Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 sciences - might not happen

• 08-02-2013 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

I want to do the 3 sciences but there's a strong possibility that I won't get them. I am really worried that I will be stuck in some class I couldn't care about. I want to do applied maths outside school but I will not be able to do it and will be forced to do one science outside school instead of applied maths. Advice??; I'm bricking it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

If your school do not provide the subjects you want, immediately refuse to do the subject you are dumped into. If you tell them the way it is, they will relent and allow you to study during that timetabled class, be it in the back of the room or the school library. This time can be spent studying the other subject.

If it came to only picking two, I personally would go with Chemistry and Biology.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

Methememb wrote: »
    If your school do not provide the subjects you want, immediately refuse to do the subject you are dumped into. If you tell them the way it is, they will relent and allow you to study during that timetabled class, be it in the back of the room or the school library. This time can be spent studying the other subject.

If it came to only picking two, I personally would go with Chemistry and Biology.

Good luck!

I think biology is easier to learn without a teacher. Chem.&phys. overlap really well, just as phys&applied maths. Since he wants to do applied maths the phys&chem combination would be better I think.
    Bio&chem barely overlap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Coming from a 6th year who likes maths and science:

Biology is the easiest for me. There is a lot of information to learn off but it's fairly simple and learning large bulks of info is a strong point for me.

Chemistry also has a lot to learn off and the information is often more difficult to remember so I dropped it in place of DCG after a month or two.

Physics is grand if your good at maths. One classmate is very good at maths (we're going to the final of a national maths quiz if it gives you an indication of how good he is), but he HATES physics. Liking one does not necessarily mean you will like the other.

Applied Maths can be tough but does have a nice overlap with physics. Quite a good option if you like calculations but are too lazy for paragraph-heavy subjects.

Chemistry is the highest maintainence in my opinion.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Biology is 95% learning off. You could do it on your own without a teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Methememb wrote: »

Good luck!

You can't say for sure that the OP's school will allow him/her to do that. That's daft advice.

OP, there's no point worrying about it until you make your choices and the school then give you the subject blocks.

Possible scenarios:

1. You get the three sciences, problem solved
    2. You get two of the three, then you have to make a decision on whether or not to take the third one outside school or not and continue with a different subject in school.
    3. You don't get what you want, the school don't accommodate you (nor are they obliged to) and you move schools to get the three sciences.

Cross that bridge when you come to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement