Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Caragher Announces His Retirement

• 07-02-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

I think this deserves its own thread. He is a true legend for LFC. Over 700 games for the club, 2nd to Ian Callaghan (856 games). He has to have his own panini sticker :)
    DEbONdf.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/oneclub-man-jamie-carragher-to-retire-from-liverpool-at-the-end-of-the-season-8485185.html

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has announced he will retire from football at the end of the season.

The 35-year-old told Liverpool's official website: "This will be my last season at Liverpool and my last as a professional footballer.

"I'm making this announcement now because I don't want the manager or the club to be answering questions on my future when I've already decided what I am going to do."

The defender joined Liverpool's youth system at the age of nine before making his first team debut against Middlesbrough in 1997. He has subsequently made more than 700 senior appearances for the Reds and insists he will remain committed to the cause until the end of the current campaign.

"I will be fully committed between now and the end of the season to doing the very best for Liverpool Football Club, as I've done my entire career since joining aged just nine-years-old," he said.

"It has been a privilege and an honour to represent this great club for as long as I have and I am immensely proud to have done so and thankful for all the support I have had. There are many memories I want to share and people to thank, but now is not the time for that.

"I won't be making any further comment on this decision until the end of the season; all our focus and concentration should be on achieving the best possible finish in the league this season and trying to win the last remaining trophy we are competing in."

The player, who was born in Bootle, has enjoyed an incredibly successful career at Anfield. During his time he has won the Champions League, Uefa Cup, two FA Cups, three League Cups as well as the Uefa Super Cup on two occasions. He is second only to Ian Callaghan in the club's all-time appearance table.

Carragher was also a regular for England during the top of his career and in total made 38 appearances for the national side.

He retired from international football in 2007 but made a comeback in 2010 under Fabio Capello and competed in the World Cup before retiring again after the tournament.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I'm no Liverpool fan but I respect any player who sticks by his club. Especially when he puts it above the shítey England team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Best of luck to him in whatever he turns his hands to next. An absolutely true Liverpool legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fair dues and good luck to him post football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks Jamie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

meercat wrote: »
    Thanks Jamie
    Do you support Liverpool or one of the 100 teams he scored own goals for :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

My enduring image of Carra will be the 2005 Champions League Final and watching him get up over and over again and throwing his body in front of shot after shot and cross after cross when severe cramp was crippling his legs. And he was still among the first people to sprint to Dudek after the winning penalty save! :D

One club man.
    700+ appearances.
    Played all across the backline.
    More than capable Captain when called upon.
    Huge part of our modern successes.

A true Liverpool legend in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Excellent defender, always came across sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

We all dream of a team of Carraghers, a team of Carraghers, a team of Carraghers.

Legend of the club. Hope he stays in football and doesnt go down the pundit route. Would love to see him retained at Liverpool in some form, personally I think he has a lot to offer the club.

His sports bar is pretty amazing as well, and has the best steak in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

Do you support Liverpool or one of the 100 teams he scored own goals for :D

selective memory i have
    just remember the good ones:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Great Pro, always gave everything for his club

-man utd fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Not a fan.

There, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

What also saddens me about Carra's retirement is that it signals the next wave of retirements of people I grew up watching... which means I too, am getting too old for this sh!t.

I've seen the Cantona, Shearer Bergkamp, Fowler times go by... next is the Carra, Stevie, Owen, Beckham, Giggs, Henry era... that'll be my childhood/teenage years gone. Rooney, Wilshere and Ronaldo are all younger than me :eek::o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thanks Jamie for all the good memories with the club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'll always remember Carragher ringing up Talksport and challenging Adrian Durham for calling him "a bottler" when he was retiring from the England team in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nani likes this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

zerks wrote: »
    Nani likes this.

Nani.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Lumbo wrote: »
    Not a fan.

There, I said it.

Eh, okay, good for you then I guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Not too bad a haul for a technically limited footballer. His organization and command of the defence is/was second to none.

Legend.

carra.png

At least Nani didn't get his mates after him:

From Carragher's Autobiography:
    When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.
    A few weeks later I received a phone call. "You won't believe this, Jay. We're in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?"

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? "There's only one problem," added the voice. "Little Davey Thommo is with him."'

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he'd have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed.

Limited hoofball player who should thank God every day for being lucky enough to somehow be a professional footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Absolute legend for the club. He has ALWAYS been unrelenting as a defender and a leader. I really hope he stays within the club to coach the youths and work his way up. His is attitude is and always has been second to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

At least Nani didn't get his mates after him:

That's because he has no mates. Nani No-Mates they call him.

Joey Barton refuses to follow him on twitter and even Luke Chadwick won't return his calls.

It was nothing to do with God or luck you tool.

Sorry that somebody doesn't bow down in front of the man like you want them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It was nothing to do with God or luck you tool.

Bit harsh calling him a tool tbf.

Carragher had a great career at Liverpool and is only really missing the PL from his medal haul. Liverpool should be doing all they can to keep his committed attitude at the club in some form. Probably as a coach.

That Lucas Neill thing is one of the cringiest things I've ever read. Ugh. Imagine how mental David Thompson thought Carragher was when he received that text.

Calling into Talksport also wasn't a great decision. The saying "Never argue with a fool..." springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

23CarraGold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sorry that somebody doesn't bow down in front of the man like you want them to.

Yea, because I am such a big Carragher fan. :rolleyes:

He certainly had his faults as a player and as a person, as the Lucas Neil (and a few other) incident shows.

But lucky?

He made his own luck, through hard work and dedication over the duration of a 17-year career. Could never be faulted for effort or commitment.

"He is a player who can seem to be sweating profusely 90 seconds into a game while still putting his body on the line 90 minutes later."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Limited hoofball player who should thank God every day for being lucky enough to somehow be a professional footballer.

This shows how limited your knowledge of football is.

• Advertisement

The bitter and clueless comments didn't take long.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Haterz gunna hate

_41185639_carra.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Warhorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Oscorp wrote: »
    Haterz gunna hate

_41185639_carra.jpg
    That's all very well but..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwt10-WYAv5P4z70f6dxkzA-KJWHnD7d_0z8m_qtHHQGn5TFy3xA

Should be a good thread for filtering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even the redcafe thread has a bit more class then the above post (not your rarnes1!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Credit where credit is due he always gave 100% on the field. What he lacked technically he made up for in guts and determination.

He came across as honest enough chap too and I can't remember him being dickhead outside of football.

So for those things I respect him.

Max Power wrote: »
    That's all very well but..

Indeed.

Great testament to Carra that despite his lack of natural talent with the ball, only one club competition eluded him. To win what he did, by the virtues of hard work and dedication, is astounding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Fair play Carragher, great career, always stuck to his own beliefs. As a United fan, plenty of admiration. He'll do well whatever he chooses to do after football. Can see him as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pundit or coach?

RasTa wrote: »
    Pundit or coach?

Reading in between the lines of Ian Ayre's statement, he looks to be staying on in some capacity.
    "In line with Jamie's wishes we will wait until the season concludes before giving him the true recognition he deserves. We will also wait until that time to comment further regarding what involvement he may have with the club going forward."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

RasTa wrote: »
    Pundit or coach?

There's word he will be with sky next year, would be interesting to hear his and nevilles analysis together both know their stuff although if he ends up being half as good as Gary at analysis hell be doing well. May need subtitles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well whatever he lacked in talent he made up with heart. Though I think the assumption that he is 'limited' is grossly exaggerated. Good that he's retiring on an up, he's been playing well this season thought he'd have another one in him.

This shows how limited your knowledge of football is.

I take it MOTD have been ringing you non-stop to be a pundit.Doesn't take a football genius to sum up his play.

His style was last ditch tackle & kick the ball as far upfield as possible.At best he made it to the half way line,got a nosebleed & ran back.

Fair enough,he always gave 100% but is a very limited footballer.

Christ almighty,if someone posts here with something other than fawning praise & arselicking then we are tarred as bitter.
    I'm sorry but I never bought into the hype about him & his "warrior spirit"-maybe it was the constant cliches the British media trawled out everytime he made a tackle or headed a ball but I just didn't get it.

Doesn't take a football genius to sum up his play.

And who or what does it take to dismiss a successful athlete's entire career as merely being the result of luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I take it MOTD have been ringing you non-stop to be a pundit.Doesn't take a football genius to sum up his play.

His style was last ditch tackle & kick the ball as far upfield as possible.At best he made it to the half way line,got a nosebleed & ran back.

Fair enough,he always gave 100% but is a very limited footballer.

Christ almighty,if someone posts here with something other than fawning praise & arselicking then we are tarred as bitter.
    I'm sorry but I never bought into the hype about him & his "warrior spirit"-maybe it was the constant cliches the British media trawled out everytime he made a tackle or headed a ball but I just didn't get it.

A very limited footballer who managed 700+ games at the highest level as a cornerstone of a team that won everything that could be won bar the league title. Good man. :rolleyes:

Carragher summed it up best in an interview a few years back when he noted that people have a completely warped view of what footballing talent is and how difficult it is to survive at the higher levels of the game.

rarnes1 wrote: »

You're fond of that word aren't you.

Not bitter,just voicing my opinion.We are allowed to have differing ones or has somebody put an embargo on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its the right time for him to finish with Liverpool at the end of the season.

Hope he gets a coaching job with Liverpool he has a lot of experience and he loves the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

404404_582758065086370_690880411_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're fond of that word aren't you.

Not bitter,just voicing my opinion.We are allowed to have differing ones or has somebody put an embargo on it?

No, you're right. You are fully entitled to be wrong on the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tvercetti wrote: »
    404404_582758065086370_690880411_n.jpg
    just goes to show how good he is that more of the world class players playing against Liverpool at least twice a season couldnt score more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement