Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thinking of selling S3 and get S4.I know someone who works with Samsung but with discount costs about €500 unlocked.

Want to compare this checked Amazon any other good places online where to buy phone?

Thanks

Just got a price of 299!!! they say they need to replace the LCD screen too. I checked online and there is a tutorial to replace the screen on its own. Im not sure if i should attempt it myself though......dammit!

EDIT** I should mention that it was GSM solutions

With the S3, you could buy the replacement glass for €15 and replace it yourself (if you take your time, and follow an online tutorial carefully). The worst that would happen is that you mess it up, then have to pay for a full screen replacement anyway.

If the digitizer still works, then it's worth having a crack yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Basil3 wrote: »
    With the S3, you could buy the replacement glass for €15 and replace it yourself (if you take your time, and follow an online tutorial carefully). The worst that would happen is that you mess it up, then have to pay for a full screen replacement anyway.

Should add it will void your warranty too!

Should add it will void your warranty too!

Not necessarily.....I'm sure I've seen YouTube videos where the entire process is completed without disassembling the phone, so wouldn't affect warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Basil3 wrote: »

It sure is. I changed the screen on a good few devices myself, nintendo DS, Lg Optimus Black, two nokia's. Each time I bought the parts on the net and then followed the some you tube videos. The only problem I had was finding glue strips to stick the glass back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Has anyone had an issue where say every other week or so their S4 forgets WiFi keys/pass phrases ?

My S4 randomly keeps loosing / forgetting WiFi passwords of 4 regular WiFi networks I am using on a daily basis, where as there never seems to be an issue with networks that I am not regularly using.

The networks that the phone keeps loosing have not had any settings or pass phrases changed since before I bought my S4, and no other device has this issue with the same networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'll ask anyway!

My girlfriend recently got an S4, and is trying to change the ringtone. However, when she tries, she gets a folder browser screen as opposed to simply a list of available tones, like I get on mine. She thinks that this is because the last time she tried it, she selected that option and clicked the "use this every time" button. Is there any way to reverse this? I had a play yesterday evening but couldn't figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Go to settings....My device....sound....3rd one down is ringtones, select this and it will show the available ringtones.
    You could reset app preferences.....settings....more....application manager, select menu (left touch button beside the home button) and from here select reset app preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I just flashed cm10.1 on i9505 and it's great. I might miss some of original samsung features, but cm option to set any RGB colour (+ some pulse pattern *) to any type of notification is absolutely fantastic!

CM10.1 doesn't support exfat, so if you have a 64GB sd card _read_ before flashing.

* - the colour and pulse applies to RGB led on top of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

markad1 wrote: »
    Go to settings....My device....sound....3rd one down is ringtones, select this and it will show the available ringtones.
    You could reset app preferences.....settings....more....application manager, select menu (left touch button beside the home button) and from here select reset app preferences.

I just tried resetting the app preferences and this worked perfectly, thanks for the help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I just flashed cm10.1 on i9505 and it's great. I might miss some of original samsung features, but cm option to set any RGB colour (+ some pulse pattern *) to any type of notification is absolutely fantastic!

CM10.1 doesn't support exfat, so if you have a 64GB sd card _read_ before flashing.

* - the colour and pulse applies to RGB led on top of the phone.

Sounds good mate! Has anyone been able to flash the official Google Edition Galaxy S4 ROM yet? If so how easy was it to do and how is the ROM running? Does it still lag at times, especially when hot at the back and during charging? Also, is there much more free space?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just got my S4.

One quick question, is there any reason to install Kies?

All of my contacts and apps have restored from Google Play Backup, all of my photos and music can be transferred by USB as a Removable Drive, I've just installed the latest firmware update over the air, what else might I need Kies for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

hardCopy wrote: »
    Just got my S4.

One quick question, is there any reason to install Kies?

All of my contacts and apps have restored from Google Play Backup, all of my photos and music can be transferred by USB as a Removable Drive, I've just installed the latest firmware update over the air, what else might I need Kies for?

No idea. I don't use it anyway, I usually hate that kinda bloatware stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I installed it for my wife's S3 mini and cause of wifi connectivity on it it really affected her battery life as well as the performance of my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Grand job, had no desire to install it when all the syncing features are handled by android already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Does anyone know if you can use group play on the wifi to connect to a s3. I had a s3 play a song on group play but I couldn't connect to it.
    Is it only connection through aps now or how can I connect using the wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Any idea when we will get the new update that allows apps be put on the sd card?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Hey guys,

My Samsung S4 fell out of my pocket today and hit the ground, the side got a little dented and a small spot of ink developed in the corner and slowly bleeding to the rest of the screen. The touch screen seems fine but the bleeding and the color scheme seems a bit washed and lacks vibrancy and the screen flickers a lot which is only noticeable when the background is white.

I've never broke a phone before or had a smartphone, what's the procedure here? I didn't take out insurance either, which I regret now. Can this be fixed? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Cróga wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My Samsung S4 fell out of my pocket today and hit the ground, the side got a little dented and a small spot of ink developed in the corner and slowly bleeding to the rest of the screen. The touch screen seems fine but the bleeding and the color scheme seems a bit washed and lacks vibrancy and the screen flickers a lot which is only noticeable when the background is white.

I've never broke a phone before or had a smartphone, what's the procedure here? I didn't take out insurance either, which I regret now. Can this be fixed? Cheers.

Screen needs to be replaced. That crack in the screen is going to spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

I got the S4 last week. The screen rotation worked ok for a few days then its started to be in lanscape when the phone was held in potrait and vice versa, now it does not work at all. Any advice please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

marcofan wrote: »
    I got the S4 last week. The screen rotation worked ok for a few days then its started to be in lanscape when the phone was held in potrait and vice versa, now it does not work at all. Any advice please?

Did you try to turn it on? :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Go to settings, select the "More" tab and it's at the bottom of the screen.

Hey all,
    Has anyone flashed the official Google Edition Galaxy S4 ROM yet? If so how easy was it to do and how is the ROM running? Does it still lag at times, especially when hot at the back and during charging? Also, is there much more free space? Very tempted to go an flash it soon ;-)

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Has anyone flashed the official Google Edition Galaxy S4 ROM yet? If so how easy was it to do and how is the ROM running? Does it still lag at times, especially when hot at the back and during charging? Also, is there much more free space? Very tempted to go an flash it soon ;-)

Cheers,
    M

thinking the same myself, im hating touchwhiz tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

Did you try to turn it on? :D
    Yes on and off on and off etc but no luck, any tips would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

projectgtr wrote: »

Can't you just use another launcher instead of touchwiz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can't you just use another launcher instead of touchwiz

That only changes the launcher. You still have all the other touchwiz elements there (dialler, messaging app, systems menu, the UI which is similar to the practically ancient gingerbread as opposed to the more modern looking, refined Holo on stock). Plus, you get quicker updates with stock and better performance/less lag.

That only changes the launcher. You still have all the other touchwiz elements there (dialler, messaging app, systems menu, the UI which is similar to the practically ancient gingerbread as opposed to the more modern looking, refined Holo on stock). Plus, you get quicker updates with stock and better performance/less lag.

Thats pretty much it, the whole UI on the S4 is horrible and childish, dialler sucks, messaging app pretty much the same. Plus the lag created by apps like Svoice are ridiculous, the whole system waits when you hit the home button incase you press it twice for s-voice , i know this can be disabled but , i just want a fluid OS , and my old Nexus though nearly 2 years old feels much more snappy and responsive, it has to be touchwhiz so i want to give GE ROM a go, just waiting on a micro SD

Gonna take the plunge thus weekend I think ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thats pretty much it, the whole UI on the S4 is horrible and childish, dialler sucks, messaging app pretty much the same. Plus the lag created by apps like Svoice are ridiculous, the whole system waits when you hit the home button incase you press it twice for s-voice , i know this can be disabled but , i just want a fluid OS , and my old Nexus though nearly 2 years old feels much more snappy and responsive, it has to be touchwhiz so i want to give GE ROM a go, just waiting on a micro SD

Where can the rom be Downloaded from?

On a side note, is it just me, or is there no firmwares on sammobile for this device under
    Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Thats pretty much it, the whole UI on the S4 is horrible and childish, dialler sucks, messaging app pretty much the same.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everybody else hates it.

I've used HTCs and Samsungs. I used to use the diallers and SMS apps in the market but I like the Samsung versions now.
    I prefer functionality and usefulness over shiney though so that may not be for everybody. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz either, I've put on Nexus Launcher but I do that with every Android phone I set up. I know Nexus Launcher obviously only changes the launcher so the settings menu are Touchwiz. For any setting I use frequently I just get a widget. For anything else I just live with it. The only system setting I can think of using frequently is the WiFi setting and that's only a couple of clicks to join a new network.

I saw a Galaxy Nexus a couple of days that had a ROM on it to bring it up to the latest version (4.1.2 I think). It was great for a two year old phone but it definitely wasn't snappier than my S4. The Nexus was clean, nothing except the ROM on it and my S4 has loads of apps installed on it. The Nexus was perfectly respectable and usable though.

I didn't know you could disable the lag on the button when you press home. But then I didn't notice it till I read your post :D
    If your phone is that laggy that it's annoying you there may be something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Those of you who are like me and have the unlocked version. Today is looking good for the update. :D

Server looks like it is getting battered at the moment but hopefully be able to download it at some point.

It is apparently available on kies as well but cant check until i'm home.

s8VvWaoaca8rYNuPJ7CDdHUjpumoVr7ona0KOZvmB-s?size=1280x960

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

My S4 is on Meteor. Just not got an update of around 326MB in size. Currently installing. Not sure what exactly it is but it said it's related to some system stability fixes or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

coldfire1x wrote: »
    My S4 is on Meteor. Just not got an update of around 326MB in size. Currently installing. Not sure what exactly it is but it said it's related to some system stability fixes or something like that.

Probably the update that allows you to save apps to the microsd card if the apps support the functionality

Yes but with over 300mb update there's probably more to it than just micro sd card apps move.

Update installed. It feels a bit smoother to navigate around. Not entirely sure though if that is the case or it's just my imagination :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I definitely thought the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

markc1184 wrote: »
    I definitely thought the same.

Could one of you guys tell us the baseband version, i was going to root the phone tonight , would upgrading unroot it

/noob

Hey all,
    Plugged my S4 in to charger today and now getting this message "Charging paused. Battery temperature too low", it's barely a month old!! Had anyone seen this before? There does not seem to be a definitive fix from what I read online bar sending it back to Samsung for repair :-(

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hey all,
    Plugged my S4 in to charger today and now getting this message "Charging paused. Battery temperature too low", it's barely a month old!! Had anyone seen this before? There does not seem to be a definitive fix from what I read online bar sending it back to Samsung for repair :-(

Cheers,
    M
    Never seen that before i'm afraid.

Get your hands on another battery, either from a friend or ask a phone shop can they swap the battery with the demo unit or something. try charging it then and see what happens.

It could be just a faulty battery (fingers crossed)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Never seen that before i'm afraid.

Get your hands on another battery, either from a friend or ask a phone shop can they swap the battery with the demo unit or something. try charging it then and see what happens.

It could be just a faulty battery (fingers crossed)

Pray to God it is mate!!

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Could one of you guys tell us the baseband version, i was going to root the phone tonight , would upgrading unroot it

/noob

Baseband Version: I9595XXUBMF8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Installing the mysterious update.

seanbmc wrote: »
    Installing the mysterious update.

You on Meteor? I keep getting a message saying that the maximum number of downloads has been reached or something like that :-(

Let us know how it goes and if you see much of a difference with lag etc. after the update!

Cheers,
    M

You on Meteor? I keep getting a message saying that the maximum number of downloads has been reached or something like that :-(

Let us know how it goes and if you see much of a difference with lag etc. after the update!

Cheers,
    M

On Meteor yeah, seems to have gotten stuck though so I'll have to restart the download.

Nevermind, just going very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aclusk

Squaredude wrote: »
    I have the Neo Hybrid on mine and everything works perfectly.

Its probably a fake one the other guy has I'd say, plenty of them for sale out there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Got caught in the torrential rain a couple of hours ago and my S4 got a bit wet. Screen won't come on now.

I have it in a warm place right now and am going to leave it overnight and hope it decides to work tomorrow.

Has anyone had any water issues before? It's not insured so is it likely to cost me a pretty penny to get fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Got caught in the torrential rain a couple of hours ago and my S4 got a bit wet. Screen won't come on now.

I have it in a warm place right now and am going to leave it overnight and hope it decides to work tomorrow.

Has anyone had any water issues before? It's not insured so is it likely to cost me a pretty penny to get fixed?

Take out battery and SD card and sim and leave it in hotpress or somewhere air can get at it, or try the bowl of rice trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Take out battery and SD card and sim and leave it in hotpress or somewhere air can get at it, or try the bowl of rice trick.

Yeah I have it in a warm place alright with the battery and the sim card out. Hoping for the best.

• Advertisement

Gonna take the plunge thus weekend I think ;-)
    Let me know what you think, i just need a micro sd my missus is using my old one at the minute
    timetogo wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree with you more. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everybody else hates it.

I've used HTCs and Samsungs. I used to use the diallers and SMS apps in the market but I like the Samsung versions now.
    I prefer functionality and usefulness over shiney though so that may not be for everybody. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz either, I've put on Nexus Launcher but I do that with every Android phone I set up. I know Nexus Launcher obviously only changes the launcher so the settings menu are Touchwiz. For any setting I use frequently I just get a widget. For anything else I just live with it. The only system setting I can think of using frequently is the WiFi setting and that's only a couple of clicks to join a new network.

I saw a Galaxy Nexus a couple of days that had a ROM on it to bring it up to the latest version (4.1.2 I think). It was great for a two year old phone but it definitely wasn't snappier than my S4. The Nexus was clean, nothing except the ROM on it and my S4 has loads of apps installed on it. The Nexus was perfectly respectable and usable though.

I didn't know you could disable the lag on the button when you press home. But then I didn't notice it till I read your post :D
    If your phone is that laggy that it's annoying you there may be something wrong with it.

No i know everyone doesnt have to like it just because i do ;) i know stuff like that is personal preference as for speed my nexus runs 4.2.2 and my S4 the same, both stock. S4 is fresh 4 week old with minimal apps and the nexus had a refresh 3-4 months ago so its pretty packed with apps and content. the nexus unlocks quicker and navigates quicker, does pretty much all day to day things quicker than the s4, now only marginally but just that bit snappier. now power hungry apps and games are definitely quicker on the s4. Theres nothing wrong with my s4 ive compared it to a friends and ones in store they are all the same, and its documented well on xda. like i said its little thinks like the s4 waiting for a double click for s-voice creates a lagging effect on the home button. its little things but it gets to me after coming from a phone launched in 2011!! Personally i think its all touch whiz so as soon as i get an SD im going GE edition :D

aclusk wrote: »
    Its probably a fake one the other guy has I'd say, plenty of them for sale out there!!
    ive got the Spigen one myself , bought from SpigenUK and the gloss finish has started to peel after 2 weeks, the rear tpu casing has warped with the heat of the phone just like the spigen case i got for my Nexus :mad: think ill be contacting them myself, lovely case but that doesnt inspire hope with it lasting long, plus only 2 out of my 4 headphones fit with the case , the opening is too small :(

Advertisement