Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CHLuke

Thanks very much, it seems to work fine when I select Chrome as browser, but when I was using the Google search bar that appears on the 'home screen', I was unable to download.
    Thanks for the help techdiver.
    CH Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So I bought a 32gig micro sd card a while ago to put my music on so I can listen on my S4, was working great, but now its no longer appearing to recognize the card? A google of this issue seems to show that is not exclusive to just me. Anyone else get this problem?? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/736617-sd-card-not-recognized-galaxy-s4.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hey,

Has anyone had any issues connection the S4 to your cars Bluetooth?

I had an S2 previously and it connects fine to my cars Bluetooth. But since getting the S4 I cannot connect it to the Bluetooth.

I reset the Bluetooth on the car, but still no joy.

I have read on some online forums that Samsung have not made the Bluetooth backward compatible with older devices as the specification defines.

If that is the case that's ridiculous!

Anyway, has anyone had similar issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

techdiver wrote: »
    Hey,

I had an S2 previously and it connects fine to my cars Bluetooth. But since getting the S4 I cannot connect it to the Bluetooth.

I have read on some online forums that Samsung have not made the Bluetooth backward compatible with older devices as the specification defines.

No working fine for my parrot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

techdiver wrote: »
    Hey,

Works fine with both my sd10 headphones and my 2006 smax Ford Bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I have a parrot kit in my car and it works fine. Though I have seen S4s not working with older parrot kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got a call today from CPW to pick up my phone. Not too shaby, they returned it to me in 6 days :)

(Gladly puts the HTC one x back in the corner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

pah wrote: »
    Works fine with both my sd10 headphones and my 2006 smax Ford Bluetooth
    I have a parrot kit in my car and it works fine. Though I have seen S4s not working with older parrot kits

Me three. Works fine with Ford Sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Had an interesting glitch last night, Charged my Phone like i do every night but this morning it was at 3%.

I checked the battery info and it was going down despite it saying Charging. Its working now. Hopefully a once off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, Im seeing an issue with my S4 today in that it doesnt seem to have any Data functionality. I cant get emails, etc on it. Mobile Data is on but its still not working. Have tried a reboot and a full boot with battery taken out and put back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Folks, Im seeing an issue with my S4 today in that it doesnt seem to have any Data functionality. I cant get emails, etc on it. Mobile Data is on but its still not working. Have tried a reboot and a full boot with battery taken out and put back in.
    On meteor? I had the same problem yesterday. Full reception. 3G but wouldn't load anything. Later on in the day my phone restarted itself and was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Quazzie wrote: »
    On meteor? I had the same problem yesterday. Full reception. 3G but wouldn't load anything. Later on in the day my phone restarted itself and was fine.

I noticed this happens if you don't restart your phone every 2 days or so. I am on Meteor also

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mobile data and wifi, or just mobile data?

Tried the restart and still no joy.
    Wifi seems fine. Just mobile data. Might have to get on to Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I noticed this happens if you don't restart your phone every 2 days or so. I am on Meteor also
    A manual restart didn't fix my issue though which I thought was weird. It was only when I looked at my phone as I walked out from work that I noticed that I needed to input my pin, so presumably sometime between lunch and the end of work it restarted itself.

I only noticed it on Mobile Data as I wasn't connected to Wifi

Ill have to give the good folks in VF a call about it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

MarkR wrote: »
    Mobile data and wifi, or just mobile data?

texts, mobile data, and calls. Sometimes when I restart my phone I will get a few missed call notifications even though at the time my phone was on and in full reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Meteor have been testing their 4g network lately seems to have a sporadic effect on data, so it's not just you or your s4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Just got a notification that an update is available for my s4 anyone know whats new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

apope8 wrote: »
    Just got a notification that an update is available for my s4 anyone know whats new?

My phone is rooted, are updates impossible now?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

I need to carrier unlock a friends S4. Tried this work around but no joy

http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/carrier-unlock-your-samsung-galaxy-s4-so-you-can-use-another-sim-card-0148110/

I presume if I root and unlock the bootloader this will in turn unlock the carrier restriction?

mccard wrote: »

http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/carrier-unlock-your-samsung-galaxy-s4-so-you-can-use-another-sim-card-0148110/

I presume if I root and unlock the bootloader this will in turn unlock the carrier restriction?

Try that method again, took me a few goes to get it right but I unlocked a Vodafone handset with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

You need to flash an older modem mate to get access to the service menu, do you know how to do that!?

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Rooted the phone and deleted some of the stock apps. I don't have the lock screen "Life Companion" and clock anymore. The settings are all still in the phone and I can change the text to Life is Life etc but it wont show on the lock screen. Help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

madmoe wrote: »
    You need to flash an older modem mate to get access to the service menu, do you know how to do that!?

Cheers,
    M

Yes, I can get to the service menu. I tried it twice, both times the phone rebooted and seem to do something but alas it was still locked. I am wary of doing it too many times in case I damage the handset. So rooting and unlocking the bootloader will not unlock the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Yes, I can get to the service menu. I tried it twice, both times the phone rebooted and seem to do something but alas it was still locked. I am wary of doing it too many times in case I damage the handset. So rooting and unlocking the bootloader will not unlock the phone?

No need to root\unlock bootloader mate or anything like that, you just need to flash the correct modem (DXUAME2) using Odin and then you will be able to get into the service menu.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads I'm due my up grade now should I go for the S4 I've had both the S2 and 3 so I am used to the layout, My S3 is more or less knackered after the last up date it keeps freezing and going in to safe mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Rooted the phone and deleted some of the stock apps. I don't have the lock screen "Life Companion" and clock anymore. The settings are all still in the phone and I can change the text to Life is Life etc but it wont show on the lock screen. Help!!!!

Don't delete stock apps? Some of them are tied in to TouchWiz and are required for their functionality. (this is why people who are inexperienced with rooting should ask for someone's advice first).

Restore your phone to an earlier point or backup your user data using something like Titanium and reflash the phone.

madmoe wrote: »
    No need to root\unlock bootloader mate or anything like that, you just need to flash the correct modem (DXUAME2) using Odin and then you will be able to get into the service menu.

Cheers,
    M

He's already accessed the service menu?

I didn't have to flash any other modem before doing this.

pah wrote: »
    Took the plunge on this, liking it so far but still have my Note2.
    i'll give it a week to decide.

Also I unlocked it with this method. works for vodafone IE handset anyway gt-i9505

Posted this a few months back, just wondering of outs the same asthe method you've tried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

What's the best place to buy online and get delivery to UK as looking at getting one this week & delivered to London

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

A window keeps popping up saying software update failed due to no space on sd card or internal storage. Its annoying. Anybody else getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

I'm having a problem with my battery for the last week or so, the phone just keeps randomly shutting down while in use.
    Most recently being this morning, unplugged the phone, after half an hour I checked facebook and 5 minutes later the phone died and wouldn't turn back on.
    I plugged in the charger and turned on the phone and was at 90% so plugged back out.
    20 minutes later phone goes again when playing tapped out and I repeated the plug in, turn on process and its showing 65%.
    What can or should I do or could it be more than just battery problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

kkhornet wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with my battery for the last week or so, the phone just keeps randomly shutting down while in use.
    Most recently being this morning, unplugged the phone, after half an hour I checked facebook and 5 minutes later the phone died and wouldn't turn back on.
    I plugged in the charger and turned on the phone and was at 90% so plugged back out.
    20 minutes later phone goes again when playing tapped out and I repeated the plug in, turn on process and its showing 65%.
    What can or should I do or could it be more than just battery problem.

Don't know if you figured it out but my bro had the same problem. The battery wasnt holding a charge passed 50% and kept switching off. He had to send his away for repair and that solved the problem.

RVN10 wrote: »
    Don't know if you figured it out but my bro had the same problem. The battery wasnt holding a charge passed 50% and kept switching off. He had to send his away for repair and that solved the problem.

Cheers dude, brought it down to carphone warehouse last saturday about the problem. the woman barely blinked, just said "another one for the pile to be sent back"
    Must be a common enough problem.
    Hopefully have it back with me soon enough and working perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Hi, I have an iPhone 4 at the mo but am moving to eMobile where Incan get the s4 at a decent price (I think 😄)... Is it possible to move my pics, texts etc from iPhone up s4?
    Thanks

kkhornet wrote: »
    Cheers dude, brought it down to carphone warehouse last saturday about the problem. the woman barely blinked, just said "another one for the pile to be sent back"
    Must be a common enough problem.
    Hopefully have it back with me soon enough and working perfectly

Fixed and collected last Friday, yay!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, and it if it id much appreciate a link to a comparison thread, but...

can anybody give me a low down on HTC ONE Vs S4?

As far as i can tell so far it seems to me they are both excellent phones and picking between one or the other comes down to personal choice?

Ive been a HTC user for the last 4/5 years, tempted to go with the S4 but it just feels so flimsy i get the feeling that one drop out of a pocket and its going to fall to pieces.

Haven't had the best of experiences with my sensation XL so im leaning toward moving but just feel the htc would take more of a pounding.

Any other info? im not overly interested in the real nitty gritty techy geeky stuff, just camera, which has a faster processer etc etc.

Thanks.

rogieop wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place, and it if it id much appreciate a link to a comparison thread, but...

As far as i can tell so far it seems to me they are both excellent phones and picking between one or the other comes down to personal choice?

Ive been a HTC user for the last 4/5 years, tempted to go with the S4 but it just feels so flimsy i get the feeling that one drop out of a pocket and its going to fall to pieces.

Haven't had the best of experiences with my sensation XL so im leaning toward moving but just feel the htc would take more of a pounding.

Any other info? im not overly interested in the real nitty gritty techy geeky stuff, just camera, which has a faster processer etc etc.

Thanks.

http://bit.ly/14GM7f4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

rogieop wrote: »

Thanks.

Both phone are on par IMO. If you drop any of the new smart phones they will break. Large screens + edge impact = break easily. Having said that I have a cheap €2 silicon cover around my s4, dropped it twice, still no mark on it works perfectly. A little protection and they are fine. Apart from screen, the plastic is more durable than aluminium. You can get a bump on it but not on plastic.

My friend has HTC one and that phone is nice as well, very well made. I have used HTC phones before and like this one as well. Removable battery and micro sd card support tilted the balance towards S4 for me. Otherwise I will be more than happy with any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Just looking for some advice here. I've finally decided (well, almost) on buying the S4 instead of the iPhone. I'm not buying it in store. My only issue really is the size. I was wondering if the size is a big issue? It's a lot bigger than my current phone (which is quite basic). Or do you just get used to it?
    Also just as an aside, is it easy to unlock it without getting a code from the network? I know of someone who unlocks phones, is this safe?
    Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Just had an update on 3 network. ..any ideas whats new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just looking for some advice here. I've finally decided (well, almost) on buying the S4 instead of the iPhone. I'm not buying it in store. My only issue really is the size. I was wondering if the size is a big issue? It's a lot bigger than my current phone (which is quite basic). Or do you just get used to it?
    Also just as an aside, is it easy to unlock it without getting a code from the network? I know of someone who unlocks phones, is this safe?
    Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

You get used to the size then start to wonder how until now you were managing with such small phones :p

This phone is easy enough to unlock. You can buy unlock code for €10-15 on the net. Safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

coldfire1x wrote: »
    You get used to the size then start to wonder how until now you were managing with such small phones :p

This phone is easy enough to unlock. You can buy unlock code for €10-15 on the net. Safe enough.

Most Android devices are relatively easy to unlock once a method has been discovered.

For some models of the S4 (depending on network and software installed) it's as simple as going in to a hidden menu to turn it off.

No need to be paying for an unlock code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

What sort of battery life are people getting from the S4? mine is only 3 weeks old and I can barely get 12 hours out of it,And that is just using the phone to check e mails and texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Hello! I have been an iSheep for so long but I was due an upgrade and I wasn't impressed with the iPhone 5s since I have the iPhone 5 so I collected a Galaxy S4 yesterday evening. So far I am liking it and it could just be all the excitement of a new phone. I keep finding myself googling how to do things on it though, maybe somebody here can help?

I want to manage my notifications? e.g. I don't want notifications from gmail. I can't seem to find where notifcations are handled or are they all done within each app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I want to manage my notifications? e.g. I don't want notifications from gmail. I can't seem to find where notifcations are handled or are they all done within each app?

You can handle Gmail notifications from within the app. I think it's Gmail/General Settings. Think there's only one other option...it's one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Has anyone else gotten the Pebble yet? I have it and it works brilliantly with the S4, haven't really done much with it besides install Glance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Agonizing whether to swap my iPhone 4s for the S4 but don't know.

Does the S4 have many issues at the moment? Is stock OS on the phone laggy at all? Any other issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

What sort of battery life are people getting from the S4? mine is only 3 weeks old and I can barely get 12 hours out of it,And that is just using the phone to check e mails and texts.

I get 24 hours easily enough with 3 hours of screen on time and data on in a poor reception area for a large chunk of that - either your battery is on or you have a huge amount of the gimmicks and possibly a rogue app running and draining your battery.

If you check the battery (Settings, More, Battery), what is it listing as the biggest battery user?
    In addition, maybe go to the Notification window, switch to the quick settings and see if you have loads of those tiles activated.

Advertisement