Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare ESXi 5.1 installation problem

Options
  • 07-02-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to install VMWare ESXi 5.1 on my laptop via USB. I am using a HP Pavilion g series laptop to host ESXi. Currently I have burnt the .iso onto a disk and have the laptop booting from it. All going well until an error message appeared saying

"No network adapters were detected. Either no network adapters are physically connected to the system or a suitable driver could not be located. A third party driver may be required"

I googled the problem and the problem seems to occur with Dell hardware and Dell themselves provide an update for the machine to trick ESXi in thinking it has the suitable network adapters. Anyone know how I can resolve this issues with my HP laptop?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

I assume you've checked the ESXi 5.1 HCL for the hardware you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

Already did but I am installing it on my laptop and not on a server so the listing is not there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

The fact it isn't there would be the first clue ;) ESXi has quite strict hardware requirements. Easiest way to get it running on a laptop (assuming that the laptop supports virtualization) would be to install VM Workstation within a windows install and create an ESXi VM on that.

mbroaders wrote: »
    The fact it isn't there would be the first clue ;) ESXi has quite strict hardware requirements. Easiest way to get it running on a laptop (assuming that the laptop supports virtualization) would be to install VM Workstation within a windows install and create an ESXi VM on that.

Yea thats what Im pretty have resorted to do. Have tried building ESXi within a VM on my HP laptop but once again there is an error message about HP hardware. Driving me insane. I have however, tried it on a Dell desktop and everything seems to be working fine. Must be HP hardware that VMWare doesnt like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I had ESXi 5 running off my HP N40L Server.
    I do remember having problems getting the USB boot to work.
    x00065954 wrote: »
    Yea thats what Im pretty have resorted to do. Have tried building ESXi within a VM on my HP laptop but once again there is an error message about HP hardware. Driving me insane. I have however, tried it on a Dell desktop and everything seems to be working fine. Must be HP hardware that VMWare doesnt like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get in Workstation?

I had ESXi 5 running off my HP N40L Server.
    I do remember having problems getting the USB boot to work.

Did you have any problem with the "missing network adapter"? And if so how what was the solution to the problem?
    swampgas wrote: »
    Can you post a screenshot of the error you get in Workstation?

Maybe I have been at this all day but I seemed to take a break, went back to work after a few hours later and it all seemed to work fine now within the VM. Dont know how it is working but I am just happy it is now. But still have the problem though of installing ESXi onto my laptop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Maybe I have been at this all day but I seemed to take a break, went back to work after a few hours later and it all seemed to work fine now within the VM. Dont know how it is working but I am just happy it is now. But still have the problem though of installing ESXi onto my laptop :(

ESXi isn't designed to be installed on laptops. It's designed for servers with lots of RAM, CPUs, network cards, etc. It is intended to be managed by vCenter, although it can be managed directly as a stand-alone instance. The vast majority of ESXi systems out there are managed by vCenter.

Workstation (or equivalent) is what you need on a laptop, not ESXi directly installed.

Advertisement