Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Caragher Announces His Retirement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

zerks wrote: »
    I take it MOTD have been ringing you non-stop to be a pundit.Doesn't take a football genius to sum up his play.

His style was last ditch tackle & kick the ball as far upfield as possible.At best he made it to the half way line,got a nosebleed & ran back.

Fair enough,he always gave 100% but is a very limited footballer.

Christ almighty,if someone posts here with something other than fawning praise & arselicking then we are tarred as bitter.
    I'm sorry but I never bought into the hype about him & his "warrior spirit"-maybe it was the constant cliches the British media trawled out everytime he made a tackle or headed a ball but I just didn't get it.
    Carragher had a great attitude to the game. That was plain for all to see. Not sure about cliches like having a "warrior spirit", whatever that means, but he always gave his all for that club.

It's also not unfair to call him a limited player, raw talent wise. His distribution was average, his positioning was sometimes suspect and he wasn't exactly the paciest player to play the game.

All that being said, he did what many others couldn't and maximised what he did have; A good footballing brain, physicality, the ability to put in a good tackle which is lost on quite a few players (the Nani tackle notwithstanding :p ) and a drive and determination to succeed and keep his place at a big 4 club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Carragher had a great attitude to the game. That was plain for all to see. Not sure about cliches like having a "warrior spirit", whatever that means, but he always gave his all for that club.

It's also not unfair to call him a limited player, raw talent wise. His distribution was average, his positioning was sometimes suspect and he wasn't exactly the paciest player to play the game.

All that being said, he did what many others couldn't and maximised what he did have; A good footballing brain, physicality, the ability to put in a good tackle which is lost on quite a few players (the Nani tackle notwithstanding :p ) and a drive and determination to succeed and keep his place at a big 4 club.

You summed up what I was saying about him pretty well there.I did say he gave his all in games so couldn't be criticised for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

You summed up what I was saying about him pretty well there.I did say he gave his all in games so couldn't be criticised for that.

Erm, no he didn't.

Phlegmy gave a fair assesment of Carragher.

You said he "should thank God every day for being lucky enough to somehow be a professional footballer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I take it MOTD have been ringing you non-stop to be a pundit.Doesn't take a football genius to sum up his play.

His style was last ditch tackle & kick the ball as far upfield as possible.At best he made it to the half way line,got a nosebleed & ran back.

Fair enough,he always gave 100% but is a very limited footballer.

Christ almighty,if someone posts here with something other than fawning praise & arselicking then we are tarred as bitter.
    I'm sorry but I never bought into the hype about him & his "warrior spirit"-maybe it was the constant cliches the British media trawled out everytime he made a tackle or headed a ball but I just didn't get it.

Firstly, im not a huge fan of Jamie Carragher's ability with a football at his feet but..............

This is the type of bollocks assessment that gets trumped out by people who have a certain snobbery about what makes a footballer. It kind of reminds me of the Makelele debate that occurs now and again.

"We will not miss Makélelé. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres. Younger players will arrive who will cause Makélelé to be forgotten. - Real Madrid President.

His opinion differed from that of players like Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélelé was sold and Beckham was bought.

“Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?"

In his autobiography, published in 2006, McManaman described Makélelé as the most important and yet least appreciated midfielder at Real. Retired former Real Madrid player and captain Fernando Hierro also criticised Pérez for both Makélélé's departure and the manner of his departure, saying:

“I think Claude has this kind of gift – he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélelé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos… You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now."

Ignoring everything else, not even comparing the two players here. "Limited footballer" has many angles. Makelele and Carragher had similar abilities in terms of "footballer", ie limited. Vidic has limited ability but he makes up for it in other ways and its those ways that define Carragher too (not comparing players). Technical ability is one thing but its other virtues that always encapsulate what has been given towards an overall cause and can also define what can be lost towards that cause when it isnt there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

One word sums him up, 'Legend'

Anyone who doesn't agree can head back to their respective club threads and whine like little bitches about him over there!

I have spoken :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oscorp wrote: »
    Erm, no he didn't.

Phlegmy gave a fair assesment of Carragher.

You said he "should thank God every day for being lucky enough to somehow be a professional footballer"

Read the bit I bolded in his post,you seem so busy typing replies that you fail to read the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Cant believe I'm reading Carragher being compared to Makelele. In terms of intelligence and reading of a game they are absolute poles apart. Seriously people should need some sort of vetting on football understanding before being aloud post here.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Cant believe I'm reading Carragher being compared to Makelele. In terms of intelligence and reading of a game they are absolute poles apart. Seriously people should need some sort of vetting on football understanding before being aloud post here.

He's not comparing him to Makelele in terms of quality though, is he? His overall point is not that the two players were of similar quality, it's that technical ability is only one facet of what makes a player good and seemingly limited technical abilities can be compensated for by other qualities.

Seriously people should need some sort of vetting on reading comprehension before being aloud (sic) post here.

Read the bit I bolded in his post,you seem so busy typing replies that you fail to read the posts.

I've read your posts just fine, and while it would be convenient for you if I just stuck to the bolded text so you appear to be in league with a reasonable poster, that would just serve to gloss over your bullsh!t 'he should thank God' post.

• Advertisement

Might want to give daithijjj's post another read.
    daithijjj wrote: »
    ...Ignoring everything else, not even comparing the two players here...

He merely brought up a case of another pro being underappreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Like a reading comprehension test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I actually taught carragher retired 5 years ago....

Seriously though, good player, great club man and as a MUFC its hard to hate the ****er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol, snipe first; read posts later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Carragher should do the lottery as he's been steeped in it for years. Sunday league footballer got lucky. Fair play to him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liamalone wrote: »
    Carragher should do the lottery as he's been steeped in it for years. Sunday league footballer got lucky. Fair play to him though

'The harder I work the luckier I get'

There is nothing lucky about Carragher's lengthy run at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Thought he had retired a couple of years ago.

A decent defender but nowhere nearly as good as some are making him out to be.

I do admire players who show loyalty to a club, but having said that no other club would be mental enough to pay a player like Carragher well in excess of £4million a year.

He's not comparing him to Makelele in terms of quality though, is he? His overall point is not that the two players were of similar quality, it's that technical ability is only one facet of what makes a player good and seemingly limited technical abilities can be compensated for by other qualities.

Seriously people should need some sort of vetting on reading comprehension before being aloud (sic) post here.

By putting him in a similar 'limited footballers' category as Claude he's comparing them. I agree with that assessment too but one player made up for his limitations with his unparalleled ability in being quicker in mind than opposition, getting to knock downs/2nd balls with scary frequency and having a exceptional understanding of his position, so much so that they named it after him. His limitations didnt hinder him getting to the very very top of the game.

In comparisons Jamie's perceived strengths and contribution to the teams teams overall performances were imo always overvalued. I think his limitations were always pretty clear to see and very much hindered him.

By putting him in a similar 'limited footballers' category as Claude he's comparing them.

So if I put Cristiano Ronaldo and Joe Cole in the same category of say 'footballers capable of neat tricks and flicks' does that mean I've compared them :confused:

Oscorp wrote: »
    So if I put Cristiano Ronaldo and Joe Cole in the same category of say 'footballers capable of neat tricks and flicks' does that mean I've compared them :confused:

What? You dont go writing paragraphs about Makelele in a Jamie Carragher thread unless you're making some sort of point. The point he made was that they were both limited but made up for it in there own ways. This is a comparison, one which I disagreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Was gonna post something about my admiration for Carra but the thread seems to have populated itself with complete clowns so I'll leave ye to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Carragher was not english I doubt we would even have this thread. But the British (and Irish) love their heart-on-sleeve warriors, and throwing yourself into tackles will always take precedent over actual ability for many passionate fans.

I don't begrudge Carragher anything, he has obviously worked his arse off to achieve what he has in the game, and he certainly proved himself a top level footballer as opposed to a limited hacker. But he was never top class, he was no Hyppia, Vidic, Adams or Campbell.

He gets praise now because he is a scouser and the fans love him. If he was a foreigner he would have been eased out years ago, and this thread wouldnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Genuine bloke and player, like Paul Scholes, one of the players whom it's difficult to begrudge their wealth and status.

Despite being an inferior centre back he's worth a thousand John Terry's

If Carragher was not english I doubt we would even have this thread. But the British (and Irish) love their heart-on-sleeve warriors, and throwing yourself into tackles will always take precedent over actual ability for many passionate fans.

I don't begrudge Carragher anything, he has obviously worked his arse off to achieve what he has in the game, and he certainly proved himself a top level footballer as opposed to a limited hacker. But he was never top class, he was no Hyppia, Vidic, Adams or Campbell.

He gets praise now because he is a scouser and the fans love him. If he was a foreigner he would have been eased out years ago, and this thread wouldnt exist.

So he's a top level footballer who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry to say but that is just not true that we are only few countries who do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

As in Tony "donkey" Adams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In comparisons Jamie's perceived strengths and contribution to the teams teams overall performances were imo always overvalued. I think his limitations were always pretty clear to see and very much hindered him.

Its always funny when players that played/managed both with and against players are of one opinion, but that people on the internet always know better.

I don't think that this is just an English\Irish trait, tbf. The Spanish and Catalans love Puyol for pretty much that reason. Obviously he has ability too but they love his bruising, never-say-die style. They love Ballesteros at Levante as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Max Power wrote: »
    That's all very well but..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwt10-WYAv5P4z70f6dxkzA-KJWHnD7d_0z8m_qtHHQGn5TFy3xA

If a player is retireing and had the choice of a champions league medal or a premiership medal i imagine most would go for a champions league medal, im sure hed goive his ledt one for a league medal but such is such is life and dosent take away from his acolades and what hes done.

Anyways, thread wasent really a good idea, was always gonna descend into this sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Always like Carra, will miss him not being on the pitch, Hope he remains part of Liverpool in some capacity.

He was never world class or coveted but always performed to the best of his abilities. To register over 700 appearances, win 12 trophies - including 4 European cups, and play consistently in one of the top leagues in the world is very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A good player who gave everything. If he only had a left foot or was willing to use his left foot, he would have been world class which is why I also found it baffling when Houllier played him at left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seems a decent bloke anyway. A very limited player in terms of ability but his football brain, to use the well worn cliche, made up for that. The sort of guy you love if he's at your club and if he's not you're fairly indifferent to him.

Good luck to him and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Liamalone wrote: »

No, he was everyhing any manager would want as a centre back. Committed, inspirational, a leader, trained hard, played hard, looked after himself, looked after the young players coming into the team when he got that bit older. That's what got him to the top of his profession, not luck.

The way some people are going on about 'lucky' and 'lack of talent' they want a Ronaldo or a Messi as a centre back. :rolleyes:

Seems the type that would make a good manager, but as many have shown before, it doesn't always work out like that.

Brilliant career Carra and good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Retires with a goal aggregate of -3.

Should have been a golfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tbh he should have retired in the summer gone by. He'd been on a steady decline for a few years.

Having said all that there was a period of time where i couldn't imagine a team without Carragher in the side. Its no coincidence that his best football for Liverpool was when Rafa was manager, but thats an argument for another thread.

For four seasons he was one of the top cb's in the league and deservedly so. He could have walked into any starting lineup in the world if he wanted to. He was a leader and fearless. What he lacked in attributes like pace he made up for in bravery and the will to win at all costs.

Fans of United and Everton might not see him as a legend but he is most definitely a Liverpool legend. He still wouldn't make it into my top 20 Liverpool players though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

super-rush wrote: »
    Tbh he should have retired in the summer gone by. He'd been on a steady decline for a few years.

Having said all that there was a period of time where i couldn't imagine a team without Carragher in the side. Its no coincidence that his best football for Liverpool was when Rafa was manager, but thats an argument for another thread.

For four seasons he was one of the top cb's in the league and deservedly so. He could have walked into any starting lineup in the world if he wanted to. He was a leader and fearless. What he lacked in attributes like pace he made up for in bravery and the will to win at all costs.

Fans of United and Everton might not see him as a legend but he is most definitely a Liverpool legend. He still wouldn't make it into my top 20 Liverpool players though.

Now is the best time for him to retire.

He'll be in the team until the end of the season most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A player who got lucky? Joseph Lapira is a player who got lucky. Jamie Carragher was a fantastic player for Liverpool, the fact that he has played over 700 games proves that. I think because the way the game has developed lately and the fact that Carragher has been going downhill the past few years has skewed peoples views on how good he was, never a world class footballer but made up for his lack of ability with his courage, attitude and hard work. Anyone who doubts him, have a look back at some of his performances the year Liverpool won the champions league, then tell me he was lucky. Should be a role model to young kids on how far hard work can get you. Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do after he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

FFS the way some people are describing Caragher's abilities you'd swear he was no better than McShane ... cop yourselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

FYI

why this thread about a poor footballer is so well received on boards.ie(an irish website):

10. After the UK, there are more Registered Users in the official#LFC website from Ireland than from any other country in the world

http://www.theuksportsnetwork.com/top-10-stats-from-liverpool-fcs-international-digital-development-programme

How he became a legend for being a poor footballer is lost on me. Suppose hes up there with Gary Neville a Man Utd legend who was not very good at the game of football but made a decent living out of it.

"Commited" i suppose works for clubs who pay players 80k a week who are ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I love when idiots call professional footballers "poor players" while they sit on their arses failing to see the problem and irony in the ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thought he was flat tyre as a right back but when he moved into centre back he had 2 or 3 years where he was as good as anyone in his position.

"Block tackle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

dreamers75 wrote: »
    FYI

why this thread about a poor footballer is so well received on boards.ie(an irish website):

10. After the UK, there are more Registered Users in the official#LFC website from Ireland than from any other country in the world

http://www.theuksportsnetwork.com/top-10-stats-from-liverpool-fcs-international-digital-development-programme

How he became a legend for being a poor footballer is lost on me. Suppose hes up there with Gary Neville a Man Utd legend who was not very good at the game of football but made a decent living out of it.

"Commited" i suppose works for clubs who pay players 80k a week who are ****.
    :pac:

:pac:

Melion wrote: »
    I love when idiots call professional footballers "poor players" while they sit on their arses failing to see the problem and irony in the ridiculous statement.

This is literally the weakest argument that gets trotted out here an astonishing amount of times. You do not need to have played the game at any level to have a worthwhile opinion or to make judgement of a player. Some of the greatest managers never played the game, there's far more knowledgeable pundits who've never played out there than those who had were the standard of those is in general pretty terrible.

This is literally the weakest argument that gets trotted out here an astonishing amount of times. You do not need to have played the game at any level to have a worthwhile opinion or to make judgement of a player. Some of the greatest managers never played the game, there's far more knowledgeable pundits who've never played out there than those who had were the standard of those is in general pretty terrible.
    You dont, but in the same vein dont expect your opinion on an anonymous internet forum to carry any weight either. If im going to value the opinion of people I dont know on the matter, ill be listening to his fellow professionals and coaches/managers thanks.

Hes not a poor player or even close. Frankly thats just a stupid thing to say.

You dont, but in the same vein dont expect your opinion on an anonymous internet forum to carry any weight either. If im going to value the opinion of people I dont know on the matter, ill be listening to his fellow professionals and coaches/managers thanks.

I genuinely wonder why people of your mentality post on internet forums if they're going to take nothing from them :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »

I genuinely wonder why people of your mentality post on internet forums if they're going to take nothing from them :confused:
    So if a load of professional footballers and coaches say one thing ( and its a view id share) but some bloke on the internet says the opposite, what is there to take from what that person says? I suppose I could be nice for the sake of it and give him a pat on the head but who does that help? Ill stand by my opinion that saying carragher is a poor player is stupid.

If carragher is a poor player then the top end of european football is littered with poor players and kt begs the question that why arent we all earning a living from playing football? Sure if you can get up to 100k a weak for being poor then anyone that can carry their own weight on their legs should be good for minimum wage in a lesser league.

• Advertisement

So if a load of professional footballers and coaches say one thing ( and its a view id share) but some bloke on the internet says the opposite, what is there to take from what that person says? I suppose I could be nice for the sake of it and give him a pat on the head but who does that help? Ill stand by my opinion that saying carragher is a poor player is stupid.

If carragher is a poor player then the top end of european football is littered with poor players and kt begs the question that why arent we all earning a living from playing football? Sure if you can get up to 100k a weak for being poor then anyone that can carry their own weight on their legs should be good for minimum wage in a lesser league.

I don't disagree with the assertion that saying he's a poor player is stupid but you said "dont expect your opinion on an anonymous internet forum to carry any weight".

If opinions on the internet don't carry weight then why bother interacting with these randomers? That's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If opinions on the internet don't carry weight then why bother interacting with these randomers? That's all I'm saying.

Maybe he just really loves pictures of cats?

Maybe he just really loves pictures of cats?

There are better places on the internet to get pussy ;)

When did I say he was a poor player?

When did I say he was a poor player?
    I never said you did. The 2nd part of my post was a reply to dreamers who said he was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement