Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for new residents?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a car soon that I will use mainly to go to work. My collegues advised me to get it insured at 123.ie but I just had a chat with them and they say they won't offer me an insurance because I haven't been living in Ireland for long enough.

I've been living here since september 2012, I was living in France before, I am French, I've had a car and an insurance on my name there for the past 4 years. I have had my driving licence since 2009 (French / European driving licence)

Can you please advise me on my options now?

Many thanks,

Pauline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Maybe speak with an independent broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Panline

What's a broker? Where can I find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

A broker is someone who arranges a transaction between two parties. In this case they're someone who'll contact a few companies to get you a quote for car insurance. Have a look for one here:

http://www.iba.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had much the same problem when I arrived here from the Netherlands. I eventually got insured via Frank Glennon, a broker in Dublin (http://www.glennons.ie/), and once I'd got into the system, it was easy to switch to another insurance company after that.

You'll have to fight a bit to keep all or part of your no-claims discount though, and you'll need a letter (in English!) from your previous insurance company in France stating what your current no-claims discount is. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Panline wrote: »
    What's a broker? Where can I find one?

En anglais un courtier est appelé un 'broker'.

Also try some of the other insurance companies, some of them have that condition as your driving experience is based on you driving on the right as opposed to on the left.

You will more than likely need to send the insurance company a certified translation of your No Claims Bonus, that will cost you around €70, most translation companies will do that for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement