Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Caragher Announces His Retirement

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    FYI

why this thread about a poor footballer is so well received on boards.ie(an irish website):

10. After the UK, there are more Registered Users in the official#LFC website from Ireland than from any other country in the world

http://www.theuksportsnetwork.com/top-10-stats-from-liverpool-fcs-international-digital-development-programme

How he became a legend for being a poor footballer is lost on me. Suppose hes up there with Gary Neville a Man Utd legend who was not very good at the game of football but made a decent living out of it.

"Commited" i suppose works for clubs who pay players 80k a week who are ****.

This is a really dreadful post. The ability of the average man to downplay how astoundingly athletic and - yes - talented you have to be to survive as a mere hoofer (relatively speaking) at the highest level amazes me. 99.9% of people playing football in this world dream of being as "****" as Jamie Carragher was / is at football.

Also, seen as you have some desire to inject the LOI and "REAL FANDOM"tm into this topic: let me assure you that Carragher was much, much better than any player you'll have witnessed at a live LOI game in your lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, seen as you have some desire to inject the LOI and "REAL FANDOM"tm into this topic: let me assure you that Carragher was much, much better than any player you'll have witnessed at a live LOI game in your lifetime.
    Oooh that's a risky one Lloyd.......

012751.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pighead wrote: »

My vote goes to you Pighead. Just:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

012751.jpg

Don't think Dreamers is old enough to have been attending games in 1982.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

A very good servant for Liverpool, all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don't think Dreamers is old enough to have been attending games in 1982.
    Have no idea what age he is but...how can Pighead put this delicately...he sometimes comes across as being a bit of a grumpy old (cuddly)man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have no idea what age he is but...how can Pighead put this delicately...he sometimes comes across as being a bit of a grumpy old (cuddly)man.

I've met the man. I'd put him around my own age, which is where my guess is coming from :)

Don't know if that makes his grumpiness even worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Carragher was more than just a committed professional who gave his all. For about 3-4 years he was one of the top centre-backs in Europe. this is a stage in which English teams were dominating in Europe and were often doing so because of very solid backlines. Liverpool were one of the best performing teams in Europe, consistently making some sort of challenge for the Champions League and Carragher would have been seen as a key part of these teams.

He was only kept out of the England team during these years by Ferdinand and Terry at their peak, arguably the 2 best centre-backs we've seen in the league since its inception, so he was arguably unlucky not to have made more of an impact at international level.

He wasn't one of the all-time Premier League greats, but he was more than a committed local lad that played a lot of matches. It's not just because of this that he will be remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm amazed that people honestly believe that the likes of Carragher and Neville can keep their places in top Premier League sides 10-15 years whist being technically limited.

Really how could they reach that level without having technical ability (not 100% certain what that is anyway!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Thanks Jamie, for the 2 OGs v United in '99 ;)

All jokes aside, you'll find very few players more committed and dedicated to his club, for that I've gained a lot of respect for him in recent years. Seems like a really down to earth guy too, a "funny nutter" according to Rio Ferdinand on twitter.

I wish him all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Morzadec wrote: »
    wCarragher was more than just a committed professional who gave his all. For about 3-4 years he was one of the top centre-backs in Europe. this is a stage in hich English teams were dominating in Europe and were often doing so because of very solid backlines. Liverpool were one of the best performing teams in Europe, consistently making some sort of challenge for the Champions League and Carragher would have been seen as a key part of these teams.

tbf its hard to argue with that and I would agree to certain extent.

I guess to some (me included) he declined little quicker then expected going from Very Good to Ordinary bit quicker then most players.

Even as a United fan though his performances from time to time were excellent and if he really was a poor as some suggest then he would not have been highly regarded even by Liverpool fans.

I think why I liked him because he was honest and whatever he thought about someone he would speak his mind and never prentended to like somebody for sake of it. That is something I like in person and maybe why I do have a liking for him even if I was roaring against him more then not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

tbf its hard to argue with that and I would agree to certain extent.

I guess to some (me included) he declined little quicker then expected going from Very Good to Ordinary bit quicker then most players.

Even as a United fan though his performances from time to time were excellent and if he really was a poor as some suggest then he would not have been highly regarded even by Liverpool fans.

I think why I liked him because he was honest and whatever he thought about someone he would speak his mind and never prentended to like somebody for sake of it. That is something I like in person and maybe why I do have a liking for him even if I was roaring against him more then not.

That's fair enough also. He's had a few not very good performances over the last few years.

But some people tend to forget that he was a very very good player. And whatever about technical ability/pace (which probably isn't as bad as some are suggesting), a huge part of playing centre-back is in your head, and Carragher was up there with the best of them at his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A great player who was 100% committed to the cause every time he took to the field. I'd compare him to another great and one of my favourite players Kevin Moran. He would put his body on the line, stick his head in anywhere to stop the opposition. And a one club man to boot. I just couldn't say enough good things about the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Liamalone wrote: »
    Carragher should do the lottery as he's been steeped in it for years. Sunday league footballer got lucky. Fair play to him though

Wow just wow. I despise the use of the term footballer as an insult because he's not technically gifted, he'd to work for it very few are gifted but thanks to the internet and constant coverage of la liga etc people see these wonderful players who play a game both beautiful to watch and a game until a few years ago very few even saw.

My point being that the attitude of 'poor technically so has to be lucky' is one that really points out the ignorance some people have towards the game. Thats just my opinion and i'm not posting in this thread again because your comment is actually really annoying and I got sick of getting banned a few years back.

Although I will ask you, every time carragher blocked a ball, got a last ditch tackle or won a header. Was he lucky that the ball happened to go where he was? Now thats over 700 games he got lucky in is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised by some of the comments in the last few pages of this thread.
    Some have short memories. Carragher has been more of a squad player the last couple of seasons but in his prime he was easily one of the best defenders in the league and was a leader for Liverpool on numerous occasions. I think talk of him being limited and average is way off the mark.

I was also impressed with him as a pundit at the Euros as he didn't peddle the usual cliched garbarge.

Surprised by some of the comments in the last few pages of this thread.
    Some have short memories. Carragher has been more of a squad player the last couple of seasons but in his prime he was easily one of the best defenders in the league and was a leader for Liverpool on numerous occasions. I think talk of him being limited and average is way off the mark.

I was also impressed with him as a pundit at the Euros as he didn't peddle the usual cliched garbarge.

On the flipside, you can see the guys that actually know what they are talking about, and have knowledge about the game regardless of who they support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Personally, I think he is up there as one of the most overrated footballers of the Premiership era. I'm a Man Utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

statss wrote: »
    Personally, I think he is up there as one of the most overrated footballers of the Premiership era. I'm a Man Utd fan.

I'm in the same boat, I respect what he has done throughout his career but I never regarded him as one of the leagues best center backs, maybe its because of his low profile or whatever. Nevertheless he had a fantastic career

012751.jpg

Lifetime was an important word there. I'm sure the further you go back the more top players you'd find inhabiting the LOI for at least a portion of their careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

@Lloyd

You must spend a lot of time typing your responses on here. I mean to go into such detail.

You are the master of straddling the fence.

@Lloyd

You must spend a lot of time typing your responses on here. I mean to go into such detail.

I wouldn't have considered myself much of a fence sitter tbh. As for time spent typing posts, 20k in I'd be disappointed if I couldn't post what I want quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

@Lloyd

Christ. Come into the Liverpool thread once in a while. Llyod is far from a fence sitter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Knex. wrote: »
    Christ. Come into the Liverpool thread once in a while. Llyod is far from a fence sitter :D

Maybe the wrong choice of phrase. Lloyd likes to position himself above any argument rather than either side.

As for Liverpool thread suggestion.

I have no intention of chasing the white rabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Maybe the wrong choice of phrase. Lloyd likes to position himself above any argument rather than either side.

As for Liverpool thread suggestion.

I have no intention of chasing the white rabbit.

I mostly disagree with Loyd's assessment of where were are, but I can't agree with your assessment of him! He is very opinionated and has no qualms about taking a side.

Advertisement