Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry electronic confugurations

• 07-02-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Im really stuck with this question and hope someone can help

Question from last year

State the number of
    (1)sub-levels (subshells), (ii) orbitals, occupied by electrons in an argon atom
    in its ground state.

In know how to work out the electonic configuaration
    1s2, 2s2 2p6, 3s2 3p6

I understand the subshells.

But how do you get the orbitals, i know the answer is 9 but where does that come from?

anyhelp
    Greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Sunny!! wrote: »

Ok, I've only taken up chemistry in college this year so I am a bit rusty so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, my understanding is, 'S' orbitals have 1 shell, 'P' orbitals have 3 shells. So, 1s2 (1) + 2s2 (1) + 2p6 (3) + 3s2 (1) + 3p6 (3) = 9 orbitals

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

In every P sublevel, you have the px, py and pz orbital, so when you write out the configuration with the orbitals included it looks like this: 1S2, 2S2, 2Px2,2Py2,2Pz2,3S2, 3Px2,3Py2,3Pz2

And thats nine orbitals, hope i explained that okay,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

thanks very much. I get it now :D

Advertisement