Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Holidays

Options
  • 08-02-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have particular problem

2 months ago we were asked to apply for holidays. 1 week spring, 2 week summer, 1 week Autumn.

So I put in my requested holidays.

As we couldn't book anything as no date were guaranteed, in that time all the accommodation and flight i would have like are gone.

Now they(company x) wont give me them days i requested and suggest alternatives that are very far removed form what I need.

1. What is my position legally. Can they force dates onto me?
    2. Is there any form of redress/ complaints.

Said Company are not v. nice dealing with this type of stuff are I have been told verbally "tough luck" and "suck it up"

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Your employer decides when you will take your holidays. So provided they have given you enough notice, they are within their rights to say when you are permitted to take leave.
    Taking annual leave

It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within 6 months of the relevant leave year. Further holding over (also known as carrying-over) of annual leave at your wish is a matter for agreement between you and your employer.

so provided they are giving you at least one months notice of the change of dates, and are not expecting you to work for 6 mths without a day off (which from your post doesn't seem to be the case) then they are within their rights and there is little you can do about it.

I take it you are new to the company, given that you were not familiar with the process before. If this is the case then I wouldn't go making too much fuss over it as if you are still on probation this won't present you very favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Thanks,

Im in the company 5 years and this is the first time they are doing this.
    Price of holiday id over 1.2k different from that date i want and whet they are offering.
    True that I am not working over 6 months consecutive.

Just feel somthing the cat dragged in, the are they are doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would say that they must be bringing this new stricter policy in because managing AL was becoming an issue. I know its no consolation to you, but it is not your employers concern where you go on holiday or what it costs - where you go is entirely at your descretion. all they have to take into consideration is your opportunity for rest and recreation and family obligations. I would love to go to the Carribean, but to avoid the rainy season I would have to go during my offices busiest time - so it's just not going to happen as I am never going to get approval to take AL during those 3 months of the year. It sucks having to work for a living :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where I work, you book holidays in Jan for the next 12 months, its first in, first served, no exceptions. Once the week is gone, its gone. Holidays start on a Sunday, so cant ever fly out on a Saturday, as you'll be working.

Advertisement