Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renewel IEC

Options
  • 07-02-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

When i applied for the IEC i had about 18 months left on my passport. if i get my passport renewed before i go. when i arrive in canada will they give me a 24 month visa or will it be to what my passport was dated to when appying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Clubman2012

You'll prob be declined. It clearly stated your passport needed to be in date for the two years your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

Hi Surfn. My boyfriend applied for an IEC visa last year, and was granted one, despite his passport not being in date for the duration of his visa. So when we went down to the border last September, they issued his visa until the expiry on his passport. This also applies to your SIN number and he couldnt get health care either because the visa was for less than 6 months. The immigration officer said to come back when he got his new passport and they would issue the rest of the visa. Well he received his new passport in January and drove down to the border to get the rest of his visa. 4 and a half hours later they finally granted this to him, they very nearly didn't, as it was his responsibility to have his passport in date. However they granted it as he was given the visa in the first place, so there were discrepancies on both parts. it was a close one though! Where are you planning to go to? I think part of the problem was that the Coutts border(Alberta border) don't get too many strange cases, unlike Vancouver and Toronto, so they spent quite a lot of time actually researching this. I do think though, that if you are arriving with a new passport, you should get the full visa. I'm not 100% on that though. Just make sure that you dont enter on the old one, and then try to have the visa transferred into the new one as this could cause you problems. There is quite a lot of useful info on "irish in calgary" facebook page. A lot of people go through same situations, so maybe join up, and have a scroll through the page. I'm sure you will find more accurate info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nk1888

I have to agree with clubman. I don't think you'll get the two year visa as you need your passport valid for the whole 2 years. I hope it works out for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Clubman2012

Yeah I hope it works out too. Its just they had it in their conditions this year! Good luck though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

cheers everybody thanks for the info on this

• Advertisement
Advertisement