Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-hand books to donate

Options
  • 07-02-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

This might seem like an odd query but here it is none-the-less:

After some clear-outs, I have in my possession some boxes of books, novels to be precise, that are no longer wanted.

Has anyone given second-hand books into:
    ~ hospitals
    ~ local library
    or anywhere else? Not looking for monies, just somewhere to donate them where they would be of benefit to someone :) How were they received? Were they even taken or needed?

Looking for places where these mixture of novels might be of some benefit to people.

Any & All advice & tips appreciated,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Good for you!

I think any of the places you mentioned yourself would be delighted to have your collection.

From my own knowledge, Mrs. iPhone usually brings her books to the local SVDP shop and they are always delighted to have them.

If you are an avid reader like she is you will also find it's a very enjoyable and rewarding way to spend some free time browsing while there for replacement books to buy for yourself to read and it also means the charity gains on the double.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hospitals probably won't take them due to infection/cross infection/storage etc. Nursing home might or most charity shops would love them. Any books for kids would usually be taken, hand and all, by your local school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

iPhone. wrote: »
    Good for you!

I think any of the places you mentioned yourself would be delighted to have your collection.

From my own knowledge, Mrs. iPhone usually brings her books to the local SVDP shop and they are always delighted to have them.

If you are an avid reader like she is you will also find it's a very enjoyable and rewarding way to spend some free time browsing while there for replacement books to buy for yourself to read and it also means the charity gains on the double.

Ah yes that's another option I hadn't thought of :)

Thank You!

Hospitals probably won't take them due to infection/cross infection/storage etc. Nursing home might or most charity shops would love them. Any books for kids would usually be taken, hand and all, by your local school.

Yes that's why I asked about whether they were taken by anyone before in hospitals.
    Nursing Home is yet another option :) No kiddie books though.

Thank You!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kerry4sam wrote: »
    This might seem like an odd query but here it is none-the-less:

After some clear-outs, I have in my possession some boxes of books, novels to be precise, that are no longer wanted.

Has anyone given second-hand books into:
    ~ hospitals
    ~ local library
    or anywhere else? Not looking for monies, just somewhere to donate them where they would be of benefit to someone :) How were they received? Were they even taken or needed?

Looking for places where these mixture of novels might be of some benefit to people.

Any & All advice & tips appreciated,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

There is a charity secondhand bookshop in the Tralee shopping arcade which raises money for Lesotho, in S.Africa. They take in books.
    You can also drop them into the other charity shops in town, such as Enable or Irish Cancer Society. I think you could even try the library!

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There is a charity secondhand bookshop in the Tralee shopping arcade which raises money for Lesotho, in S.Africa. They take in books.
    You can also drop them into the other charity shops in town, such as Enable or Irish Cancer Society. I think you could even try the library!

Ah lovely. Thank You :)

There is a St Vincent de Paul shop in Killarney near tourist office. Brought in boxes of books a few weeks back...though ended up buying a few too to my wife's consternation...

Advertisement