Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker Meetups in Athlone

Options
  • 07-02-2013 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone in Athlone would be interested in meeting up occasionally for the above. I am using the broadest definition of hacking so computing, programming, electronics as well as security issues. Something along the lines of 2600. If we get a regular crew we can talk about the possibility of setting up a hackerspace like Tog in Dublin or 091 Labs in Galway, but for now, the regular meets would be a start.

I just moved to the area and know very few people so it would be a chance to meet people with similar interests over a pint and a circuit board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Hi Syklops, first off, welcome to Athlone.

We used to run a LUG in Athlone a few years ago, unfortuantely things petered out and people coudln't make it with various commitments. We tried to relaunch with a new group AthUG (see www.athug.com) which would encompas what you suggest, generally technology related, but with very little success. A good few members of the group are still around, if we make an effort we can arrange a few meet-ups, hopefully some new blood will kickstart things again.

Cheers,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

I would be very interested in meeting up and going through some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mookishboy wrote: »
    I would be very interested in meeting up and going through some stuff.

Glad to hear there is a bit of interest.
    We used to run a LUG in Athlone a few years ago, unfortuantely things petered out and people coudln't make it with various commitments. We tried to relaunch with a new group AthUG (see www.athug.com) which would encompas what you suggest, generally technology related, but with very little success. A good few members of the group are still around, if we make an effort we can arrange a few meet-ups, hopefully some new blood will kickstart things again.

You would think with the college there would be an abundance of people interested in such a thing.

Can we pick a night and meet somewhere and go from there? I think if there is a set night a few more might come along, even for the excuse of a pint.

What nights suit everyone?

Generally try to make it mid-week, that way if there are students they can make it. Any day's good for me really, just have to find somewhere quiet that you can hear each other without straining yourself :P

One venue I'd suggest is Richard Graces, tends to be quiet enough.

Any suggestions?

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Generally try to make it mid-week, that way if there are students they can make it. Any day's good for me really, just have to find somewhere quiet that you can hear each other without straining yourself :P

One venue I'd suggest is Richard Graces, tends to be quiet enough.

Any suggestions?

Bob_bot, Are you in AIT? If so, could you maybe put the word out, maybe to the computer society?

As for venue, I have been in the Tack room a few times as its near work and near where I am staying and its been dead everytime Ive been in there. So that might be quiet enough for a chat, but really I am open to suggestions. Only must haves would be wifi.

Shall we aim for Wednesday nights?

• Advertisement

Wednesday sounds good.

It's been a few years since I've been in A.I.T., but I do have friends doing Masters there that I can ask to spread the word. There's also a lecturer in the college who's big into Linux, I can mail him and ask him to mention it to some of his students who may be interested.

I'll also say it to a few others.

So rough idea, The Tack Room, 8pm (?), Wednesday 20th of February?

So rough idea, The Tack Room, 8pm (?), Wednesday 20th of February?

Thats also the night of my birthday so I would say yes definitely. 8pm also works.

I have a meeting thing on meetup.com. I didnt specify a date for the meetup but I can now. That might bring one or two along.

Edit: The link to the item on meetup.com is: http://www.meetup.com/SYN-ACK/events/104402332/

On meetup.com you have to give it a name, and I had toyed with the idea of calling it the Athlone Computer Klub, but to be honest it sounds like something you attend when you are 13. in the end, I called it Syn/Ack. That doesn't need to be its final name, just what its called on meetup.com. Decisions get made by the people who show up, so we can see what people think on the night. I'll go into the tackroom and make sure its ok with them, and I will see if they could lay on some power strips for laptop power leads, or if I should bring some instead.

Bit of a hiccup I think, as it just dawned on me. Next week is Rag Week in the college. That more or less rules out a lot of students as well as the possibility the pub may be up the walls :P.

Bit of a hiccup I think, as it just dawned on me. Next week is Rag Week in the college. That more or less rules out a lot of students as well as the possibility the pub may be up the walls :P.

Typical. And a colleague of mine is over this week and wanted to go to it aswell.

Is there anywhere that the students don't go to?

They tend to stay around the college as most events are held around there, some will stray into town (generally over to Seans Bar and surrounding area), later in the night the nightclubs may be hit, but I'd say most places in the town are useable.

The original place I suggested may be good for it, just need to check if they have wifi, I generally tend to use 3G on my phone :P

• Advertisement

The original place I suggested may be good for it, just need to check if they have wifi, I generally tend to use 3G on my phone :P

That was Richard Graces? Ok, I will go into them after work and check they are ok with it, and if they have wifi, and if they could organise us a power strip or two for laptop chargers. They also have food which will be handy.

How many can we confirm? So far its me plus one.

Right I have made a booking in Richard Graces tomorrow night from about 6pm for 5 people. There is wifi and food.

I was in there last night and it seemed unaffected by rag week.

good stuff, I'll be there anyways, have sent messages to a few that should be interested, waiting on replies. So far, just me. The other guy that's usually involved in the Athug meetings is unavaliable tomorrow unfortuantely.

On another note, I'll have had the face drilled off me by the time I get there (appointment with the dentist I couldn't move) so I may be a bit numb :P

So far, me + 2

So far, me + 2

Good stuff! That will be 5 in total.
    On another note, I'll have had the face drilled off me by the time I get there (appointment with the dentist I couldn't move) so I may be a bit numb

Well bring your laptop and if you want to make a point, fire up a text editor, and type it out. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd love to attend, but I'm caught up trying to find a new job and I'm here in Navan trying to set up a group as well.

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd love to attend, but I'm caught up trying to find a new job and I'm here in Navan trying to set up a group as well.

Shame you can't come.

I'm a gob****e. I told people 8pm. sure I'm sitting here in the dentist at the moment re-reading feck it sorry...

I'm a gob****e. I told people 8pm. sure I'm sitting here in the dentist at the moment re-reading feck it sorry...

It worked out for the best in the end.

I'd just like to thank everyone for coming last night, both registered Boards members and habitual lurkers :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i am down for this when it happens next

Think there's plans for one this coming Wednesday, will confirm tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Could potentially make it on Wednesday as I'll be back in Athlone during the week. Busy around Dublin and Navan for the day, so it's preliminary maybe for now.

Yeah, Im up for Wednesday aswell. Shall we say Richard Graces at 7pm?

Seans Bar. Could whip out the laptops in the bear garden :P

Seans Bar. Could whip out the laptops in the bear garden :P

Is it not a bit cold for the beer garden?

syklops wrote: »
    Is it not a bit cold for the beer garden?

Was just thinking that too. They can be hit and miss with the heat lamps too.

Depends on the time of year though. Won't feel it after a few beers :P

If the day is this cold, I'd rather not be out in it at night :P

• Advertisement

Depends on the time of year though. Won't feel it after a few beers :P

In this cold you won't feel after a couple of minutes.

Advertisement