Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imaging pcs with two hdds

Options
  • 07-02-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Has anyone imaged pcs with two hdd
    Similar to the following setup
    160gb and 500gb sata drives

Xp on the 160gb
    Win7 on the 500gb

The machine are dell workstations

What I have been doing seems to be working for most of the machines
    I have taken an image with ghost of each drive separately (there is no way to image both drives that I know of)

Xp will boot up fine
    Issue is with win 7 the boot seems to get corrupt and needs to be repaired
    This worked for about half the room

But now repairing with the disc hasn’t worked with two machines so far.
    Xp will still boot fine

The next problem is three of the machine that have been ghosted will not boot passed checking the disks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget you need the appropiate extra windows licenses to clone HDD's ;)

Also Ghost needs a license per machine
    are you using an old version ?

with Dell's Alt-F to reset bios to factory settings and then putting in the ones you need can sometimes sort out weirdness

also check BIOS for SATA/AHCI modes

if the machines use different hardware for motherboard / HDD controller / video then windows will usually throw a hissy fit and keel over, though I'd expect 7 to be a little less picky

if the boot is just a flashing cursor I'd suspect partition alignment - sector 63 etc or the hidden utility partition

try the parted live CD
    this handles most of the stuff you need

testdisk is handy to recover misaligned partitions too - but you are better off sorting out the problem in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Don't forget you need the appropiate extra windows licenses to clone HDD's ;)

Also Ghost needs a license per machine
    are you using an old version ?

with Dell's Alt-F to reset bios to factory settings and then putting in the ones you need can sometimes sort out weirdness

also check BIOS for SATA/AHCI modes

if the machines use different hardware for motherboard / HDD controller / video then windows will usually throw a hissy fit and keel over, though I'd expect 7 to be a little less picky

if the boot is just a flashing cursor I'd suspect partition alignment - sector 63 etc or the hidden utility partition

try the parted live CD
    this handles most of the stuff you need

testdisk is handy to recover misaligned partitions too - but you are better off sorting out the problem in the first place

thanks i'll try that.

and yes we have mak licenses for windows
    (just so you know with windows 7 you it detects that it has been cloned and you have to reactivate)

i'm using ghost 11.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just to update

turns out the hdds were in the incorrect order on the three pcs
    which is why they would not go to the bootloader

Advertisement