Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bluing

Options
  • 07-02-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, anyone know where I can get a decent bluing kit, ie.not birchwood Casey. I want to do the barrels on an old sxs but I want to do a right job in them. Failing this, how much would it cost to get them done and where would I go to do it? Thanks guys.
    LR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I used the birchwood presto mag stuff to great effect on a rifle barrel recently.
    Sand down as much to bare metal as you can using 2500 grit paper, then warm the barrel slightly and apply in single strokes along the length.
    It will take several coats to get an even finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone know where I can get a decent bluing kit, ie.not birchwood Casey. I want to do the barrels on an old sxs but I want to do a right job in them. Failing this, how much would it cost to get them done and where would I go to do it? Thanks guys.
    LR
    Hi Longranger,what did you find wrong with birchwood casey kit ?
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I found that no matter what I did I couldn't get a dark finish. It kept coming out grey. I was following the instructions to the letter so I don't know.

I found that no matter what I did I couldn't get a dark finish. It kept coming out grey. I was following the instructions to the letter so I don't know.
    Hi Longranger,did you use the paste or liquid kit ?
    I found it a little tricky to get a good finish first time i used it but now i find it very easy to get a factory like finish .
    What way do you apply it ?
    Regards ,Tomcat.

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I found it a little tricky to get a good finish first time i used it but now i find it very easy to get a factory like finish .
    Regards ,Tomcat.
    Hi Tomcat, I used the liquid kit. I just swabbed it on with the swabs in the kit, rinsing between coats as per instructions. Metal was properly cleaned and degreased first.

• Advertisement

Regards ,Tomcat.
    Hi Tomcat, I used the liquid kit. I just swabbed it on with the swabs in the kit, rinsing between coats as per instructions. Metal was properly cleaned and degreased first.

Hi longranger,what i found was any cross contamination between the cloths ,gloves ect caused a poor finish .I found the kit to work fine and give a good finish but very fussy, if that makes sense .
    Regards,Tomcat.

Hi longranger,what i found was any cross contamination between the cloths ,gloves ect caused a poor finish .I found the kit to work fine and give a good finish but very fussy, if that makes sense .
    Regards,Tomcat.

Thanks Tomcat,I might give it another try so. Only one way to find out;):cool:

Advertisement