Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor Magdalene Laundries

Options
  • 07-02-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just heard the other day that Sinead O'Connor was in the Magdalene Laundries. I also heard she was living in waterford at one point was this in waterfords Magdalene Laundries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I think I remember hearing that she went to school in Newtown, so that might be what she's on about??

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Apparently she was a boarder at Newtown School for 2-3 years following her time in the Good Shepherd. She blames her experience there for the time she tore up the Pope's picture, it had such an impact on her! Why are we only hearing about this now? Surely there have been many occasions when this could have been mentioned. Oh there's the bandwagon.....one....two....three...jump!!

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

I was in the Waterford Magdelene Laundry as a kid. Only for about an hour. They made those clothes the altar boys wear and had to go there to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

She was in a laundry in Dublin ( briefly) she stayed in Waterford when she was a boarder in Newtown School

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

She pops back down now and then for a pint too. Was here for Spraoi during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

She was in a laundry up the country, her dad took her out of it and sent her to newtown then, think she was in neetown the same time as ralph fiennes could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

bookworms wrote: »
    Apparently she was a boarder at Newtown School for 2-3 years following her time in the Good Shepherd. She blames her experience there for the time she tore up the Pope's picture, it had such an impact on her! Why are we only hearing about this now? Surely there have been many occasions when this could have been mentioned. Oh there's the bandwagon.....one....two....three...jump!!

Sinead O'Connor has spoken many times before about being in a Magdalene Laundary.

The difference is that this is the first time the Star (or whoever) ran with it as a cover story.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Sinead O'Connor's music, and think she has it very tough as a person, as does anyone who suffers from a mental illness. I hate the way people's instinctive reaction is to put the boot into her (as is the same with a lot of people who have a mental illness).

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Apologies if I came across as putting the boot into someone with a mental illness, that was not my intention. Nor was I belittling her experiences as a child. To the cynic in me it just seems to me that over the years she has a knack of getting into the headlines for controversial actions, words, deeds etc.

I see where you coming from....

But look, do you think she rang the paper about it or do you think the paper rang her.....

Paper says, Magdalene Laundary report out today, what angle can we use.....what celebrities have been in one.....who can we call that will give us a good quote......

I'd direct your anger at the press; they choose who goes on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor has spoken many times before about being in a Magdalene Laundary.

The difference is that this is the first time the Star (or whoever) ran with it as a cover story.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Sinead O'Connor's music, and think she has it very tough as a person, as does anyone who suffers from a mental illness. I hate the way people's instinctive reaction is to put the boot into her (as is the same with a lot of people who have a mental illness).

Out of interest can you link to an interview where said this? It's not that I don't believe you I just find the timing if this is only "coming to light" now to every self serving.... however if she has said so in the past in an interview and not just something that fans know then it's no fault of hers by Any means.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Out of interest can you link to an interview where said this? It's not that I don't believe you I just find the timing if this is only "coming to light" now to every self serving.... however if she has said so in the past in an interview and not just something that fans know then it's no fault of hers by Any means.

I cant reference any article, but its on her Wikipedia page if that helps.....I've read it about her before.

To be honest, you can do a quick google search as fast as I can.

And dont get me wrong, I am not a massive fan of hers, I like her music but dont know all that much about her.

But I do think she is someone who has been treated appallingly by the tabloid press in ireland, and by a lot of people on forums.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Sinead's problem is that she emigrated and came back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

ziedth wrote: »

An opinion piece from Sinead in 2010: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/25/AR2010032502363.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I think theres alot of people hopping on Sinead, she says stuff and the media jump on it cos it sells papers, if it was for reporters and or newspapers we wouldnt have a clue and think god shes great.

NOBODY on here knows her personally, only from what you hear second hand, and if thats how you judge a person by second hand knoweldge or what somebody else said then im glad im not your friend, shes someone thats been through alot and a news papers dream dont always believe what you read!

Give the woman a break she has her problems like everyone of us!

and as far as im aware this in an old story not something she just suddenly came out and said, it was regurgitated by the media in recent weeks!

Shes a great singer and Ireland should be proud to have her, Look at shane McGowan most of you say hes a legend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

SubBusted wrote: »
    Sinead's problem is that she emigrated and came back!

That is not her problem, unfortunately it is ours cos we have to suffer her bullsh*t! I really thought when she was spouting on a few years ago about relocating to Jamaica that we as a country should have chipped in to buy her a one way ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

And people say she suffers from mental illness, I think she is the sane one the rest of us well maybe we are the mad ones, for not getting angry at what went on and still goes on in our name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Shes a great singer and Ireland should be proud to have her, Look at shane McGowan most of you say hes a legend?

Nope, I say he's a mangy alcoholic who had one good song and rode that for all its worth, just like Sinead O'Connor is an attention whore who had one good song and rode that for all its worth. Its a testament to the dearth of talent in this country that the two of them have become celebrities.

Nope, I say he's a mangy alcoholic who had one good song and rode that for all its worth, just like Sinead O'Connor is an attention whore who had one good song and rode that for all its worth. Its a testament to the dearth of talent in this country that the two of them have become celebrities.

Wow its amazing that if your stars arent selected from X Factor then they are bad singers? you clearly havent got a clue about music and the music industry! Shes a great singer who hapeens to have a mental health problem and you have the right to say those things about her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Justin_Brophey

What are you talking about ? Shane Mc gowen a one hit wonder ?? He is regarded as one of the best song writers this country has ever had, actually one of the best poets this country has ever had !

As for Sinead O Connor you should actually listen to some of her music before you spout your madness.

Typical small minded people without a clue talking about things they don't know about. Ahh you gotta love boards.ie !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

What are you talking about ? Shane Mc gowen a one hit wonder ?? He is regarded as one of the best song writers this country has ever had, actually one of the best poets this country has ever had !

As for Sinead O Connor you should actually listen to some of her music before you spout your madness.

Typical small minded people without a clue talking about things they don't know about. Ahh you gotta love boards.ie !!!!

Shane was born in Kent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_MacGowan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    That Kent be true! :p

Wow its amazing that if your stars arent selected from X Factor then they are bad singers? you clearly havent got a clue about music and the music industry! Shes a great singer who hapeens to have a mental health problem and you have the right to say those things about her?

You know nothing about me or my music tastes so your opinion means nothing to me. I have every right to say she's an attention whore with a minor talent because that's exactly what she is.

If Shane McGowan is one of the greatest Irish songwriters and poets then I'm exactly right in saying what a dearth of talent this country (and its diaspora) has. The same goes for Sinead O'Connor, a one hit wonder who's stayed in the public eye by being a mentaller.

You know nothing about me or my music tastes so your opinion means nothing to me. I have every right to say she's an attention whore with a minor talent because that's exactly what she is.

Wo wo wo, SHES A WHORE???? SHES A WHORE? thats a very liablous statement to make, calling someone a whore on a public board!

Obviously youve got bad taste and dont know how the newspaper industry works, when was the last time she self publicised herself? the magdalene story wasnt a new one and she was most likely asked about it, newspapers feed off people like her to sell papers, and you dont know her personally so i dont think youve the right to slander her in such a fashion!

I think its derogatory to speak about someone who is clearly unwell as a mentler! these type of comments dont help with the amount of mental health problems ireland is experiencing today along with suicide and the likes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He didn't call her a whore, he called her an attention whore, there's a very significant difference between the two.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Wo wo wo, SHES A WHORE???? SHES A WHORE? thats a very liablous statement to make, calling someone a whore on a public board!

Obviously youve got bad taste and dont know how the newspaper industry works, when was the last time she self publicised herself? the magdalene story wasnt a new one and she was most likely asked about it, newspapers feed off people like her to sell papers, and you dont know her personally so i dont think youve the right to slander her in such a fashion!

I think its derogatory to speak about someone who is clearly unwell as a mentler! these type of comments dont help with the amount of mental health problems ireland is experiencing today along with suicide and the likes!

If you're going to go off on one accusing someone of posting a libelous statement then get your facts right, he didn't call her a whore, he called her an attention whore.

She's well known for pulling stunts to get attention. She's a has been when it comes to music and the tripe she sings now is so far removed from her one big hit.

Well its still not a nice thing to say about someone you dont really know, that and calling someone with a track record of mental illness a Mentalist, just think it stigmatises it more so, shes a newspapers dream.

I bet your a fan of X Factor and if you are i think you shouldnt be commenting on the standard of music:D how many months of a shelf life do those people have, that muck destroys real music!

• Advertisement

Well its still not a nice thing to say about someone you dont really know, that and calling someone with a track record of mental illness a Mentalist, just think it stigmatises it more so, shes a newspapers dream.

I bet your a fan of X Factor and if you are i think you shouldnt be commenting on the standard of music:D how many months of a shelf life do those people have, that muck destroys real music!

The only person mentioning X-Factor here is you, sounds like you're hiding a major obsession there.

And I'll say what I like about Sinead O'Connor, she's a public figure and she goes out looking for publicity all the time with her stupid stunts.

Advertisement