Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Unpaid Lunch

Options
  • 07-02-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Are employers in Ireland allowed to force employees to take a 30min unpaid lunch break.

I work from 0700 to 1530

I have no need for lunch breaks in the office I work in, due to me having a big desk and I can work as usual on the rare occasion i eat lunch at all.

So I am at work 8 hours and 30 minutes but I only get payed for 8 hours of my time.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Big companies like Amazon etc pay for one tea break. They Do Not pay for your second afternoon tea break or your lunch. They are obliged under employment law to give you time for lunch. I've yet to hear anyone complaining that they have to take a short lunch break. We are not robots. They are simply following the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Most companies include your morning 10 min break as part of the paid working day. Lunch however is unpaid, it is required under employment law that if you work for 8 hours you have to have at least a half hour break, but employers aren't obliged to pay, at least you have just half an hour many places give a full hour unpaid which can drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Warmzie

Ok thanks alot for the info. I was unsure as I used to live and work in Sweden and this was never an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Warmzie wrote: »
    Are employers in Ireland allowed to force employees to take a 30min unpaid lunch break.

I work from 0700 to 1530

I have no need for lunch breaks in the office I work in, due to me having a big desk and I can work as usual on the rare occasion i eat lunch at all.

So I am at work 8 hours and 30 minutes but I only get payed for 8 hours of my time.

Jaysus working 8.5 hours and being paid for 8... me thinks the Swedish and Irish work practises might be a tad different. I was contracted for 39 hours never worked under 45 per week and I was blessed!

As for the lunch break - its a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Short answer- yes, as your company would be breaching the Working Time Act 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

Short answer- yes, as your company would be breaching the Working Time Act 1997.

Huh? have you a link??

You are entitled to a 30min break after working 6 hrs but have no entitlement to be paid for it. See here.
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployers/workinghours/

Employers can set out a 1hr lunch break if that is what they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Odelay wrote: »
    Huh? have you a link??

You are entitled to a 30min break after working 6 hrs but have no entitlement to be paid for it. See here.
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployers/workinghours/

Employers can set out a 1hr lunch break if that is what they see fit.

I moreso mean having a lunch break at all, as the OP states 'I have no need for a lunch break' as well as the fact that it is unpaid, which I agree is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I moreso mean having a lunch break at all, as the OP states 'I have no need for a lunch break' as well as the fact that it is unpaid, which I agree is the norm.

Agree with post. OP can be "forced" to take lunch break and doesnt have to be paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

marnieb wrote: »
    it is required under employment law that if you work for 8 hours you have to have at least a half hour break, but employers aren't obliged to pay

Its actually after 6 hours, not 8.

For working 4.5 hours - 15 min unpaid break entitlement
    For working 6 hours - 30 min unpaid break entitlement (which can include the previous 15 mins, so 30 min total, not 45)
    If you work in a shop employees and your shift is more than 6 hours and you work over the normal 'lunch period' so from 11.30 - 2.30 you are entitled to a one hour consecutive break.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Little Ted wrote: »
    Its actually after 6 hours, not 8.

For working 4.5 hours - 15 min unpaid break entitlement
    For working 6 hours - 30 min unpaid break entitlement (which can include the previous 15 mins, so 30 min total, not 45)
    If you work in a shop employees and your shift is more than 6 hours and you work over the normal 'lunch period' so from 11.30 - 2.30 you are entitled to a one hour consecutive break.

I know little Ted but the question that was originally posted related to 8 and a half hours worked and that is what I was replying to, it wasn't a full outline of HR law or anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement