree, as soon as my arrears are cleared i'll be going back to a regular bill as my OH is adamant that im paying too much but at the mo its my only option. It helped me out of a bad situation at the time but like you say is only suitable as a temp or emergency opt, id rather pay a little over the top and keep my power on ( especially with two kids in the house ) than have no power at all.

They go on record as saying the price is the same and that bills will be sent as usual with units used etc. These electric suppliers lie through their teeth at any given opportunity though.

• Thanks duck. I assumed as much from CWO so i won't be trying there. I would rather sit on floor or the kitchen table than get a charity second hand sofa to be fair. The only problem is the lecky bill. I'm thinking if they need to get in apartment to cut off lecky then i won't answer but surely they can cut it off somewhere else.

:confused:

Why? I've worked all my life and almost everything I buy is second-hand, including furniture. Are you afraid of bed bugs or something? If I were in your position, I wouldn't be worrying about buying a sofa.

BTW, they can easily cut off the electricity without going into your apartment. Happened to me once when the landlord forgot to pay the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They go on record as saying the price is the same and that bills will be sent as usual with units used etc. These electric suppliers lie through their teeth at any given opportunity though.

You sir are a serial fraudster and a thief.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056879325

You have some cheek to look for a loan from the state when you purposely evade paying bills and leave others to pick up your tab.

One word for you my friend......KARMA.

:confused:

Why? I've worked all my life and almost everything I buy is second-hand, including furniture. Are you afraid of bed bugs or something? If I were in your position, I wouldn't be worrying about buying a sofa.

BTW, they can easily cut off the electricity without going into your apartment. Happened to me once when the landlord forgot to pay the bill.

He is afraid of being caught and being done for serial fraud and theft.

He talks about a capatilst world and greed,,,yet hes asking for a handout from the state here.

Some bloody cheek indeed.:mad::mad:

Have a read of this..."poor little me" thread and read from page 5 onwards.

Serial fraudster,thief here in Ireland and ther UK and proud to gloat about it too.

The past will catch up with him and he will get his just deserts indeed.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You sir are a serial fraudster and a thief.

You have some cheek to look for a loan from the state when you purposely evade paying bills and leave others to pick up your tab.

One word for you my friend......KARMA.

It was I who used the term Karma first in relation to this Paddy.

Freedom came my way one day
    And I started out of town, yeah!
    All of a sudden I saw sheriff John Brown
    Aiming to shoot me down,
    So I shot - I shot - I shot him down and I say:
    If I am guilty I will pay.

• Advertisement

It was I who used the term Karma first in relation to this Paddy.

Freedom came my way one day
    And I started out of town, yeah!
    All of a sudden I saw sheriff John Brown
    Aiming to shoot me down,
    So I shot - I shot - I shot him down and I say:
    If I am guilty I will pay.

And its yet again the "poor little you" speech and you are looking for a state handout here.

Tell me how you think its perfectly ok to purposely defraud companies and people and thieve from them multiple times...yet you want a loan from the state here.

If you are against the "capitalst world",and want to rebel against it.......they why the feck are you looking for a state handout?????

You called other people scumbags on that other thread.

Does that include you then????

paddy147 wrote: »
    And its yet again the "poor little you" speech and you are looking for a state handout here.

Tell me how you think its perfectly ok to purposely defraud companies and people and thieve from them multiple times...yet you want a loan from the state here.

If you are against the "capitalst world",and want to rebel against it.......they why the feck are you looking for a state handout?????

You called other people scumbags on that other thread.

Does that include you then????

A loan is not a hand out. Not that i have applied for one.

A loan is not a hand out. Not that i have applied for one.

Post 4....you applied for 1 and you were refused.

They might not have got their money back...with your proud track record of defrauding and thieveing from companies and people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP you have been given lots of advice and options on this thread by lots of helpful posters.
    It is up to you if you wish to take this advice.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement