Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Return Costs

Options
  • 07-02-2013 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi, how's it going? So I bought shoes off eBay last week. Got them in the post yesterday and they had only gone and shipped me a completely different pair, ones that I had not ordered at all.

Annoying enough, I then emailed and they only got back today about refunding or exchanging. In said email, they said I am to pay for the goods to be returned:
    Please note that if your return is sent back via next day or special delivery, we can NOT offer a refund on your return postage; next day or special will be at your own cost.

Although not required, we recommend that you send your return back via a tracked or recorded service as we cannot be held responsible for goods that get lost or damaged in transit. We advise you keep your proof of postage until we have notified you that we have dealt with your request. Please allow 2-3 business days for your return to be processed. We will update you on your return’s status via the email address associated with your eBay account.

The store is located in the UK, isn't there some sort of EU law requiring them to pay the returns? Or is that only applicable to faulty good, in other words, am I in a grey area with this or what?

A quick response would be so helpful because I don't want to reply without being sure. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Is that not just saying that they will not pay for an express service? That is how I read it. Sounds like they will pay for standard postage. Not very clear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure now that I read it again... Ugh, looks like I've to waste another day now asking them through email. Hopefully they respond fast/say that it is free.

EDIT: Actually maybe I should hit two birds with one stone in this email, so I'm not waiting the whole day to get a reply. So my question stands, if they do mean I have to pay postage, should I have to?

However, now that it's being discussed, am I better off to send it back via tracked email in case they say they never got it or something? I'm not very trusting of them right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The way I read that message is that they wouldn't pay the extra on express shipping, but I'd read between the lines they'd pay for regular post.

Mistakes happen, buying online - especially clothes - has its problems. I know you're not too chuffed right now, but I'd giv'em the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't say you have an actual consumer issue here just yet.

No that's fair enough, I am annoyed, mostly because I really wanted them for my birthday next weekend and I honestly can't shell out more money for another pair at this stage, but saying that I probably will have to... Ugh.

I do know it's probably only a small mistake, I'm not trying to say they're scam artists or anything, please don't get me wrong. I do feel a bit iffy now but I guess that's expected, considering! I sent an email asking to clarify what their terms are of returning and payment.

To play devil's advocate though and in case they so actually expect me to pay, can someone answer my question? I'm actually curious to know now at this stage regardless. Plus they usually reply in the early morning so to have an answer ready for them either way would be useful, rather than waiting and then getting an email off them saying it/having to ask again on here and wait for a reply!

Trying to cover all bases is all! I want to get this over with ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

If you are going to try and claim from Ebay or PayPal (which you should in this case) you MUST return the goods with a tracking number. Your shoes were significantly not as described (referred to as SNAD in Ebay forums and help pages) so you are entitled to get return postage, including tracking costs.
    If you don't have tracking details, you will get nowhere and if the buyer doesn't refund you in the end you'll be left with no money and no shoes. Don't wait around too long before initiating an official complaint - you have limited time to do so (45 days AFAIR).

• Advertisement

Oh really? Is that an eBay rule or actual official legislation of online shopping? I'm going to google SNAD and see what comes up so.

So, even if I return with tracking, they are still the ones who should pay for it? That's 100% correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

From my experience, many shops tend not to be explicit that they will pay for return postage, and usually leave it up to you to ask, but they seem pretty well up to speed once you mention it to them. Whenever I've returned items, I've always asked first 'what proof do they need from me to facilitate a refund of the postage'. Just makes it easier (and has sometimes resulted in me getting to just keep the item!!!!)

The legislation covering this issue are the Distance Selling Regulations. Well, the seller will say it's the UK's transposition of the exact same thing (SI 2000/2334).

Tracking number isn't specifically required in the legislation, but it just makes sense to protect yourself - otherwise there is absolutely no proof that they received the item. The 45 days that Teagwee mentions must be an eBay thing... when you get faulty or incorrect/substitute goods, you need to be starting the returns procedure as soon as possible..... which you did do since you've already contacted the seller to establish how to return item. 45 days would be far too long to exercise your rights under the legislation in my opinion.

Resi12 wrote: »
    Oh really? Is that an eBay rule or actual official legislation of online shopping? I'm going to google SNAD and see what comes up so.

So, even if I return with tracking, they are still the ones who should pay for it? That's 100% correct?

This relates to Ebay/PayPal purchases only and the buyer will have to fight their corner on the claim/dispute process for the return postage costs. A tracking number is essential for this process. The fact that entirely the wrong shoes were sent strengthens their case IMO. Ebay has a Buyer's forum which can advise further - worth checking into as sometimes SNAD is a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

I'm not being smart but I do not see a major issue here.
    The goods that were purchased were not delivered, A different colour item was delivered, this was not ordered or wanted.
    If the company were not proactive is sorting out their customer then I reckon that the purchaser should institute a Paypal claim on the basis of non receipt of the goods that were ordered, I would then email the seller acknowledging receipt of an item that I had not ordered and request them to arrange collection within say 30 days at a time suitable to me.
    The company made a mistake and they should take responsibility for this and the inconvenience caused to the purchaser by their error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Resi12 wrote: »
    Hi, how's it going? So I bought shoes off eBay last week. Got them in the post yesterday and they had only gone and shipped me a completely different pair, ones that I had not ordered at all.

Annoying enough, I then emailed and they only got back today about refunding or exchanging. In said email, they said I am to pay for the goods to be returned:
    Please note that if your return is sent back via next day or special delivery, we can NOT offer a refund on your return postage; next day or special will be at your own cost.

Although not required, we recommend that you send your return back via a tracked or recorded service as we cannot be held responsible for goods that get lost or damaged in transit. We advise you keep your proof of postage until we have notified you that we have dealt with your request. Please allow 2-3 business days for your return to be processed. We will update you on your return’s status via the email address associated with your eBay account.

The store is located in the UK, isn't there some sort of EU law requiring them to pay the returns? Or is that only applicable to faulty good, in other words, am I in a grey area with this or what?

A quick response would be so helpful because I don't want to reply without being sure. Thank you in advance.

My reading of their returns is they won't pay for express postage but will for normal, since express can be many multiples of normal postage I don't see that as an issue. Just sticking a 2kg parcel to the UK with An Post has it at €27.50 for standard and €44.63 for express. Not the best but if they allowed express returns it would kill their profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Generally a seller on ebay will refund postage equal to the postage used to send the item in the first place.
    If it was sent by regular post, they will refund you for regular post. Probably not for express/registered post if that is not what they sent it by.

Also worth noting now when you send stuff out of Ireland, registered post or no, you have to include a customs declaration sticker that will have your return address. It comes in handy when people, sellers or buyers, claim they did not receive the item. You inform them that if they do not receive it, it will be returned to you free of charge ;)

So I would say send it by regular post with your return address on it, they will refund you this. But sending it by registered post is a service they didn't offer you, so unlikely a service they will refund for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

That's ridiculous from the past poster.
    Do not send the item normal post.
    U have to send reg post as they can just say it didnt arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

They say they will not pay for Special or Next Day not that they will not pay Registered post.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous from the past poster.
    Do not send the item normal post.
    U have to send reg post as they can just say it didnt arrive

I didnt say send it by normal post, I said send it by normal post and they will refund this, send it by registered post and they probably won't ;)

If there is no proof that the seller received the item back (and they then claim they didn't receive it) the buyer will get nothing at all, neither the postage nor a refund.
    There's no need to send by express post - just some form ot tracked/recorded delivery. I'm not sure what is available for this option via An Post.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I didnt say send it by normal post, I said send it by normal post and they will refund this, send it by registered post and they probably won't ;)

Sorry what??

So I would say send it by regular post with your return address on it, they will refund you this

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Sorry what??

So I would say send it by regular post with your return address on it, they will refund you this

Yes, send it by regular post and it will be refunded.
    I don't mean OP should send it by regular post, just that they can expect to be refunded if they do. But not if they send by a more expensive type of post.

"So I would say send it by regular post with your return address on it, they will refund you this. But sending it by registered post is a service they didn't offer you, so unlikely a service they will refund for."

Meant in the full phrase context. Do this, and they will do this. But do that, and they won't :P

Well u should have said that. If your returning an item never send it without reg post for the sake of 2/3 euro more that u may lose at least your going to get a full item refund

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

mikehn wrote: »
    I'm not being smart but I do not see a major issue here.
    The goods that were purchased were not delivered, A different colour item was delivered, this was not ordered or wanted.
    If the company were not proactive is sorting out their customer then I reckon that the purchaser should institute a Paypal claim on the basis of non receipt of the goods that were ordered, I would then email the seller acknowledging receipt of an item that I had not ordered and request them to arrange collection within say 30 days at a time suitable to me.
    The company made a mistake and they should take responsibility for this and the inconvenience caused to the purchaser by their error.

PayPal will tell you to return them traceable, and tell you to pay for the postage.

Sellers SHOULD pay postage, but some don't. They don't have to, per eBay / Paypal rules.

Advertisement