Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiators working downstairs but not upstairs

• 07-02-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Here's the relevant info:

Gas heating controlled by a stanley oven in the kitchen. Upstairs is separately controlled by a switch in the hot press.

Downstairs radiators work fine...nothing happening upstairs. Yesterday I tried them and they worked, and then stopped working about 10 mins later.

All radiators have been bled.

I have a feeling it could be a problem with the valve (EPH controls model V221)

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I have a feeling it could be a problem with the valve (EPH controls model V221)

any ideas?
    Think you have answered your own question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

shane0007 wrote: »
    Think you have answered your own question!

Sorry...yes...but what problem is the question!

Sorry...yes...but what problem is the question!

Yours radiators are working downstairs but not upstairs. You suspect the motorised valve as the problem. Me thinks your suspicions could well be correct....

Perhaps you could slide the valve lever from Auto to Manual & see if the heat now passes the valve.

Or perhaps you have a completely different question to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yours radiators are working downstairs but not upstairs. You suspect the motorised valve as the problem. Me thinks your suspicions could well be correct....

Perhaps you could slide the valve lever from Auto to Manual & see if the heat now passes the valve.

Or perhaps you have a completely different question to ask?

I know very little (to nothing) about plumbing. Me suspecting the valve to be the problem is one thing, knowing what's wrong with it is another completely.

Would I be right in saying that there are 3 valves in my hot press? The lever doesn't seem to be doing much...you can wiggle it around but that's about it.

As I said, it's like looking up a duck's arse for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

yes there could be 3 valves in your hotpress 1 each for
    hot cylinder
    heating zone 1(living areas perhaps)
    heating zone 2 (bedrooms)

Each valve turns on and off the heat(hot water from your boiler) to the relevant zone.
    Depending on how the valves are wired up when they open they could turn on the boiler.

The lever on the valve is a manual override it keeps the valve in the open position.
    As you suspect (shane and myself agree) your problem seems to be with the valve, this could be with the valve head (actuator) which would be a relatively straightforward fix if you can get a compatible head.
    or it could be the valve body sticking which would require the systrm to be drained down to replace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

Having same problem, downstairs rads roasting upstairs cold. Have this valve, how do I change it from auto to manual as described above?
    There is only one button/switch/lever at the bottom, have moved this but nothing changed.
    Really want to this without having to get plumber!

eok56 wrote: »
    Having same problem, downstairs rads roasting upstairs cold. Have this valve, how do I change it from auto to manual as described above?
    There is only one button/switch/lever at the bottom, have moved this but nothing changed.
    Really want to this without having to get plumber!
    http://www.ephcontrols.com/downloads/V22_D_Datasheet.pdf

Advertisement