Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Boy Troubles

• 07-02-2013 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

looking for a bit of advice, thanks for your time.

We're having a brown Cocker Spaniel from puppy age, he is now 13 and still in great nick. He is agile and fit and he is and always was a great family member - family of 2 that is, plus himself.

He has never been kept outside and was always well behaved in the house. We have a biggish house and a big back garden which he roams freely. He was never chewing anything, never giving any trouble and he is a happy dog and we're happy to have him.

He was always perfectly house trained despite him being alone during the day Mo-Fr 9 to 5 as we're both working.

Lately though we're coming home to 'accidents', meaning a turd left on the tiles in the kitchen. He knows he's done something bad as he is hiding and slouching so I suppose he is not doing as some sort of rebellion against something. These 'accident's happen infrequently but lately its becoming more often.

I don't want to put him out in his old days so could diet help maybe? He used to get 'Pedro' all his life with a half tin mixed in every evening. A couple of times a week he gets scraps.
    Since this started we tried nuts also but it only improved things a little if any.

Is it just a thing of him getting older and he can't hold it like he used to?

Sorry, this is after getting a bit long, but I tried to give as much background as I could think of. Any opinions would be appreciated, again, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When was he last at the vets? Any unusual behaviour like this should have a medical reason ruled out first. It probably is just old age, bless him, so if you can leave him somewhere with tiles or a wooden floor, it will be easy to clean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

He gets to the vet regularly, at least once a year for his check-up and his boosters. In fact he was only before christmas for having a couple of cysts removed. The vet says he's in fine nick for his age and nothing wrong with him.

In fairness when he does it its always on the tiles in the kitchen, never anywhere else. Of course I'd still rather not have him doing it, plus, like you said it could be also a sign that theres something wrong with him or that he needs a different diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 La Buka

Is there a chance he could be suffering separation anxiety? Though he might be a little old for that to be starting. Our two used to leave little presents for us all the time if they'd been left alone, even if it was only for a very short time. Apparently it's a way of getting attention, albeit the wrong kind of attention. Or maybe it's just because he's getting old!

La Buka wrote: »
    Is there a chance he could be suffering separation anxiety? Though he might be a little old for that to be starting. Our two used to leave little presents for us all the time if they'd been left alone, even if it was only for a very short time. Apparently it's a way of getting attention, albeit the wrong kind of attention. Or maybe it's just because he's getting old!

You never know what goes on in that little pea brain, but he should be well used to it by now I think.
    And while we're away for hours during the week he does get a lot of attention when we're home and he's never left out or locked away or anything. Hes always in the middle of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 La Buka

Might be worth another trip to the vet! Dogs don't intentionally do things to annoy their owners, as I'm sure you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I think 8 hours is too long for an old dog to be left without being let out to the toilet.I had an old dog of similar age and he had to be let out more frequently during the day.I started feeding him earlier in the day & bringing him out for a quick walk before bed,but there was still the odd accident during the night.The Vet just said it was due to old age setting in.Could you not get someone to go into him during the day to let him out?It can be stressfull for a dog who has been housetrained for years & then finds himself not being able to hold on until you get home.As the weather gets a bit better maybe you could leave him out in the garden,with a nice cosy bed in a kennel where he could go in and out as he pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Do you have anyone that could drop in and let him out mid day?
    It may just be old age, it happens, but I would ask the vet to give him the once over just encase. It must be upsetting for him, as you said he knows he's done wrong, but can't help it.

The problem with someone letting him out during the day is that he's not great with other people and very protective over the house. There are no family members or other people he knows well enough living nearby. Coming home midday isn't really an option either.

I know its not a perfect situation for a dog to be left alone this long but it never seemed to have troubled him before and after so many years it just is what it is.

I think once it gets warmer having him out the back for the day may be an option.

I'll take your advice and ask the vet for advice and have him checked, too.

Nobody thinks that maybe it could be that he requires a different diet now that he's older? His craps are often - while not diarrhea-like - a bit on the runny side. I'll ask the vet that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Diet change may well help, maybe a sensitive food?
    But he could have an issue with his stomach or bowel, this is why seeing the vet is essential, explain everything, even the change in consistency.
    Also keep a diary of when he eats, poops, walks and when accidents happen, you may notice a pattern, or trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

You could change his food for a better quality one for senior dogs and see how it goes.http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/james_wellbeloved/wellbeloved_seniorlight/128225 Do it gradually over a few days.With this food you don't feed them as much as you would with the Pedro :).

• Advertisement

Kukey wrote: »
    You could change his food for a better quality one for senior dogs and see how it goes.http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/james_wellbeloved/wellbeloved_seniorlight/128225 Do it gradually over a few days.With this food you don't feed them as much as you would with the Pedro :).

This looks good. While certainly a lot more expensive than Pedro its not much more if you compare it to nuts which are €15 fora 5kg bag. I think I'll give that a try.
    Pedro must be - well - cheap dogfood then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Could you fit a dog flap. For a cocker it wouldnt need to be huge so there shouldnt be any issues with burgulars - especially if he guards the house. that way he could go in and out as and when he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It can be common for older dogs to start having accidents in the house. Because he is 13 it could be a sign of cognitive dysfunction - so he is basically forgetting he should go outside to toilet. You should speak to your vet specifically about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It’s funny you should post this query this week, was just talking to my husband about this during the week. We too have a Golden Cocker, who is also in the house all day while we are at work. She is a good deal younger than your fella (6 ½) but we were talking about what we would do when she is older and not able to hold her business any more. I think with your dog, it’s probably due to old age and not being able to hold it as long any more, but it’s no harm to get him checked out at the vet. Not to be rude but I think Pedro is rubbish food, my mother in law feeds it to my dog when she is minding her and it always gives her runny poo (the dog – not the MIL!) It’s possible that as he is getting older, his stomach isn’t as strong as it was. I’d recommend giving him a better quality food, it seems a lot more expensive, but they need a lot less of it. I recommend James Wellbeloved.

I would reconsider getting someone to call in during the day. My Cocker is odd with new people as well, but she is normally fine after she meets them a few times. If you did go down that route, you could get the person to come and meet your dog a few times in your house to get them used to each other. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with a dog flap, I’d worry Libby would attack the postman!

Poor little guy, he must be mortified that he is messing the kitchen, they are such a proud breed.

I'll try that James Wellbeloved and I will see the vet to make sure he's ok too.
    After that I'll have to see. getting someone to call in is going to be difficult.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

A little bit out there as far as suggestions go, but could you perhaps try training him to use a litter box? I know it's more of a small dog/apartment thing, but if you could get one of those large flat storage boxes, and put garden soil or cat litter in it (and possibly a perimeter of paper for spillage) maybe that would save the floor and his dignity?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    A little bit out there as far as suggestions go, but could you perhaps try training him to use a litter box? I know it's more of a small dog/apartment thing, but if you could get one of those large flat storage boxes, and put garden soil or cat litter in it (and possibly a perimeter of paper for spillage) maybe that would save the floor and his dignity?

Well first of all you're not the first who mentions dignity or pride.

While I love my little old boy I must say I'm not sure he has the mental capacity for dignity or such. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does, he is aware he's doing something he shouldn't be doing thats for sure. But maybe we tend to reflect human emotions on our pets they're not necessarily capable of. I know they love us and they can trust and be afraid and they can be happy or sad, but dignity?

Anyways. That could be a good idea, I didn't know you could train a dog to do that. I know about cats alright, but I've never seen a dog going to a litter tray.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well first of all you're not the first who mentions dignity or pride.

While I love my little old boy I must say I'm not sure he has the mental capacity for dignity or such. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does, he is aware he's doing something he shouldn't be doing thats for sure. But maybe we tend to reflect human emotions on our pets they're not necessarily capable of. I know they love us and they can trust and be afraid and they can be happy or sad, but dignity?

Anyways. That could be a good idea, I didn't know you could train a dog to do that. I know about cats alright, but I've never seen a dog going to a litter tray.

Well when I say dignity, I more so mean giving him an alternative option which doesn't require a drastic change in his lifestyle, leaving him wondering what he did wrong :p

I know a few people living in apartments who have their small dogs litter trained. Now, I imagine it's a tad counter-productive (like paper training) in that you're still letting him go inside, but if he's doing it regularly and given his age, it might be worth trying out. Even if he only soiled in it once a day, it wouldn't be on your floor, and if he's used to going outside, then soil wouldnt be a bad idea, he might instinctively try to use it.

Just an update...

He has responded very well to the new food and the accidents have stopped. That's the good news.

He's also been to the vet and unfortunately he had to have two tumours removed today. They're not benign and the vet said he still may live for years but its not good news.

Poor fecker. He's still in good form however and we gonna have to wait and see how it goes... :(

Just an update...

He has responded very well to the new food and the accidents have stopped. That's the good news.

He's also been to the vet and unfortunately he had to have two tumours removed today. They're not benign and the vet said he still may live for years but its not good news.

Poor fecker. He's still in good form however and we gonna have to wait and see how it goes... :(

Least he's in good hands, has gotten to a ripe ould age and like the vet said, you might still get many years out of him! Once he's still enjoying life, getting about, enjoying the finer things and isn't in pain :o

• Advertisement

Just an update...

Really sorry to hear that Boskowski, but as the vet says, he may have years left in him. Try to enjoy him and not worry too much.

Glad the toilet accidents have stopped. I'd say he's a lot happier himself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have the same dog at the very same age. He's suffering a bit with age related issues but were doing our best to manage them and once he gets his medication he's fine. I would think however at that age once a year to the vet is just not enough, after all prevention is better than cure. We came very close to losing him a while back and it's just made us make the very most of every day we still have him

Actualliy I agree. But he was just before Christmas with the vet and he was perfect.

Turns out it was just a symptom of something far more sinister. The poor boy had cancer and as of this morning he is no more, just a little mound in our garden. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Omg that's so sad :(
    Sorry for your loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I'm so sorry for you and your loss. It sounds like he was well loved and had a good life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a lucky dog to have such a long life, with a family that loved him x

Oh no boskowski, I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences for your loss. It sounds like your fella had a great life and that he truly was one of the family. Hopefully he didn't suffer too much.

All the best at this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Sorry to hear the news. However he had a happy life with a couple that loved him and that alone should be some consolation for you both.

If and when you get another I hope he/she will have as long to enjoy a happy life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

So sorry for your loss. I had been following this thread and didnt expect to read that he was gone. He obviously had a great life because of you. Take care.

Advertisement