Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Can they do that.... **Runs to get my S4**

Ya...press the photo button while recording a video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

projectgtr wrote: »
    actually just noticed the video is very choppy, tbh i just want it for the Photosphere so i dont mind at all

Yeah something wrong with it. Even though its set to 1080p the video is all pixelated in the view finder.

Maybe some incompatibility :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I have an S4 clone so hoping the settings are the same! Under Settings, Notifications, Default Notification, you can set your own tone. However, this tone is used for both incoming e-mail and text messages. I don't want it for e-mail as I'm persecuted every time I get new mail :mad:. Is there any way of adjusting this? Can't do it from the settings screen. Is there a way around it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have an S4 clone so hoping the settings are the same! Under Settings, Notifications, Default Notification, you can set your own tone. However, this tone is used for both incoming e-mail and text messages. I don't want it for e-mail as I'm persecuted every time I get new mail :mad:. Is there any way of adjusting this? Can't do it from the settings screen. Is there a way around it?

This doesn't really have any relevance here though as your device is not a Samsung Galaxy S4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Achilles wrote: »
    This doesn't really have any relevance here though as your device is not a Samsung Galaxy S4.

She never claimed it was. She clearly stated it was a clone but was hoping the settings were the same. How about trying to be helpful rather than pointing out the obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anyone have tips on cleaning the touchscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

You can change the GMail email notification in the app, I have the same notifications for all IMs and a different one for emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Mulling over getting an S4, would anyone know where would I get a simfree version cheapest online?

Jernal wrote: »
    Anyone have tips on cleaning the touchscreen?

Bit of breath fog and the back of your t shirt works great for me :)
    Herrick wrote: »
    Mulling over getting an S4, would anyone know where would I get a simfree version cheapest online?

They are 531.91 Euro on amazon + 3.50 for parcel motel. Might be cheaper somewhere else, but if there's issue Amazon's customer care is top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

emot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gif Just Got my Membership to the Club!! I can't post here now instead of lurking emot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

emot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gif Just Got my Membership to the Club!! I can't post here now instead of lurking emot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gifemot-siren.gif

Fantastic stuff!
    Now, we just need you to send us your bank details, personal addresses, and PINs so we can, er, verify, your membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Fieldog wrote: »

Mmm the bold capped writing saying do not flash on your S4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I recently came from the iPhone after many years of owning them I decided just to jump ship
    and since I've had the s4 I'm sorry I didn't jump sooner
    and im not much of a techy fella so getting used to the s4 was a bit hard
    and that just shows that the iPhone is idiot proof in comparison
    every time I use the wifes or have to answer it, actually feel like a kids phone
    I probably haven't answered any of your questions above but its just my thoughts
    hope it helps on your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Dropped my phone and screen cracked. How much am I looking at to get it fixed and where?

iggy wrote: »
    Dropped my phone and screen cracked. How much am I looking at to get it fixed and where?

Bring it back to the place you bought it, might be more expensive but at least it will done by Sammy trained staff. You'll keep your warranty and have a good come back if any other faults develop. There's way too many threads on boards of Chinese shops ****ing up :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there anyway to transfer your playlists in itunes to the S4?

Put an custom Google edition ROM on tonight. So far so good, see how tomorrow goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

isyncr in the Google play store.
    Is there anyway to transfer your playlists in itunes to the S4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Phonemenders did one for me for 180 quid

eejit in work dropped it 10 minutes after taking it out of the box

• Advertisement

Put an custom Google edition ROM on tonight. So far so good, see how tomorrow goes.

Is it possible to install this rom without an SD card? I'm desperate for this ROM and I'm waiting for an SD card to arrive from Amazon

kingtiger wrote: »
    Phonemenders did one for me for 180 quid

eejit in work dropped it 10 minutes after taking it out of the box

Ouch. Don't think I can afford €180.
    May have to sell it as damaged.
    How much is it worth with a cracked screen.

Ouch. Don't think I can afford €180.
    May have to sell it as damaged.
    How much is it worth with a cracked screen.

150 max.

Is it possible to install this rom without an SD card? I'm desperate for this ROM and I'm waiting for an SD card to arrive from Amazon

I flashed it from my SD card but clock work mod recovery had the option to flash ROMs from both memories

I flashed it from my SD card but clock work mod recovery had the option to flash ROMs from both memories

One thing I'm having a bit of bother with is installing clockworkmod onto the phone? Have you a link you can pm me? Would really appreciate it.

One thing I'm having a bit of bother with is installing clockworkmod onto the phone? Have you a link you can pm me? Would really appreciate it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2279579

I picked up the latest version from the thread above, put phone into download mode, open Odin, select the CWM file and press start.

Takes about 15 seconds.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2279579

I picked up the latest version from the thread above, put phone into download mode, open Odin, select the CWM file and press start.

Takes about 15 seconds.

Great, thanks man! Have CWM installed now. Any ideas how I transfer the ROM to my device now? (new to Android!)

Great, thanks man! Have CWM installed now. Any ideas how I transfer the ROM to my device now? (new to Android!)

FAQ AND HOW TO

Thats as far as my help goes, search and read XDA threads, there's 1000's of guides so no need to rewrite them.

I've stupidly soft bricked my S4 messing around in CWM without the SD card and now I need to reinstall the stock firmware for it. Do you know where I can do this/get the stock firmware from? I'm with 3 Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.fonfix.ie/

Found these last week, all Galaxy S4 problems to be fixed is €141. I emailed them and they confirmed that its 140 to fix a completely shattered screen.

I dont know how reputable they are tho but someone else on here might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

hi is this a phone worth getting? good battery life? does it freeze?

jonny24ie wrote: »

Found these last week, all Galaxy S4 problems to be fixed is €141. I emailed them and they confirmed that its 140 to fix a completely shattered screen.

Cheers. I'll have a look. Got a quote on adverts. ie for €180. They say genuine Samsung parts and warranty won't be affected.
    I'm gonna go into Vodafone shop and ask how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Cheers. I'll have a look. Got a quote on adverts. ie for €180. They say genuine Samsung parts and warranty won't be affected.
    I'm gonna go into Vodafone shop and ask how much?

Let me know if your selling :)

Brought phone into them this morning at 11am. Collected it at 1pm.
    €140 it cost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Brought phone into them this morning at 11am. Collected it at 1pm.
    €140 it cost.

Thats dam good tbh, dare i say its a kinda bargain alert :P. How are you finding the repair so far?

• Advertisement

Thats dam good tbh, dare i say its a kinda bargain alert :P. How are you finding the repair so far?
    Thanks for recommending Jonny24ie
    Yea it's super job.
    Went to Vodafone shop this morning and get said about €180 to fix it. I asked him who fixes them for them and he said fonefix. :-)
    U get a receipt with the job done and your Sammy warranty is still valid.

No prob, I'll be going with them myself now so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm on 3 and still haven't got the firmware update, it's set up to download and update automatically. ...anyone else on 3, that didn't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi,

I am just wondering if any of you have these type of cases for yer phones?

http://www.grabonestore.ie/phone-wallet#deal-page-conditions

Thinking of getting one but I am unsure if I can use the camera etc if the case is on, i.e. if there is a hole for it etc,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just wondering if any of you have these type of cases for yer phones?

http://www.grabonestore.ie/phone-wallet#deal-page-conditions

Thinking of getting one but I am unsure if I can use the camera etc if the case is on, i.e. if there is a hole for it etc,

Thanks

There would be the appropriate spaces on the back just make sure you select the right one for the s4. friend has one for iphone4. Not my cup of tea though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Doom wrote: »
    I'm on 3 and still haven't got the firmware update, it's set up to download and update automatically. ...anyone else on 3, that didn't get it?

What firmware do you have? If you have a BTU version, sim free, then there is an update expected this week.

I installed a google version (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2250824). Seems a bit bland. :)

Wonder if gestures will be integrated into other roms..

After trying out stock android for a couple of days I'm going back to touch wizz. Stock android is missing way too many software features that make the S4 what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Cracked the top of my screen like a dope. How much am I looking at to repair it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Look back a few posts, someone got one fixed for €180 or less, I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Look back a few posts, someone got one fixed for €180 or less, I can't remember.

See that there now. Looks good. 140 through fonefix. Gonna look about online to see if they are any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

After trying out stock android for a couple of days I'm going back to touch wizz. Stock android is missing way too many software features that make the S4 what it is.

Really? i keep find myself back with my Galaxy Nexus, im dying to try the Stock GE ROM. is there a full release out yet or is it just the leaked version? what did you miss about Touch whiz? to me its way too childish and has way too many apps in stock form and alot of gimmicky things like all the air gestures etc. Just my 2c

projectgtr wrote: »
    Really? i keep find myself back with my Galaxy Nexus, im dying to try the Stock GE ROM. is there a full release out yet or is it just the leaked version? what did you miss about Touch whiz? to me its way too childish and has way too many apps in stock form and alot of gimmicky things like all the air gestures etc. Just my 2c

Tbh its only a couple of key features. I like the power toggles built into the notification drawer rather than using the app. All share media streaming. I don't use any of the air gestures really. I can't stand Google chrome, dolphin is a bit better but its ugly. Stock Samsung browser is the best.

Contacts in touch wizz have more functions and are easier to manage. I generally use nova launcher so in terms of home screen functions, things don't change. Also having tabbed settings is nice, while the implementation is ugly, it's functional for me.

Couple of other bits and bobs, but I find touch wizz to have more functions . I missed the S Health app too.

Thats all I can think of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bodyhead

hi is this a phone worth getting? good battery life? does it freeze?

Had mine for over a month was very happy with it, then everything went south big time

Phone started to freeze, at first I thought it was a software issue so I did a factory reset (worked on the 6th try) and tried to restart several times, no joy! Then when I did try to charge it by plugging in the cable the phone doesn't display its charging!

Warning this phone also gets very hot
    Oh nearly forget it also wiped all my photos and music from my sd

Bringing the phone back to Vodafone for repair, its my first android device and I'm less than impressed

oh and incase anybody wants to know the phone was not rooted nor was the rom changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well the files getting deleted was your doing for doing a factory reset in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

bodyhead wrote: »
    Bringing the phone back to Vodafone for repair, its my first android device and I'm less than impressed

It's just faulty. Not all Androids or S4s go like yours. When you get your replacement it'll be grand again hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement