Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Finance - Non-Finance background

• 07-02-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I graduated from NUIM with a BA in English (minor in Economics) 2:1, but greatly preferred the economics side of my degree.

I am considering applying for either the MA Finance in NUIM or the MSc Financial Economics in UCC.

Having not done finance modules before would my application even be considered for such courses?

Personally I feel I could manage the steep learning curve but that's beside the point...

All opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

What kind of economics did you take?

The masters would be really maths intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BHenry

Modules like intermediate micro & macro. Money & Banking. International Trade, then advanced Micro & Macro in final year...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

Doing the MSc in Financial Risk Analysis myself which covers most of the modules in the MA finance. There's a few people who are doing finance who haven't done it before and although they find it tough once they put in the work they do fine. The course is advanced though and for some modules you'll be playing catch up at the beginning, advanced derivatives for instance will throw you into the deep end a bit. There's a maths module in the first term which will get you up to speed on the maths so I wouldn't worry about that. I don't know how many people they take on but I'd say you'd get in alright.

Advertisement