Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got the update last week or so. No such problem for me. Connects fine on my office and home wifi. I never switch it off though wherever I am it just connects.

So I dont think it's related to the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have a water damaged S4 here and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Ireland that does repairs for a reasonable price?

I was looking at a review of the teardown on ifixit and its easy enough to fix with the right tools and spare parts.

The phone itself wont turn on but the battery charge screen does turn on when plugged in but the charging image is frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

took my s4 out of my pocket today and found the screen all distorted, cant see or make sense of anything, like what the hell, theres no damage on the phone at all, hasn't been dropped or even marked for that matter and now my screen is gone?????? is this an issue with the s4?????? its on bill pay so will meteor repair of replace it? i have to say after been so impressed with it since i got it, (2 months ago) im starting to have doubts about buying it with issues like this.

has anybody else had this problem??????

steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Jeez people what would ye be doing or keeping in your pockets. My phone spends majority of the time in my front pocket without keys, coins or anything else and its fine.

Last time I heard the guy cracking or damaging a screen "from his pocket" he had to pay for the full screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

the screen isnt cracked let me be clear about that, there is not even a mark on it but the display is all distorted like the lcd is damaged, how could this happen if the phone is unmarked???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

evosteo wrote: »
    the screen isnt cracked let me be clear about that, there is not even a mark on it but the display is all distorted like the lcd is damaged, how could this happen if the phone is unmarked???????

That sounds like a faulty screen. Get onto Meteor ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

evosteo wrote: »

That can happen if there was too much pressure put on the screen, this can happen if something else was in the pocket squeezing against it or if you had it in your back pocket.

There doesn't have to be physical damage to the unit for you to have damaged the screen.

Can you post a pic of what it's like? Might give us a better idea as to what could be causing the issue.

Dropped my phone onto a tiled floor in a super market.

Cracked the **** out of the screen. Still works and all but will have to send it away with insurance :(

• Advertisement

Dropped my phone onto a tiled floor in a super market.

Cracked the **** out of the screen. Still works and all but will have to send it away with insurance :(

My god all the S4s are breaking , Whats going on.

The important thing is , you have insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I never got insurance on mine. It's about 2 months old. Is it too late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Kenno90 wrote: »
    My god all the S4s are breaking , Whats going on.

They're being dropped. I got something like this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Silicone-Samsung-Galaxy-GT-i9500/dp/B00D3M61SC/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1375953898&sr=1-18&keywords=galaxy+s4+gel+case
    I get them for every phone I get.
    I know some people don't like them as they think they make the phone look ugly. I find them decent enough looking though and they only add a few mm to the phone. And way better looking than a cracked screen.

I've dropped my S4 twice. Pretty hefty drops too. Once was from about chest height to concrete. Not a mark on the phone. Nearly gave me a heart attack though. There are some marks on the cover now but at least that only costs about €5 to replace if it annoys me.

Certainly a lot cheaper than paying a monthly insurance.

I dropped it before many times and it was grand. This time it fell the wrong way though. I had a casemate barely there case on it. Have an otterbox too, but I don't use it that much cause it's annoying in my pocket

timetogo wrote: »
    They're being dropped. I got something like this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Silicone-Samsung-Galaxy-GT-i9500/dp/B00D3M61SC/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1375953898&sr=1-18&keywords=galaxy+s4+gel+case
    I get them for every phone I get.
    I know some people don't like them as they think they make the phone look ugly. I find them decent enough looking though and they only add a few mm to the phone. And way better looking than a cracked screen.

I've dropped my S4 twice. Pretty hefty drops too. Once was from about chest height to concrete. Not a mark on the phone. Nearly gave me a heart attack though. There are some marks on the cover now but at least that only costs about €5 to replace if it annoys me.

I'm one of those people, i hate those cheap cases, whats worse is i always buy them when i get a new phone, then i get sick of it and throw it away.
    I get insurance though, so if its lost or stolen, I'm covered
    I dropped it before many times and it was grand. This time it fell the wrong way though. I had a casemate barely there case on it. Have an otterbox too, but I don't use it that much cause it's annoying in my pocket

I agree, i've dropped mine face down on to a hard wood floor and i thought that was it. But it was fine.

If it hits a weak spot then thats it, Case or no case.

This will happen with popular phones. People who may take less care of them than others will end up thinking that they're indestructible for some reason.

Same thing happens with the iPhone. They're not designed for being dropped. ;-)

• Advertisement

Noticed that on the WatchOn app UPC appeared again. Few days back it was only showing up Sky but noticed that today both Sky and UPC are there.

I will try at home to see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Noticed that on the WatchOn app UPC appeared again. Few days back it was only showing up Sky but noticed that today both Sky and UPC are there.

I will try at home to see if it works.

I had email correspondence with them last week, but it looks like they've added the wrong listing again.

They were asking me about postcodes and I explained Ireland doesn't have official postcodes. I sent them a link to the UPC website. They seem to just have added the dutch line up again or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I never got insurance on mine. It's about 2 months old. Is it too late?

https://www.chill.ie/products/gadget-insurance/quote/ Looks interesting, don't have insurance myself but might go for this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

https://www.chill.ie/products/gadget-insurance/quote/ Looks interesting, don't have insurance myself but might go for this..

Oh wow! That looks awesome!

Just out of curiosity, the difference between €8.99 & €12.99 is "loss".

How can they tell the difference between it being stolen or lost?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Oh wow! That looks awesome!

Just out of curiosity, the difference between €8.99 & €12.99 is "loss".

How can they tell the difference between it being stolen or lost?

Well they're not going to make you take a lie detector test. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Achilles wrote: »
    Well they're not going to make you take a lie detector test. ;-)

Garda reference number id imagine for theft but I often wonder with data protection can they check with garda what was it reported as, either loss or theft or do they just get a reference number and that does them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dempsey wrote: »
    I have a water damaged S4 here and I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Ireland that does repairs for a reasonable price?

I was looking at a review of the teardown on ifixit and its easy enough to fix with the right tools and spare parts.

The phone itself wont turn on but the battery charge screen does turn on when plugged in but the charging image is frozen.

www.fonfix.ie €141 all in for repair and their work is top notch, got mine repaired last week and its like a brand new phone, I recommended them on this thread a while ago and a few users have used them already and said they are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi folks,

Im loving the new S4 but am looking for ways to customise it, etc and was hoping people would be able to give me some advice on what this piece of kit is capable of?

Hi folks,

Im loving the new S4 but am looking for ways to customise it, etc and was hoping people would be able to give me some advice on what this piece of kit is capable of?

Customise how?

I heard people talking about different widgets, ROMS, etc.
    Even apps that people use that would be nice to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kildub

Thinkin of getting gs4. views appreciated. how does it compare to sg2?

kildub wrote: »
    Thinkin of getting gs4. views appreciated. how does it compare to sg2?

A lot LOT better battery!!

I heard people talking about different widgets, ROMS, etc.
    Even apps that people use that would be nice to try!

Do you have any experience with rooting and flashing roms at all? If not I'd advise against that kinda carry on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kildub

That's good. Battery rundown was an issue for me with s2. How long are you getting out of battery on average, using phone, wifi, etc?

Do you have any experience with rooting and flashing roms at all? If not I'd advise against that kinda carry on for now.

No, only JB on the iphones. Nothing with the Galaxy phones.

• Advertisement

No, only JB on the iphones. Nothing with the Galaxy phones.

Jailbreaking / rooting the phone is usually easy enough, it's the flashing of different ROMs that you have to be careful about as it's very easy to brick the device if you don't know what you're doing.

kildub wrote: »
    That's good. Battery rundown was an issue for me with s2. How long are you getting out of battery on average, using phone, wifi, etc?

Getting up to 36 hours with low enough use. 18 with moderate enough use which I'd class as about maybe 2 hours surfing intermittently, 45 mins talk and maybe 100 of texts and 8 to 12 hours of heavy use.

That said I'm using a battery saver app which only checks Internet at intervals when the screen is off. Screen use is by far the main drainer of battery according to the stats which is fairly obvious I suppose!!

I went from charging the s2 a few times a day to once a day or two with the s4 plus the charger with the s4 is superb. charges from empty to full in less than 2 hours or so

Jailbreaking / rooting the phone is usually easy enough, it's the flashing of different ROMs that you have to be careful about as it's very easy to brick the device if you don't know what you're doing.

Might leave the flashing alone so. dont want to brick it!
    Ill take a look at what rooting would give me.

Might leave the flashing alone so. dont want to brick it!
    Ill take a look at what rooting would give me.

The only advantages I see is theming, ad block and titanium backup. After that everything else is sort of meh and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Actually it is impossible to brick your phone when flashing if you have installed a recovery rom.

Actually it is impossible to brick your phone when flashing if you have installed a recovery rom.

Indeed... which I wouldn't recommend that a novice user attempt at least without somebody helping them.

My sons screen is gone dark like its on minimum brightness. The place were you adjust the screen is not showing on the pull down menu or in settings. Any ideas??

Brightness in settings is there but its greyed out and you cant push it
    The battery is showing up as 0% but its charged

My sons screen is gone dark like its on minimum brightness. The place were you adjust the screen is not showing on the pull down menu or in settings. Any ideas??

Probably the problem with the battery. If the battery percentage is low from a certain point then it will not let you increase the brightness for emergency calls etc.

Check out with another battery if you can find one.

Probably the problem with the battery. If the battery percentage is low from a certain point then it will not let you increase the brightness for emergency calls etc.

Check out with another battery if you can find one.
    Thanks, I put my battery in his, it shows 52% on my phone and 0% on his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Give the charging port a good clean with an old toothbrush, just take your time and do it lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone know how to stop the volume keys changing the size of the font in messaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

I want to use the stock email for one of my gmail accounts, I have set it up (pop3) which is done automatically and then it started to download my emails but stopped at 25 emails, I fiddled around with the settings to allow all sizes etc to down load and then set it to download all emails and not 25 but its still not working properly and has the same 23 mails from 2012!!! I have deleted the account and set it up again twice with no success, I'm not using the gmail app so I dont get confused between accounts and don't like the way the conversations come up altogether in gmail. I am getting the notifications but no emails when I go into it, I have 9gb free on the phone so its not a memory problem. Anyone encounter this or know how to solve it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

cowlick wrote: »
    Anyone encounter this or know how to solve it?

I can't help you with the stock email but have you tried K-9 Mail https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

It'll only take a minute for you to download and enter your pop settings to see if it works any better. I use that for loads of email accounts on my device.

Folks, anyone else having issues with the weather widget on the home screen not updating? When I hit the refresh icon it looks like its going to update, but then doesnt.

^^ Just tried. Mine is updating just fine.

• Advertisement

^^ Just tried. Mine is updating just fine.

Might be time for a reboot me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I dropped my S4 2day with a leather case on it, (don't know how it cracked). Now it won't turn on. Unfortunately, I had no insurance. Any ideas what to do?

leemaree wrote: »
    I dropped my S4 2day with a leather case on it, (don't know how it cracked). Now it won't turn on. Unfortunately, I had no insurance. Any ideas what to do?

Time to buy a new phone!

*edit* Cases don't make phones invincible to GForce!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CHLuke

Hi,
    This could be a stupid question, but just got the S4 and despite reading manual and a fair bit of online research, I can't seem to be able to download or save images from net or documents. (I don't mean the Snag It or screen shot function).
    When I tap the left context button, I just get a Share option, no option for save to Gallery or Downloads or anything that like that.
    I must be doing something basic wrong, any tips greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    CH Luke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

CHLuke wrote: »
    Hi,
    This could be a stupid question, but just got the S4 and despite reading manual and a fair bit of online research, I can't seem to be able to download or save images from net or documents. (I don't mean the Snag It or screen shot function).
    When I tap the left context button, I just get a Share option, no option for save to Gallery or Downloads or anything that like that.
    I must be doing something basic wrong, any tips greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    CH Luke

For downloading images through the browser just press and hold the image and a pop-up menu should present the option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement