Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi

Wondering if anyone can sort out internet issues on my phone?
    I have unlimited usage with my plan (emobile) and it should connect to my wifi anyway at home but it won't let me use the internet still.

Would love some help,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

timetogo wrote: »
    It's just faulty. Not all Androids or S4s go like yours. When you get your replacement it'll be grand again hopefully.

In fairness it does freeze time to time for a couple of seconds. Especially if trying to go into contacts.

Also the hot potatoe issue is well know, and deemed normal
    by Samsung...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

In fairness it does freeze time to time for a couple of seconds. Especially if trying to go into contacts.

Also the hot potatoe issue is well know, and deemed normal
    by Samsung...

I didn't notice either prob on mine.

Mine gets warm if I have the bluetooth streaming to my car radio & the gps on with google navigation and the screen on for half an hour. I'd assume that's pretty heavy usage though. It doesn't get warm in any other scenario. And I've a plastic cover over mine which probably isn't helping the airflow.

So far mine hasn't frozen at all. Contacts takes about 1 -> 2 secs to start. My last phone was as laggy as hell so I've noticed that this one isn't.

Mines about a month old. I'm hoping it stays the way it is so far. :cool:

Mine was till I put a custom ROM on it. Sometimes is just put the phone on my pocket with no apps running and it gets hot for no reason.

I should point out this is 2nd S4 and both of them have same issue. As said, a lot of people never had a note 2, but that phone was buttery smooth and then only got hot playing games.

Mine was till I put a custom ROM on it. Sometimes is just put the phone on my pocket with no apps running and it gets hot for no reason.

That does not sound good at all. Maybe there are different revisions???
    You were saying Samsung know about this. Are there any links with more info. You'd imagine it'd be something easy to fix if a custom rom fixed it. I'd guess that means the hardware is OK.

Since I got mine 2 major updates were pushed down to it. Maybe one of those fixed it. I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi

Wondering if anyone can sort out internet issues on my phone?
    I have unlimited usage with my plan (emobile) and it should connect to my wifi anyway at home but it won't let me use the internet still.

Would love some help,

Thanks

You may need to look at your APN settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bodyhead

Achilles wrote: »
    Well the files getting deleted was your doing for doing a factory reset in fairness.

Apologies for the lack of detail I was annoyed and pissed off when I posted, just to clarify my files got wiped BEFORE I did a factory reset, it happened when I was copying stuff to the SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bodyhead wrote: »
    Apologies for the lack of detail I was annoyed and pissed off when I posted, just to clarify my files got wiped BEFORE I did a factory reset, it happened when I was copying stuff to the SD

Ahh. That sucks.

It's just faulty. Not all Androids or S4s go like yours. When you get your replacement it'll be grand again hopefully.

Hope so brought it down to local vodafone store today, said it will take bout a week to fix or replaced, fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Im having a seriously annoying issue, to the point i wanted to bounce the phone off a wall today, when the battery gets to the end (roughly 5%) i get a notice and it darkens the screen to the point i can barely make it out (specially in this weather) but when i go back into settings/screen it wont allow me to adjust the screen brightness at all. i had a look around various settings and i can find a solution i hope im looking in the wrong place :mad: has anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Anyone have issues with the sim card slipping out of place? It looks fine when I open the back cover but the phone is busy telling me there's no sim card inserted.

Seems to mostly happen when walking to/from work but it's a gentle enough walk and it only happens sometimes - twice today but not for 2/3 weeks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with the sim card slipping out of place? It looks fine when I open the back cover but the phone is busy telling me there's no sim card inserted.

Seems to mostly happen when walking to/from work but it's a gentle enough walk and it only happens sometimes - twice today but not for 2/3 weeks before.

I WAS having this problem for the first week or so when I got the phone and was getting seriously pissed off, whenever I took the back of the phone the SIM card looked fine where it was but after a little fidgeting I realised I hadn't placed it properly.
    Turns out I had to push it all the way in till you hear a click which I didn't know the first time I put it in.
    Hope that helps cos I've no idea after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

projectgtr wrote: »
    Im having a seriously annoying issue, to the point i wanted to bounce the phone off a wall today, when the battery gets to the end (roughly 5%) i get a notice and it darkens the screen to the point i can barely make it out (specially in this weather) but when i go back into settings/screen it wont allow me to adjust the screen brightness at all. i had a look around various settings and i can find a solution i hope im looking in the wrong place :mad: has anyone any ideas?

I think thats a standard sammy thing for a low battery, (battery saving) you need to put it on charg in order to adjust the brightness.

god's toy wrote: »
    I think thats a standard sammy thing for a low battery, (battery saving) you need to put it on charg in order to adjust the brightness.

So there's no manual override? If that's true that's the stupidest "feature" Samsung have put on their phones. It makes it unuseable. If I can get past it I'll be dumping touch whiz and going back to Stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

So there's no manual override? If that's true that's the stupidest "feature" Samsung have put on their phones. It makes it unuseable. If I can get past it I'll be dumping touch whiz and going back to Stock.

I don't see it as a stupid feature, its trying to save the 5% for absolute emergencies.

Imagine if you needed to make a phone call only to find the phone wasted the last of its energy powering the screen or some stupid app.

Yes its not very bright , but (to me) its still readable.

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I don't see it as a stupid feature, its trying to save the 5% for absolute emergencies.

Imagine if you needed to make a phone call only to find the phone wasted the last of its energy powering the screen or some stupid app.

Yes its not very bright , but (to me) its still readable.
    If there's no override I'd consider it a stupid feature, and when you work outdoors that auto dim makes the screen near un-usable. Never had this issue with my nexus , so a stock ROM is looking like the way to go, or trade up to the next nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

kkhornet wrote: »
    I WAS having this problem for the first week or so when I got the phone and was getting seriously pissed off, whenever I took the back of the phone the SIM card looked fine where it was but after a little fidgeting I realised I hadn't placed it properly.
    Turns out I had to push it all the way in till you hear a click which I didn't know the first time I put it in.
    Hope that helps cos I've no idea after that

:o

Perfect, thanks! First time I've had a phone that uses a micro-sim and didn't realise it'd need to hear the click, thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I think I might have broken something in the sim card holder.

EDIT 2: Nope, not broken! But I found out if I did break it, I could get it fixed (under warranty) for free!

Hi

I am after running out of space!! If I get a memory card will that work on any files that I want to download?

Going to try to get one at lunchtime if so.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If there's no override I'd consider it a stupid feature, and when you work outdoors that auto dim makes the screen near un-usable. Never had this issue with my nexus , so a stock ROM is looking like the way to go, or trade up to the next nexus.

Stick stock Android 4.3 on it, you will be back in touchwiz free droid goodness in no time....

Hi

I am after running out of space!! If I get a memory card will that work on any files that I want to download?

Going to try to get one at lunchtime if so.

Thanks

I use Estrongs File manager. When you click download in a browser it'll ask you which app to use to Download. If you choose Estrongs it'll download to the folder you've chosen in that app. Which in my case is on my SDCard. You can just default it to Estrongs and all downloads will go to your SD in future.

There's more than that though.
    1: You can default your camera to save files to SDCard.
    2: You can move many applications from internal memory to SDCard. Doesn't work with all but its useful.
    3: Many applications that use large data, like Podcast downloaders, can be told to use the SD card rather than the internal memory.

On my phone I've 2.3Gb of internal memory used. Everything else uses the SD. And I've looooads of apps on mine.

• Advertisement

Oh thank you so much.

What kind of card or gigobite am I looking for so?

Glas I can default stuff to save on the SD card.

Oh thank you so much.

What kind of card or gigobite am I looking for so?

This'd do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32gb%20class%2010%20micro

I've an old 32GB card in mine. It's class 2 but it works perfectly.
    I should really get a class 10.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

I think the S4 supports the 64Gb size too.

Just for that bit (as it's slightly convoluted).

1: Put in SD card & boot up phone.
    2: Install Estrongs File Manager
    3: Open it and go into Settings
    4: Click Directory Setting
    5: Click Download Path and point it at /sdcard/Download (if the folder doesn't exist then create it).
    6: Open Chrome and try to download a file. You'll get a screen asking if you'd like to use Chrome or ES Downloader. Choose ES Downloader and click Always.

Done. All downloads will go to SD Card in future.

There may be a simpler way but you only have to do the above steps once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I'm having an issue at the moment charging my S4. I'm charging from roughly 5-10% power.

Last week it took 6 hours + to recharge, last weekend it took only 2 hours and yesterday again it took 6 hours +.

Just for that bit (as it's slightly convoluted).

1: Put in SD card & boot up phone.
    2: Install Estrongs File Manager
    3: Open it and go into Settings
    4: Click Directory Setting
    5: Click Download Path and point it at /sdcard/Download (if the folder doesn't exist then create it).
    6: Open Chrome and try to download a file. You'll get a screen asking if you'd like to use Chrome or ES Downloader. Choose ES Downloader and click Always.

Done. All downloads will go to SD Card in future.

There may be a simpler way but you only have to do the above steps once.

What I downloaded is called ES File Explorer?
    When I go into it I can't find anything about settings

I'm having an issue at the moment charging my S4. I'm charging from roughly 5-10% power.

Last week it took 6 hours + to recharge, last weekend it took only 2 hours and yesterday again it took 6 hours +.

How are you charging? from your PC by USB or by the charger?

It could change depending on which you use,

According to the screenshots on the google play page it should be on the right side of the bottom toolbar, but that could've changed with an update I'm guessing.

You could try pressing the left button on the device by the home button, just a guess.

Yeah you do. Hit the settings button on the phone (the one to the left of the home button).

You'll see the settings menu down at the bottom of the screen (shown in the attached screenshot).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can see why some people like it but personally, it's way too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Looks lovely...I am tempted. Damn you!

Yeah you do. Hit the settings button on the phone (the one to the left of the home button).

You'll see the settings menu down at the bottom of the screen (shown in the attached screenshot).

Thank you so much for your help.

My photos are going automatically to the memory card now......just can't seem to find them on the memory card now....God I must be making a mountain out of a molehill!

But I would appreciate your help,

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help.

My photos are going automatically to the memory card now......just can't seem to find them on the memory card now....God I must be making a mountain out of a molehill!

But I would appreciate your help,

Thanks

Look for a folder called DCIM (Digital Camera IMages), they are normally in there

I just found that.

I made a big boo boo. I downloaded so many audio files (some an hour long) that I ran out of my 50MB daily allowance.

I thought I had unlimited web access. Now I have my internet turned off and so I suppose I have to stick to a Wi Fi area.

I'm sad!

I just found that.

I made a big boo boo. I downloaded so many audio files (some an hour long) that I ran out of my 50MB daily allowance.

I thought I had unlimited web access. Now I have my internet turned off and so I suppose I have to stick to a Wi Fi area.

I'm sad!

Be very careful, you don't go over your allowance , I've 1GB and its limiting.

If you haven't already you can set the phone to automatically turn of the data if you go over.

Its in settings > data usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    Has anyone used Deezer at all? Does anyone know what happens after the 15 day trial on Android!?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

just bought the s4 after having my s3 stolen, anyone recommend an sd card to buy online?

just bought the s4 after having my s3 stolen, anyone recommend an sd card to buy online?

Amazon is always a safe bet. You can get Sandisks of all sizes at a fair price, though the Samsung's are meant to a little better and faster, but they cost a bit more.

I have a 64GB San disk and works fine.

Amazon is always a safe bet. You can get Sandisks of all sizes at a fair price, though the Samsung's are meant to a little better and faster, but they cost a bit more.

I have a 64GB San disk and works fine.

is it a micro card i am looking for?

• Advertisement

is it a micro card i am looking for?

Yes. MicroSD

In other news. Got my Neo Hybrid case today. Beautiful case!!! But probably won't use it. Already wrote to seller asking for a refund.

Volume rocker and power buttons are nearly impossible to press and no headphone jack will fit into the tiny hole they made. Useless case in my eyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had a screen guard on my phone for the last couple of months, it lifted this evening and I took it off, my gawd the screen is wonderful, even the feel of it is better, but I'm paranoid of scratching the screen, anyone recommend a good screen guard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I have an Invisishield on mine since the day I bought it in CPW (i have it a couple months now) and I'm really happy with it. I don't actually have a case only the front guard as I feel the screen is the only part worth protecting and the invisishield provides exactly the protection I need.

Only downside is part of the glue seems to be fading around the bottom edge so I've had to cut that bit of the screen guard off but at least the main screen is protected and if you put it on correctly it's nearly impossible to tell you have even something on the phone.

The screen on my S4 smashed today. The digitizer still works. Anyone know where I can get it repaired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

The screen on my S4 smashed today. The digitizer still works. Anyone know where I can get it repaired?

I heard a few good things about http://www.fonfix.ie/

There was a few posts about them in this thread and apparently they are the crowd Vodafone use to fix issues... thinks its around 140 for a repair.

Do you not have insurance on it?

Nope! Stupidly didnt get insurance.

• Advertisement

Just got a price of 299!!! they say they need to replace the LCD screen too. I checked online and there is a tutorial to replace the screen on its own. Im not sure if i should attempt it myself though......dammit!

EDIT** I should mention that it was GSM solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Yes. MicroSD

In other news. Got my Neo Hybrid case today. Beautiful case!!! But probably won't use it. Already wrote to seller asking for a refund.

Volume rocker and power buttons are nearly impossible to press and no headphone jack will fit into the tiny hole they made. Useless case in my eyes.

I have the Neo Hybrid on mine and everything works perfectly.

Well I got my S4 back from Vodafone on Friday and guess what? Its only been a day and the same fault is still there!

The repair doc says it was a faulty battery and they have replaced it with a new one, sorry guys its going back again and if its not fixed the second time I'm asking for my money back.

Wonderful phone! ****e build quality!mad.png

Such a pain!

small question and most likely stupid but i can't find where to change the clock to 24hr format?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

small question and most likely stupid but i can't find where to change the clock to 24hr format?

Settings --> More --> Date and Time --> Use 24-hour format

• Advertisement
Advertisement