Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant decide on glove

• 07-02-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions. Im getting some new gloves and want ones what will last. I have two in my head so far the

1.) alpinestar jet road gore tex glove
    2). alpinestar 365 gore tex glove

The 365 is about €50 more expensive.I ride daily and will be up until next winter. Maybe even passed the winter if I cant get cash for a car together so need something that will cover me though winter.If I do get a car my riding will be more sping,summer,autum. My current gloves are pretty crap and they didnt feel too cold during winter so im not one of those people that needs a **** tone of insulation. Im Planning of buying from megabikes.ie. Any input would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

alpinestars quality control sounds like its seriously lacking unfort.. read an awful lot of premature wear on the 365 in particular - burst/failing stitching. Which sucked, because I tried them on at a fair, and they felt like the nicest gloves ever.. stuck with richa in the end, and have not regretted my Richa artics purchase over a year ago - still perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Wossack wrote: »
    alpinestars quality control sounds like its seriously lacking unfort.. read an awful lot of premature wear on the 365 in particular - burst/failing stitching. Which sucked, because I tried them on at a fair, and they felt like the nicest gloves ever.. stuck with richa in the end, and have not regretted my Richa artics purchase over a year ago - still perfect

Saw that myself, thats why I was tending toward the jet road they looked more solid. Havent seen any irish places selling richa gloves online except for motorcycleshop.ie but they dont explicitly say waterproof on the ones I checked. I do have a richa jacket and its a great bit of kit though never lets a drop in. hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

yes, it might have been just the 365 alright, I dont think I considered the jet road

artics I have here, do say waterproof on them, but no branding on the waterproof layer (not goretex afaik). 95% of the time they are perfect, but have gotten slightly damp fingers in heavy heavy rains. Probably the driest part of me mind you - and they might have let in from the cuff, rather then the material

I quite like the sounds of the knox waterproof ones - which had the waterproof layer on the very outside of the glove (stops the leather getting waterlogged), but again I read not-exactly-glowing reviews on the quality :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I have a pair of 365 I got in HG in the sale. And they are the best gloves I have ever had, and they have not even started to wear on any part of the glove. The only visible sign is the little 365 bit on the palm, they are well worth the money, and when up in Belfast tomorrow at the show I am looking for a good deal on another set.

Having said that they are not for ALL YEAR riding, on the cold cold days you will feel it. But a pair of under gloves will sort the very cold days....seriously the real 365 are a UBER good glove. There were alot of fakes going around also which would fall apart.

Other gloves I highly recommend are the Held Air N Dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have a pair of 365 for just over a year - they are falling apart and will need to be replaced soon.

Comfy - Yes
    Warm - Yes
    Well made - NO.

I know several people personally who have had the same happen to them.

They weren't knock off either - got them in Cotters.

One thing about Aplinestars stuff - it's very small fitting. Mire are L, and I'm medium in any other glove.

• Advertisement

Jaden wrote: »
    I have a pair of 365 for just over a year - they are falling apart and will need to be replaced soon.

Comfy - Yes
    Warm - Yes
    Well made - NO.

I know several people personally who have had the same happen to them.

They weren't knock off either - got them in Cotters.

One thing about Aplinestars stuff - it's very small fitting. Mire are L, and I'm medium in any other glove.

Are you seriously telling me you will not get fake or seconds in a shop!!! :rolleyes:

Trust me you will and it happened to a lad who I use to go out on spins with he bought a pair of TCX boots in a well know shop which I will not mention but is relevant to your post and one was 2yrs older then the other! Reason I know is I was in another shop giving out about them when the older one was falling apart and the TCX rep was there and asked to see them. The soles were totally different and he new by the code on the inner boot.

He replaced them then and there.....kudos to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I have the jet road for the last 5 years now and they are still going strong. I use them for probably 8 months of the year for commuting to work, just to give you and idea of the work they put in.

Yeah I am about the same with my 365 use them all the time except the really really cold days..and they are perfect. Will try to get a pic up to show how good they held up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

How are the jet road on hot days? Looking at the jet road vs the 365 i cant see why I would spend the extra cash on them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I picked up a pair of summer gloves in the bike show 2 years ago that I use on hot days, more to get longer out of the jet roads.

When I did use the jet roads during the summer, hands did get hot but not uncomfortably hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Firstly, my ears are burning :P
    Doylers wrote: »
    How are the jet road on hot days? Looking at the jet road vs the 365 i cant see why I would spend the extra cash on them :confused:

I've had lots of gloves over the years and I would definitely say forget the marketing. You need Summer Gloves and Winter gloves, IMO. I have a pair of thick Alpinestars Winter gloves at the moment and they've kept the water out every time I've been caught out in the rain (although I'm a fair weather rider) but in anything less than 7/8 degrees, you're getting frozen fingers even with liners. I'll post the series later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For winter gloves, get reasonably cheap ones (no glove is really waterproof) and spend the difference on heated grips. On a dry day you can wear your summer gloves in winter...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=298_303&products_id=1738

I find these great..on specail at 20 quid too..they are really warm and keep the water out too.

Advertisement