Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring CAT5e wall plates

Options
  • 07-02-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

When I built my house I got the electrician to run a cat5 cable and put in cat5e wall sockets however I can't get a two I tried to work correctly.

In one location I have been trying to connect a router that has an xbox DVD and LG smart TV connected ....all work ok when I run a long cable down the hall across the floor loose to the switch where I have another router with the broadband but I would like to get the cable already there working as it would be neater etc...

I looked up the internet and there different combinations of wiring.
    A while back I brought out a meter from work and believed I had identified which was which from pin 1 on the back of the plate....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzDwLMgJf3uTTU5VLWxNS3NFb0E/edit?usp=sharing

Unless the socket at the broadband side is wrong but I have not had issues using straight RJ45 to RJ45 cables...

Has anyone got one of these and can point me to the correct colour layout..or how to interpret the colours that are marked on it.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You need it wired to B standard, 568 B. Pins 1-8 in B standard are w/orange, orange, w/green, blue, w/blue, green, w/brown, brown. Thats how they should look in an RJ45 plug. Ignore the A side.

In the pic you posted the outlet should be wired, (left side, top to bottom) as follows: Orange, w/orange, w/green, green. (right side, top to bottom) as follows: w/brown, brown, blue, w/blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

When wiring up both sockets, wire them exactly the same. There is a wiring standard, but as its your house and all you need is a straight through cable, i would ignore standards for simplicity and just replicate whatever you do on socket 1 to socket 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It could be that one of the wires in the cable snapped during pulling. In which case you will need to identify which wire and possibly just wire it as 2 pairs (i.e. use the wrong two pairs) and use it at 100mbit only.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The best way to fix anything is to find out definitely and unambiguously what is wrong first
    To do that you need to test
    Try and get one of these or similar and test each cable
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/rj45-network-cable-tester.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Xantia wrote: »
    The best way to fix anything is to find out definitely and unambiguously what is wrong first
    To do that you need to test
    Try and get one of these or similar and test each cable
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/rj45-network-cable-tester.html

Xantia is correct.

Use one of these cheap cable testers.
    Basically you stick one of the two AA battery operated testers in the wall point using a patch cable, and the other at the other end (switch/ router etc) and 8 lights flash as each of the twisted pairs of cables within the Cat5 cable pings back.

The lights are numbered 1-8 so if none of the lights don't flash back then the entire cable is severed from point ATB - or you have each end of the tester on different cables.
    If one of two of the lights dont flash back then a couple of colours are either out at the back off the wall point, or the cable is damaged somewhere along the run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement