Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REILLO 40 BURNER PROBLEM

• 07-02-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got a problem with my Reillo 40 burner,( it was serviced in November last)
    2 weeks ago the burner just shut off by itself, the amber on/off switch was just blinking like it was air locked due to no oil but tank half full.
    I Tried to reset it nothing worked,
    I then opened the nut at the bottom and tried to bleed it and then powered it up, and kerosene was pumping out and its tried to start with air vent opening,
    Eventually on 9th attempt i got it to fire up and has worked ok (maybe a bit hard on kerosene) until This morning that is when the same thing happened but i can not get it to fire up,it will try to fire up but then shuts off again when i try to bleed it but not work.....
    Anyone able to advise please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Next to no fuel, a dirty photo cell can be a common easy fix problem, slide back your control box to expose the photo cell, and clean the eye with a tissue, without the eye the burner won't fire,
    Maybe have a look for a few images to familiarise yourself with the photo cell, a small white rectangular part which slides into the control box.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Check your fuel for water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Have you checked the fuel filter, same thing happened mine a couple of months back and when I checked the filter it was full of muck, it was just letting a small drop of oil through. Or your fuel pump could be on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭kincaid

Next to no fuel, a dirty photo cell can be a common easy fix problem, slide back your control box to expose the photo cell, and clean the eye with a tissue, without the eye the burner won't fire,
    Maybe have a look for a few images to familiarise yourself with the photo cell, a small white rectangular part which slides into the control box.......

ok thanks but when i open the nut and power it up and it tries to fire up, there is plenty of fuel coming out,

where is the filter located?

Run some into a glass jar and check for water.

• Advertisement

ok i cleaned the photo cell and it hums for ages and wouldnt fire up, tried cleaning it again and back to square one now again and will try to fire up for 5-6 seconds then shut down...
    will test for water 2moro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

kincaid wrote: »
    ok i cleaned the photo cell and it hums for ages and wouldnt fire up, tried cleaning it again and back to square one now again and will try to fire up for 5-6 seconds then shut down...
    will test for water 2moro

If when you try to start it and it just hums and motor does not start your problem is the capacitor that's the white tube like object directly below your control box.Go to your local heating supplier and ask them for a capacitor for a R40.Its a easy fit just disconnect the two wires in the control box base the capacitor is on a thread so just thread it off and connect the two wires. If your not confident to do that call in oil service man

Robbie.G wrote: »
    If when you try to start it and it just hums and motor does not start your problem is the capacitor that's the white tube like object directly below your control box.Go to your local heating supplier and ask them for a capacitor for a R40.Its a easy fit just disconnect the two wires in the control box base the capacitor is on a thread so just thread it off and connect the two wires. If your not confident to do that call in oil service man

hi,
    Will try that thanks but as i say
    l cleaned and it tried to fire up and just kept at a hum for 30 minutes and didnt fire so removed the control box and cleaned the photocell again and it back now to what it was doing from the start in that it will try to fire up for about few seconds and then shuts down again...

by the way where is the filter in these? is it in the actual pump

Robbie.G wrote: »
    If when you try to start it and it just hums and motor does not start your problem is the capacitor that's the white tube like object directly below your control box.

Or fuel pump siezed, not something you can play with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if its running for 30 mins without going to lockout you possibly have a faulty photocell
    or control box

• Advertisement

got it sorted turned out to be a faulty nozzle......thanks all

Advertisement