Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum 70 error and question

Options
  • 08-02-2013 11:05am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I have gotten a quantum 70 installed recently.

I have a few questions on it, first the simcard that was supplied with it had a cost of €8+vat & then an allounce of €1 was allowed for txt messages

Last Sunday I got rid of that sim and bought my own PAYG o2 simcard & put 10 credit on it.

Yesterday I had gotten a txt from the alarm saying “GSM Line Flt” I got a call from a neighbour saying the alarm was going off & everything looked ok

Now this morning I get another call of the neighbour saying the alarm is going off again, but no txt. Then around 8 mins later I get the same txt “GSM Line Flt”

My father went up about 30mins later to turn the alarm off, but the bell alarm was off & the internal siren was no longer sounding(I am unsure how long they sound for)

Does anyone know what this fault means? Would it sound the alarm if the GSM sim looses signal(and then it thinks someone is potentially using a GSM blocker to break in)

Also I have another query is it possible for me to txt the sim from my phone while I am out to remote set the alarm if I had forgotten about it?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Lenny wrote: »
    Hello, I have gotten a quantum 70 installed recently.

I have a few questions on it, first the simcard that was supplied with it had a cost of €8+vat & then an allounce of €1 was allowed for txt messages

Last Sunday I got rid of that sim and bought my own PAYG o2 simcard & put 10 credit on it.

Yesterday I had gotten a txt from the alarm saying “GSM Line Flt” I got a call from a neighbour saying the alarm was going off & everything looked ok

Now this morning I get another call of the neighbour saying the alarm is going off again, but no txt. Then around 8 mins later I get the same txt “GSM Line Flt”

My father went up about 30mins later to turn the alarm off, but the bell alarm was off & the internal siren was no longer sounding(I am unsure how long they sound for)

Does anyone know what this fault means? Would it sound the alarm if the GSM sim looses signal(and then it thinks someone is potentially using a GSM blocker to break in)

Also I have another query is it possible for me to txt the sim from my phone while I am out to remote set the alarm if I had forgotten about it?

Many thanks

The ready to go sim will do the same as the bill sim that is provided in the gsm.
    It does sound like the signal for the sim is not great. Maybe a different service provider will work better for you in your area.
    The internal and external bell would be set for 15 minutes. When this time runs out the system rearms. When the system was disarmed, what did the system say was the alarm activation?
    If you have a HKC GSM installed then you will be able to control the system with text commands.
    Here is a link to the manual.
    http://altor.ie/downloads_16.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The error message what was on the txt message, would the alarm log say different? So it does go off when it looses signal? Would their be a way in disabling this option, so it would seem still be armed. I don't want the house to be the one were the alarm goes off all the time.
    My friend who installed it said the sim card was getting good reception, it's on O2 went with them as their sim cards don't expire.
    The aim card is located within the panel so that would be a hkc gsm?

The error message what was on the txt message, would the alarm log say different? So it does go off when it looses signal? Would their be a way in disabling this option, so it would seem still be armed. I don't want the house to be the one were the alarm goes off all the time.
    My friend who installed it said the sim card was getting good reception, it's on O2 went with them as their sim cards don't expire.
    The aim card is located within the panel so that would be a hkc gsm?

The alarm log would tell you what it was that activated the alarm. You would need to see the log to determine this. Yes the plug on GSM would allow you remote access to the panel. The GSM from what you said just sent you a text when the signal came back on line. This would indicate an issue with the strength of the signal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok I'll check out the log. May not get to do it until tomorrow.
    I had read the manual yesterday its the same one on your downloads page. But I don't see a section on it on what the txt commands I have to text to the sim? Do I have to look under the panel for a plug/switch?

Ok I'll check out the log. May not get to do it until tomorrow.
    I had read the manual yesterday its the same one on your downloads page. But I don't see a section on it on what the txt commands I have to text to the sim? Do I have to look under the panel for a plug/switch?

The texts are your user code space then the command.
    1111 arm/disarm and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

In the arming options menu there is a feature called 'line fault bell' which you should have toggled to 'no'. If you have this already toggled to 'no' (which is likely as that is the default option) and you are still getting the alarm activating when you get a line fault then that is down to a software glitch which I have come across a few times from panels installed just before xmas that don't have the very latest software. The fix for this unfortunately involves a software upgrade to the latest software which has to be done by connecting the panel to a laptop and uploading.
    However there is another way to solve it which involves finding a feature in the gsm menus where you can lengthen the time the signal has to be down before it triggers the line fault bell.
    Communicators
    Gsm module
    Options
    Signal Monitor
    Toggle 'monitor signal' to no or if you prefer lengthen 'fault delay' time

Missed your post john, thanks for your reply
    I had set the signal monitor to 25 mins about 2 weeks ago.
    but it is still happening, it happened on saturday morning, and again today,when the alarm was NOT activated, it beeped, flashed the red(it would have went off if it was set)
    I went into the coms menu to see what the signal of the sim card was and it kept just saying "sim card missing", the red light flashed on it for about 20 mins and I couldn't check the signal
    I am being told that the simcard is loosing reception(and the less credit on it, the more likely the phone operators will drop it off reception) for and this is why it is going off, but the sim card looses reception for 25 mins? the signal is at very good 80%

here was log when i got home this evening.
    15:16 GSM Line Flt
    15:27 GSM Line Flt-OK

I have just changed the signal monitor to "No" there, so it won't txt when the alarm goes off.
    'line fault bell' which you should have toggled to 'no' this was already set
    Jam detection is set to "no"
    I have checked the version and its at 3.0.4 I got the alarm in early Janurary so its possible it could be pre xmas stock, my friend has rang hkc and they're telling him that its just down to the simcard having little credit and operator kicking it offline.
    How would I go about updating the firmware, would I loose all the settings on it or is it straight forward, could I do it myself?
    Does it sound like the alarm/simcard holder is faulty with the "sim missing" that I was getting last saturday

Since the sim is working then not working it is more than likely a signal issue. Can you try a different sim in the alarm to rule out this issue.
    If you got both the control panel and plug on GSM at the same time then any panels in wholesalers would of being flashed with the latest software to allow the plug on GSM work.
    It is just to rule out an issue with the sim or the GSM itself.

yes I had ordered another new sim card(o2) a while back as I had locked myself out of the o2 account and could not top up
    it was just easier to get another new number. so I had one for about 6/7 weeks and now I am on another one.
    both controler & gsm were got at the same time

yes I had ordered another new sim card(o2) a while back as I had locked myself out of the o2 account and could not top up
    it was just easier to get another new number. so I had one for about 6/7 weeks and now I am on another one.
    both controler & gsm were got at the same time

Sounds like a issue with the GSM so, I would go into the default menu first and default and test. If that does not work then bring the GSM back and get it replaced.

• Advertisement

Could you explain a little more on what settings I should I go into?
    by sayin default/same as factory reset for the sim?

I had thought the quantum 70 had the gsm build into it and it was not a separate unit, as it was inside the cover panel

Could you explain a little more on what settings I should I go into?
    by sayin default/same as factory reset for the sim?

I had thought the quantum 70 had the gsm build into it and it was not a separate unit, as it was inside the cover panel

If you go into service menu, defaults menu, default GSM.

No the GSM-Q is an add on. it is just slotted onto the board.

ok, so i select "default comms?"
    Before i do this, will this just reset the gsm, & delete the numbers stored?
    I won't have to go doing up all the settings again(as I didn't set this unit up)
    and is there a test menu for it?
    thanks for your help

ok, so i select "default comms?"
    Before i do this, will this just reset the gsm, & delete the numbers stored?
    I won't have to go doing up all the settings again(as I didn't set this unit up)
    and is there a test menu for it?
    thanks for your help

Yes just default the comms. It wont delete any other settings in the control panels like codes or sensors. Then down power the system. mains and battery. and power back up. You will need to set up time, date, sms numbers and the site line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

On the new sim you got did you turn off the pin code?

altor wrote: »
    Yes just default the comms. It wont delete any other settings in the control panels like codes or sensors. Then down power the system. mains and battery. and power back up. You will need to set up time, date, sms numbers and the site line.

So turn off all power off trip switches and remove battery for a minute would be sufficient? also "site line" this is the info the alarm txt's me, (my name & road)
    I think I'll do this and see how it works for a few more weeks, I'll also re-enable line monitor, but will be leaving it at 25 mins, the 5 mins was just too short and its horrible to be waking up to the alarm going off during the night
    On the new sim you got did you turn off the pin code?

AFAIK, I turned if off by putting it into my own phone, and I also doubt the system would be able to boot the sim as I have never put the simcard pin into the alarm

That is correct. 20 seconds will be enough.

Did you down power the system when you put the new sim in. Mains and battery.

The sim would not send the texts if it could not connect to the network if sim password was on.

sounds like its the software glitch to me combined with a poor signal. If you have toggled line fault bell to no and it still goes off then its software not the sim. Also if you have toggled line monitor to off and it still reports a line fault then its nothing to do with sim card. Yes the signal is going bad but if those things are toggled off then you should not be getting alarms and reports. I've seen it before with gsm plug on and built in dtv. Unless you get a perfect signal all the time you will get trouble so ideally you will have to get a sim with a perfect signal or else you will have to have the panel flashed.
    When its flashed you wont lose any other settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tekkenman

Hi Lenny, I just have my alarm installed recently and having the same problem.
    keep getting GSM Line Flt and GSM jam Flt texts.
    how did you fix your alarm in the end? thanks

Thats gas tekkenman, I only went looking for this topic today as I'm still having the problems!
    I had set the default time to 25 mins.. it still going off,
    my installer has said that there is a new software update out, perhaps someone can confirm if my version 3.0.4 is the most current?
    happened again last night, set the alarm. it went off about 1 hour later, then about 15mins I got the txt that it had went off(I had turned it off and was in the house)
    I turned off the singal monitor then to see if it will not go off during the night
    I set the alarm again and it said GSM LINE FAULT-CONTINUE ARMING?
    I selected yes,
    this morning I came down, and put the code in to disarm it, it still says GSM LINE FAULT, yellow & red lights are flashing.
    I went out, my partner then went out an hour after me, and she said it was still flashing, & she set it GSM LINE FAULT-CONTINUE ARMING?

does this sound a little off altor, is my software version correct or has there been a more up todate one this year?

• Advertisement

Thats gas tekkenman, I only went looking for this topic today as I'm still having the problems!
    I had set the default time to 25 mins.. it still going off,
    my installer has said that there is a new software update out, perhaps someone can confirm if my version 3.0.4 is the most current?
    happened again last night, set the alarm. it went off about 1 hour later, then about 15mins I got the txt that it had went off(I had turned it off and was in the house)
    I turned off the singal monitor then to see if it will not go off during the night
    I set the alarm again and it said GSM LINE FAULT-CONTINUE ARMING?
    I selected yes,
    this morning I came down, and put the code in to disarm it, it still says GSM LINE FAULT, yellow & red lights are flashing.
    I went out, my partner then went out an hour after me, and she said it was still flashing, & she set it GSM LINE FAULT-CONTINUE ARMING?

does this sound a little off altor, is my software version correct or has there been a more up todate one this year?

that must be a nightmare waking up your neighbours in the night all the time. so did the alarm go off after you turned off the signal monitor?
    also do you leave your alarm on during the night (zones)?

I am away but I received 10 texts from the house alarm saying 'GSM Line flt' or 'Jam flt'. I called the neighbours and they said they didn't hear any alarm during the night. I have an engineer coming today to check it for me.
    I will let you know if he fixes for me.
    I think it got something to do with the reception on the simcard. in my house area, the reception is pretty bad, I cant even get 1 bar when im in the house, however when we are testing the alarm text, it always works fine.

what a pain, maybe the solution is a landline......

well the alarm only goes off about about 30-45 seconds as I do jump out of bed to go and turn off the alarm!
    it has gone off during the day also, the neighbours do check the property but I do know its because of the gsm
    the signal on the alarm does be above 80%
    I living in the big smoke so mobile signal wouldn't be much of an issue.. and as I have changed the time for it to detect the signal drop to 25 mins.. have you ever lost your mobile signal for 25 mins in this day and age?!
    no the alarm sound after i turned off the monitor(I've never turned the monitor off) I am getting the gsm unit looked at by by the supplier, they say they have never had a faultgsm unit

for instance, alarm was set there last friday night/saturday morning
    it goes off at 7.06am saturday, I input code, siren turned off. GSM LINE FLT it says then abot 7.18 I get the sms to say the error & input of the code.

what is happening now is that the lights are flashing on it to say the error of gsm, even though when I text the alarm <code> status it sends me a txt back to say that its armed OK

the latest version is 3.0.8 and once you have the software upgraded and the line monitor toggled off then the problem should be solved.

the latest version is 3.0.8 and once you have the software upgraded and the line monitor toggled off then the problem should be solved.

ok thats good to know that, but what about also with the line fault thats at the moment? its still flashing red & amber. so do you recen that the gsm is faulty or it will sort that?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

His software seems fine . Version 3 and above is what the new gsm needs .

Do you have a digi connected aswell ?
    Through a phone line ?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    His software seems fine . Version 3 and above is what the new gsm needs .

ok, ill be updating it either way.. can only be a good thing
    Do you have a digi connected aswell ?
    Through a phone line ?

no landline installed, just simcard
    even though it still says the fault, i went into the comms menu and the signal strength is 80%

Hi Lenny, the engineer turned off the line monitor and jam monitor for me last night and problem solved. i think upgrade firmware is the way to go. Good luck!

I wouldn't advise leaving it turned off . If you can find the problem that would be best . I honestly don't think the software update will be of any benefit to fixing the issue. Version 3 and above works for the GSM . It sounds like a dodge signal .

• Advertisement

I wouldn't advise leaving it turned off . If you can find the problem that would be best . I honestly don't think the software update will be of any benefit to fixing the issue. Version 3 and above works for the GSM . It sounds like a dodge signal .

Thanks Evolution1, the problem is in the area im living the signal is very bad. most of the time it is getting only 50% signal and if I close the door, sometimes it will lose its reception. I don't want to let the alarm go off during the night or when im away to annoy the neighbours.

landline is not an option for me either as I have UPC , their phone line is digital which will cause the similar issue.

Advertisement