Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle-neck Dundalk

Options
  • 07-02-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭

What is it with Dundalk that people think it is ok to stop their car in the traffic, put on the blinkers, and abandon it while they go to collect a take-away or some other shopping?
    I am fed up of it. Francis Street is crazy with lane hoppers. People driving past the queue of traffic on their left and bulling their way in when they reach Park Street. Why can't they get into the proper lane?
    Park Street at night is mad with cars stopping and double parking outside Chinese takeaways or chippers. Taxi drivers think they own the road and bull their way around the town. I know trade is poor but there is no need for bad manners. It doesn't seem to happen to this degree anywhere else in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

What is it with Dundalk that people think it is ok to stop their car in the traffic, put on the blinkers, and abandon it while they go to collect a take-away or some other shopping?

"Responsibility for enforcing the law in Ireland relating to illegal parking and stopping of motor vehicles rests with traffic wardens and An Garda Siochana (Irish police force). Illegal parking and stopping of vehicles on public roads in Ireland are considered traffic offences. Together with an Garda Siochana, traffic wardens are empowered to issue fixed-charge fines for these offences."

Taken from Citizens Information website.

They're breaking the law - ring the police. Or if between the hours of (is it 8 am - 6 pm?) tell a traffic warden if you see one.

Most of us have smart phones with cameras - if it's really bothering you, snap a photo of the car with the reg number clearly shown and report it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

It's nothing compared to Monaghan Street in Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mod9maple wrote: »
    "Responsibility for enforcing the law in Ireland relating to illegal parking and stopping of motor vehicles rests with traffic wardens and An Garda Siochana (Irish police force). Illegal parking and stopping of vehicles on public roads in Ireland are considered traffic offences. Together with an Garda Siochana, traffic wardens are empowered to issue fixed-charge fines for these offences."

They're breaking the law - ring the police. Or if between the hours of (is it 8 am - 6 pm?) tell a traffic warden if you see one.

Most of us have smart phones with cameras - if it's really bothering you, snap a photo of the car with the reg number clearly shown and report it in person.

There should and would be no need for Garda involvement if people would just obey the rules and respect other motorists. It's not about prosecutions, it's about respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What is it with Dundalk that people think it is ok to stop their car in the traffic, put on the blinkers, and abandon it while they go to collect a take-away or some other shopping...

It's not just a Dundalk thing. It happens everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There should and would be no need for Garda involvement if people would just obey the rules and respect other motorists. It's not about prosecutions, it's about respect.

Absolutely, I agree. But my point stands - they're breaking the law, and it can be reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You need to travel more. It is exactly the same in every town and village in Ireland. Doesn't make it right but let's put it in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Absolutely, I agree. But my point stands - they're breaking the law, and it can be reported.

you sound like a bag of fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

rogieop wrote: »
    you sound like a bag of fun.

What exactly were you expecting in a thread about traffic offences?

Whereabouts in Francis St.? I can't blame someone for lane-hopping as far as Earl St. since it narrows to one lane there anyway. Would be more efficient if people would use both lanes all the way to there I'd imagine. :pac:

Whereabouts in Francis St.? I can't blame someone for lane-hopping as far as Earl St. since it narrows to one lane there anyway. Would be more efficient if people would use both lanes all the way to there I'd imagine. :pac:

Coming from Francis St into Park St there are still two lanes. The left lane for going on up to Dublin St and the right for heading into the Demesne. The problem is that when you are in the left lane motorists jump the queue by passing out in the right lane and then bulling their way into the left lane.
    Have see a few arguments ensue over this.

• Advertisement

Coming from Francis St into Park St there are still two lanes. The left lane for going on up to Dublin St and the right for heading into the Demesne. The problem is that when you are in the left lane motorists jump the queue by passing out in the right lane and then bulling their way into the left lane.
    Have see a few arguments ensue over this.

Before you get to there is the pinch point I'm talking about so from St. Patrick's to the 24 hour shop is 2 lanes, then it narrows then widens again. That's the problem.

Buttonftw wrote: »

Before you get to there is the pinch point I'm talking about so from St. Patrick's to the 24 hour shop is 2 lanes, then it narrows then widens again. That's the problem.
    That pinch point is quite manageable if people did not park at it - double yellows are constantly ignored and taxis seem to be the biggest offenders there.
    Come to think of it, taxis are the greatest culprits for double parking and general ignorance of the traffic rules about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

I think this is an offense but I am not qualified to say it is and depending on the time of day or night.
    I am fed up of it. Francis Street is crazy with lane hoppers. People driving past the queue of traffic on their left and bulling their way in when they reach Park Street. Why can't they get into the proper lane?
    There is only one unmarked lane so an experienced driver with advanced knowledge of the road condition where people habitually take up the left hand side of the road knowing full well that there is the possibility of an obstacle stopping in front of them . The driver to the right of them commits no driving offence if they are passing stationary traffic but is mindful that the person who is stuck in traffic is hopping mad with themselves for making that decision .
    Park Street at night is mad with cars stopping and double parking outside Chinese takeaways or chippers. Taxi drivers think they own the road and bull their way around the town. I know trade is poor but there is no need for bad manners. It doesn't seem to happen to this degree anywhere else in the country.
    There are other ways around Park Street at night if the problem bothers you so much.

Is it true that Taxi drivers think they own the roads and bull their way around town ?

Are you also saying because trade is poor that the Taxi drivers are bad mannered and "It" doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the country ?

It now brings on the question of driving experience outside and beyond Francis and Park Street

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I think this is an offense but I am not qualified to say it is and depending on the time of day or night.
    There is only one unmarked lane so an experienced driver with advanced knowledge of the road condition where people habitually take up the left hand side of the road knowing full well that there is the possibility of an obstacle stopping in front of them . The driver to the right of them commits no driving offence if they are passing stationary traffic but is mindful that the person who is stuck in traffic is hopping mad with themselves for making that decision .
    There are other ways around Park Street at night if the problem bothers you so much.

Is it true that Taxi drivers think they own the roads and bull their way around town ?

Are you also saying because trade is poor that the Taxi drivers are bad mannered and "It" doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the country ?

It now brings on the question of driving experience outside and beyond Francis and Park Street

I have been driving for over 35 years. No accidents (didn't cause any either), no penalty points, no court appearances. Have driven all over Ireland, England and many parts of Europe.
    I do find our Taxi drivers a bit arrogant and bullish.
    If there are not 2 lanes in Francis St then why are the cars two abreast?
    There are ways around Dublin too but many have to use the city just like many have to pass through Park St. Some motorists use to right-hand lane to skip traffic which is a bad-mannered thing to do.

I have been driving for over 35 years. No accidents (didn't cause any either), no penalty points, no court appearances. Have driven all over Ireland, England and many parts of Europe.
    I do find our Taxi drivers a bit arrogant and bullish.
    If there are not 2 lanes in Francis St then why are the cars two abreast?
    There are ways around Dublin too but many have to use the city just like many have to pass through Park St. Some motorists use to right-hand lane to skip traffic which is a bad-mannered thing to do.

Please don't misunderstand me Tayto I wasn't attacking you , I 'm looking at the situation which presents itself in the area of topic. I looked at Street View before I posted to make sure to see if two lanes were clearly marked . It's my opinion that a driver has a right to occupy the middle of the street in any given situation .

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Please don't misunderstand me Tayto I wasn't attacking you , I 'm looking at the situation which presents itself in the area of topic. I looked at Street View before I posted to make sure to see if two lanes were clearly marked . It's my opinion that a driver has a right to occupy the middle of the street in any given situation .

Sorry about that. I asked a Garda and he informed me that there is intended to be 2 lanes all the way to the lights leading into the Demesne and Park St south.

Sorry about that. I asked a Garda and he informed me that there is intended to be 2 lanes all the way to the lights leading into the Demesne and Park St south.

No foul Tayto , Looking to the future perhaps one day we will have a traffic controller something like an Air traffic controller who will give us advance notice as to the position we should take .

We all have faults and i'm no exception when it comes to driving a car . Hundreds of near misses , a couple of fender benders with me looking a pretty women , faulty lights , and running out of petrol to name a few . What gets up my nose are drivers on the other side of the road inviting people to cross the road in front of them . Or women with buggy carts pushing their kids out in front of on coming traffic . Safe Home .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

There should also be lane marking when you go around towards the Demesne (i.e. pass Jimmys bar on your RHS) so that you do not have to stop (unless the pedestrian lights are red). There is plenty of room there to allow traffic coming from Park St South and coming around from Jimmy's to continue together without either having to give way. they can then sort out which lane they need to be in before the next junction. However seeing as drivers cant manage the new "square" freeflow lanes it's probably best left as it is!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

There is a V arrow mark as you round the turn at St. Patricks so there is definately provision for two lanes.

cargo wrote: »

There should also be lane marking when you go around towards the Demesne (i.e. pass Jimmys bar on your RHS) so that you do not have to stop (unless the pedestrian lights are red). There is plenty of room there to allow traffic coming from Park St South and coming around from Jimmy's to continue together without either having to give way. they can then sort out which lane they need to be in before the next junction. However seeing as drivers cant manage the new "square" freeflow lanes it's probably best left as it is!!!
    That point at Jimmy's is a junction. Traffic coming from the Francis St direction are joining the main route and therefore must yield just as at any other such junction.

• Advertisement

Yes as it is currently lined but my point is that there is room for 2 lanes in Market Sq St so if it was lined for 2 streets it would take away the "junction" status and allow free flow. But knowing the level of competence in our drivers it would become either a Yield as it already is or a free-flow into each other :-)

Yes as it is currently lined but my point is that there is room for 2 lanes in Market Sq St so if it was lined for 2 streets it would take away the "junction" status and allow free flow. But knowing the level of competence in our drivers it would become either a Yield as it already is or a free-flow into each other :-)

I think the "Yield" sign is no longer there.

I think the "Yield" sign is no longer there.

Didnt notice but as Srameen says the normal rules of the road will apply in hte absense of a yield sign. Actually it should be Yield to the right unless you are joining a road so if there was no sign there telling you which is the major and minor roads you would have no way of knowing.

However thinking through it now I dont believe the Yield signs would be taken down for this reason. Are the filter lights on flashing yellow? Might explain it otherwise.

There is Yield sign there (2 hours ago) because the give way to merging from the right does not apply when a minor route meets a superior one. The road travelling from Dublin St through Park St to the Square is the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

I've never experienced the queue skipping the OP is on about but then I avoid the town centre like the plague. If I have to get to the northern end of the town I'll go around the ramparts and cut in where I need to. Even better than that is doubling back a bit from where I live to get on to the bypass and again cutting in to where I need to go. I might even resort to taking a quick spin on the motorway and jumping off at the Dundalk north exit near the Castletown road. Just anything to avoid traffic. :D

I can confirm there are diverging arrows as you come on to Francis street but it's extremely difficult to maintain 2 lanes when you reach the pinch point at the top of Earl St. Also 7 times out of 10 as you round that point, lo and behold there is a car stopped with hazard lights blinking. Watch out for road rage too, I was addressed as a d***y c**t for accidentally stopping some guy getting into a parking space he wanted.

Ugghhh please no I like it as it is. The one and only time I ever attempted a lane change around that bend I got my right rear quarter chewed up by a lorry. :( It wouldn't work anyway as often there is so much traffic you would just be moving the queue from the junction with Park St to half way around the bend with them all indicating right trying to merge in and go through the square. Better to separate everybody at the junction. ;)

Advertisement