Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

jca wrote: »
    The wifi has stopped working in my s4. I tried a full restore but it still won't turn on. I'm not impressed as the phone has 7 months contract left and is pretty much useless at home as the 3g is terrible in the house. I had to go down town to finish all the updates after the factory restore. Not happy.

If it's a fault with the device, it would be covered by warranty. No big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Basil3 wrote: »
    If it's a fault with the device, it would be covered by warranty. No big deal.

The phone is 17 months old its surely out of warranty. 24 month contract unfortunately.

The phone is 17 months old its surely out of warranty. 24 month contract unfortunately.

2 year warranty on electronic goods sold in the eu. It's the law.

It's not by accident that Apple increased the iPhone warranty to 2 years. They did it to make themselves look good, but in reality it's how long they would have to honour by law anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Basil3 wrote: »
    2 year warranty on electronic goods sold in the eu. It's the law.

It's not by accident that Apple increased the iPhone warranty to 2 years. They did it to make themselves look good, but in reality it's how long they would have to honour by law anyway.

Irish law is much better than the 2 year EU law. There are loads of threads on it here.

Goods in Ireland must last for a reasonable amount of time.
    e.g. you might not reasonably expect a €20 phone to last 3 years. You might reasonably expect a €600 phone to.

If the shop doesn't agree with you then the small claims court will help you out.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah happened mea few times, Id be looking at a snapchat or someones snapchat story and then itd appear as my background. Quick reboot sorted it

I can take the odd reboot. But it happens again soon after being rebooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Also, how do I turn the little zoom boxes off. I find it really hard to tick boxes on Web pages. Even when they are zoomed way up that ****ing zoom box appears. Can't see an option in settings for it.

timetogo wrote: »
    Irish law is much better than the 2 year EU law. There are loads of threads on it here.

Goods in Ireland must last for a reasonable amount of time.
    e.g. you might not reasonably expect a €20 phone to last 3 years. You might reasonably expect a €600 phone to.

If the shop doesn't agree with you then the small claims court will help you out.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

That's great news, many thanks I'll be calling to the 3 shop in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Started using some Nexus Rom but I have gotten quite tired of it (used to have CM) and the battery life with it is poor compared to Iphones!!

Anyone using a more stable or unstable, rom with good battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Hi folks, couple of questions for you?

Ive had my S4 for about a year now. In the last couple of months the battery life has began to get gradually worse. Last sunday i was using the phone and there was 56% battery on it. It turned itself back on and when it did the battery was down to 16%!

Today i left it in my car, turned off with close to 100 percent battery. Roughly 12 hours later i come back, turn the phone on, it shows 40% then turns off, i turn it back on and its down to 1%!

A fried had been telling me that happened his phone a few times due to cold temperatures so i held the battery up to the car heater for a while, tried again and all of a sudden im back up to 40% battery!!!

Anyway ive been looking at three options.

1) Just replacing the battery with a new one off Ebay.
    2) Rooting the phone and installing a custom rom to improve performance and battery life
    3)investing in one of those cases that can charge the phone when the battery runs down.

Any advice on the best option or maybe a combination of all three??

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Advertisement

rogieop wrote: »
    Hi folks, couple of questions for you?

Ive had my S4 for about a year now. In the last couple of months the battery life has began to get gradually worse. Last sunday i was using the phone and there was 56% battery on it. It turned itself back on and when it did the battery was down to 16%!

Today i left it in my car, turned off with close to 100 percent battery. Roughly 12 hours later i come back, turn the phone on, it shows 40% then turns off, i turn it back on and its down to 1%!

A fried had been telling me that happened his phone a few times due to cold temperatures so i held the battery up to the car heater for a while, tried again and all of a sudden im back up to 40% battery!!!

Anyway ive been looking at three options.

1) Just replacing the battery with a new one off Ebay.
    2) Rooting the phone and installing a custom rom to improve performance and battery life
    3)investing in one of those cases that can charge the phone when the battery runs down.

Any advice on the best option or maybe a combination of all three??

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Bring it back to the shop and get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Bring it back to the shop and get a new one.

The phone is a year old so you will not get a new replacement phone or did you mean battery? repair would be the norm!

Its the battery, its a known issue with the S4, Samsung did a recall of the battery last year. Same thing happened to my S4 but only after a few months of purchase.

I just bought a new battery and the issue never reoccurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

A part from E bay does anyone know where the best place to buy a battery is online or around the Dublin area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

A part from E bay does anyone know where the best place to buy a battery is online or around the Dublin area.
    Syncron.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

massy086 wrote: »
    Syncron.ie

Thanks for that and the company is in the D15 area which makes it handy for me to get too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Having serious hassle with my S4. Installed the latest update, and ever since, the phone will reboot randomly, seemingly every half hour or so.

I'm getting a warning about storage as well, that I never had before. Seemingly now, only 9GBs of the 16GBs is available - I have a 32GB card in as additional storage, but the phone won't use this (can't move apps to it, despite the phone recognising that the card is docked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Seemingly now, only 9GBs of the 16GBs is available

Thats been an issue since the phone first came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Battery has gradually gotten worse on mine and until recently discovered the battery is swelling substantially

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Thats been an issue since the phone first came out.

Perhaps. Never had the storage warning come up though. (Even though i've deleted some of my bigger apps)

Thinking of rooting now, and putting on some ROM or other. Something like Lollipop stock - i've no interest in the Samsung features that come with Touchwiz.

Anyone have any recommendations of a good, stable ROM?

Only problem with the battery I have is it gets quite hot, which is down to the screen. Changed to custom ROM and it has improved battery performance greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

pad199207 wrote: »
    Battery has gradually gotten worse on mine and until recently discovered the battery is swelling substantially

I had the same issue with mine and had to send it to get the battery replaced free of charge as it was a problem with a certain batch of phones. I'm with 3. I have no issues with the phone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

I've been using these for the last while and they work grand
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1414104

Take about a month to deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

My phones being knocking off a lot recently when i take it out of my pocket it is knocked off it turns back on no problem just wondering does anyone know anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Anyone with an S4 i9505 still on 4.3? My S4 is unlocked and whenever I look to update to search for updates it tells me I'm on the latest software. I'm on Meteor.

Also, can't update via Kies 3 as it just says it can't connect ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I think my battery might be on its way out. It's started draining very quick. 35% in 90 minutes of very light use yesterday with nothing running in the background. If not being used the battery % will slowly rise again. There's no swelling of any note that I can see. I have the phone since May '13 so I've done well out of this battery.

Where is the best place to get a genuine replacement? I have the Battery Guru app installed, if I reset that and start it learning again will that do anything for the battery until I get it replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

markc1184 wrote: »
    I think my battery might be on its way out. It's started draining very quick. 35% in 90 minutes of very light use yesterday with nothing running in the background. If not being used the battery % will slowly rise again. There's no swelling of any note that I can see. I have the phone since May '13 so I've done well out of this battery.

Where is the best place to get a genuine replacement? I have the Battery Guru app installed, if I reset that and start it learning again will that do anything for the battery until I get it replaced?

Anker batteries are very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2600mAh-Battery-Compatibility-18-Month-Warranty/dp/B00CBTTA4A

i bought one from this guy on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201227038182?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Worked out about 6/7 quid and was delivered in a couple of days. The difference it has made is incredible. Im ordering another today just to charge up and throw in my pocket if im going out on a long session etc etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I find my battery suffers badly in the cold weather. I walked into town last night and the battery went from 15% to dead in about 10 minutes. It wouldn't reboot fully without dying. Half an hour later, in the warmth indoors, I was able to start it up and it had 10% battery.

J o e wrote: »
    I find my battery suffers badly in the cold weather. I walked into town last night and the battery went from 15% to dead in about 10 minutes. It wouldn't reboot fully without dying. Half an hour later, in the warmth indoors, I was able to start it up and it had 10% battery.

i posted about this also. I used to leave mine in the car during work. Came out one day and it was very cold. Turned on the phone and it went from 40 percent to dead in no time. Had read about problems with the batteries in cold so turned on the heater in the car and held the battery up to it. Let it heat for a while tried it again and i was back up to 40 percent!!!

I cant explain it but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201227038182?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Worked out about 6/7 quid and was delivered in a couple of days. The difference it has made is incredible. Im ordering another today just to charge up and throw in my pocket if im going out on a long session etc etc..

Just after buying one of these. Battery is lasting only 3 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 USD Inflation Swap

I'v run out of memory on my S4. Where can I buy an sd card and how much do they cost?

• Advertisement

I'v run out of memory on my S4. Where can I buy an sd card and how much do they cost?

Not difficult to do at all on this phone. Try amazon, awhile ago they where going for very cheap in a sale.........half price or so still it seems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDB-032G-B35-Class-Memory-Change/dp/B002G12OBO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421962744&sr=8-4&keywords=32gb+sd+card

EDIT: this is the exact one i bought for my s4 and is a better class for same price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-microSDHC-Adapter-SDSDQU-032G-U46A/dp/B007JTKLEK/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421963326&sr=1-2&keywords=SanDisk+Mobile+Ultra+microSDHC+32+GB+UHS-I+Class+10+Memory+Card+30+MB%2Fs+%2B+SD+Adapter+%2B+Memory+Zone+App

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Try these they are based in celbridge so postage wont be so bad or slow. If you are close by you can pick up also.

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/Flash_Memory_Cards/microSD/index.html#Capacity=32GB&Speed_Rating=CL10&page=0

I cant use the SD card on mine for anything but photo's wish I knew before purchasing. Cant even use it for apps!

Mc Love wrote: »
    I cant use the SD card on mine for anything but photo's wish I knew before purchasing. Cant even use it for apps!

I've a 32 gb memory card in mine, and it won't write to it at all.

You need to go to the photo's app and select the storage there. I believe it should start storing pics and vids then!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

pad199207 wrote: »

Change battery! Your phone will keep having to be reset if you don't. And soon won't hold a charge!

If I was looking to sell my S4 with a 32gb external memory card, how much would I likely to be able to get for it? Its unlocked with a stable Cyanogen 11 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_i9500_getting_lollipop_in_russia-news-11008.php

Hopefully the I9505 should follow soon with an update, breathe life back into the old fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Picked up two of these and seeing big improvement. Battery back to lasting the full day comfortably with moderate use. I keep one f charged in the car in case I'm stuck or forget to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Mc Love wrote: »
    If I was looking to sell my S4 with a 32gb external memory card, how much would I likely to be able to get for it? Its unlocked with a stable Cyanogen 11 on it.

What condition is it in? Box, receipt?

I'm having some trouble with my S4 today. The phone was working perfectly this morning with the battery at 100%. I went to use it then around 10am and the screen was blank. Tried using the power key but nothing happens. When I take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates and the screen shows Galaxy S4 but then goes blank again. This happens every time you replace the battery. I've tried plugging in the charger now when I got home but there is still nothing happening. I've found some troubleshooting guides online and tried soft resets etc but still nothing. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I have the phone 2 years, so it's probably time for an upgrade but I was trying to hold off until after the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

I'm having some trouble with my S4 today. The phone was working perfectly this morning with the battery at 100%. I went to use it then around 10am and the screen was blank. Tried using the power key but nothing happens. When I take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates and the screen shows Galaxy S4 but then goes blank again. This happens every time you replace the battery. I've tried plugging in the charger now when I got home but there is still nothing happening. I've found some troubleshooting guides online and tried soft resets etc but still nothing. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I have the phone 2 years, so it's probably time for an upgrade but I was trying to hold off until after the summer.

Had similar problem and boothed in in safe mode. After that it was fine.

paska wrote: »
    Had similar problem and boothed in in safe mode. After that it was fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried getting the phone to boot in safe mode but once the phone turns off I can't get it to come back on using the power button and when I replace the battery to power it that way as soon as I press the volume key for safe mode it knocks off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Lollipop 5.0.1 roll for the S4 has started at least by eMobile/Meteor.

First impressions are a speed up of the device and lower battery consumption. The phone does not get as hot as it did with 4.4.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What custom ROM is everyone using at the moment?

• Advertisement

What custom ROM is everyone using at the moment?

I'm just using vanilla Clockworkmod , makes the phone look like a stock Google Lollipop phone

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm just using vanilla Clockworkmod , makes the phone look like a stock Google Lollipop phone

Clockwork isn't a rom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My son broke the screen on his S4 a little while ago. Anyone know a good place to get replaced in Cork area. Any idea of price. tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Having updated my meteor s4 with the latest software at 6pm today, I am now stuck with a phone that keeps switching itself off within 30 seconds of turning it on. Anyway to do undo the update on the phone or any solutions?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Clockwork isn't a rom?

Sorry - Cyanogenmod!

• Advertisement
Advertisement