Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bacon Products for USA - Dublin Airport

Options
  • 07-02-2013 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone know the upto date position with regard to buying sausage/rashers in Dublin Airport and legally bringing them into the States ,

All I can find is this

http://irishecho.com/?p=55374

If it's a no go what are chances of being caught with putting some in checked in luggage

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Not sure on the regulations but as far as the chances of being found in checked luggage.......the scanners the luggage runs through highlights any organic material, so packs of rashers will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, there are also sniffer dogs at the baggage claim areas in American airports, especially the ones where international travelers are claiming their bags. They will sniff out any sossies or rashers in 2 seconds flat, no matter where you have them stashed away. My sister got seriously yelled at once when the doggies sniffed out a left over ham sambo that she forgot she had in her hand luggage. She was almost hit with a big fine too. They let her go with just a stern warning when one of her kids began crying, and seemed to accept that it was an honest mistake made by a frazzled mother. They won't be so lenient if they think that you have done it deliberately. Sounds like over kill, but the US authorities treat the import of illegal meat products very, very seriously, especially after the food and mouth scare from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Click on the link 'Bringing food to the US' at this website. Scroll down past 'Fruit and Vegetables' to 'Animal Products and Animal By-Products'.

I think the second sentence applies to you....

Fresh (chilled or frozen), dried, cured, and fully cooked meat is generally prohibited from most countries.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, there are also sniffer dogs at the baggage claim areas in American airports, especially the ones where international travelers are claiming their bags. They will sniff out any sossies or rashers in 2 seconds flat, no matter where you have them stashed away. My sister got seriously yelled at once when the doggies sniffed out a left over ham sambo that she forgot she had in her hand luggage. She was almost hit with a big fine too. They let her go with just a stern warning when one of her kids began crying, and seemed to accept that it was an honest mistake made by a frazzled mother. They won't be so lenient if they think that you have done it deliberately. Sounds like over kill, but the US authorities treat the import of illegal meat products very, very seriously, especially after the food and mouth scare from a few years back.

I hear US Customs have stopped using sniffer dogs to search bags for food products such as rashers and sausages as they are not that effective.

I believe they have started using the much more effective method of taking hungover Irish men who spent the night in local drunk tank, tying leashes around their necks and letting them loose in bag claims areas of US airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you are flying from Dublin you arrive in a domestic terminal in the States so I don't think you'll meet any sniffer dogs. If you get past the customs check after immigration, you should be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are flying from Dublin you arrive in a domestic terminal in the States so I don't think you'll meet any sniffer dogs. If you get past the customs check after immigration, you should be alright.

In the past 6 months, I have flown into Chicago, Boston & Atlanta direct from Dublin. We arrived into the International Terminal at all times. We were waved thru the Immigration areas, as we had pre cleared it in Dublin, but we still waited for our bags in the same area as international passengers. That was where the sniffer dogs were. When I flew into Boston Logan last October, they were sniffing everyone's bags. Flights from Ireland can indeed enter the US at a domestic terminal, seeing as the passengers have pre cleared Immigration in Ireland, but it has been my experience that most of them do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In the past 6 months, I have flown into Chicago, Boston & Atlanta direct from Dublin. We arrived into the International Terminal at all times. We were waved thru the Immigration areas, as we had pre cleared it in Dublin, but we still waited for our bags in the same area as international passengers. That was where the sniffer dogs were. When I flew into Boston Logan last October, they were sniffing everyone's bags. Flights from Ireland can indeed enter the US at a domestic terminal, seeing as the passengers have pre cleared Immigration in Ireland, but it has been my experience that most of them do not.

Oh ok. I was basing it on my experiences at JFK. Maybe it's only there that you land in the domestic terminal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat,-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s.

This refers to cured bacon from Shannon/Dublin Duty free being allowed !

Advertisement