Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog stroke

• 08-02-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Our Westie who turns 15 in october took a very bad turn yesterday. He's gone nearly blind from what i can see and has very little hearing left. He can't see anything and is walking in circles using his sense of small to get around. His balance has gone a bit too and he stumbles from time to time. He's still eating aswell as he ever did. We brought him to vet straight away yesterday evening when it happened and he said he thought it was a stoke aswell definitely something neurological related anyway. He gave him an anti inflammatory and said being him back today at 5 and we'll make a decision then. So what do you think ? Looking at him now he could probably plod away for another few months but is it fair to leave him like that ? My mother is all for getting as long out of him as we can. Thanks for any advice !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's a heartbreaking decision to make, but you need to put the dog first. Is he in pain? Is he confused? Frightened? Do you think that he has a good quality of life, as he is now?

In the end the best piece of advice I've seen is 'better a day too early than a day too late'. I'd prefer to have my dog PTS before life becomes too hard or painful for her, but I know that it can be hard to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

It's really hard to say to be honest. He definitely isn't in pain. Just wandering about the kitchen bumping into things. Walking in circles to get his bearings. Still has a small amount of hearing so is using that and his smell to try and get a sense of where he is. Back legs are a tiny bit weak but that could be due to being blind. To be honest it's more the mothers decision because i'm in college during the week so only home at the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest if the dog is walking around dazed amd confused how do you think he feels?? Its not very fair and once the dog starts acting like this its kind to end his suffering.
    You might not think hes in pain as such, but is it fair to let them go on feeling confused, dazed, bumping into things?
    Being blind doesnt cause a dogs back legs to go weak, thats just old age or arthritis.
    See what the vet says later and take their advice as well.
    I dont think your mother is being very fair, keeping him alive as long as possible.
    Its one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make, but you need to think of the dog first and foremost here.
    15 is a great age for any dog so you have done great by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

I had to make that decision many years ago. Came down one morning to find my springer spaniel aged 13yrs had fallen and knocked over her water bowl. When I checked her out she was veering all to one side and stumbling. When she went down it was awful watching her trying to get up. She was already deaf and I just knew something major was wrong. I took her straight to the vet, knowing it was probably the last time with her. The vet said it was a stoke. So I made the decision there and then to let her go. Yes, it was very hard but what quality of life would she have had. I had to put her feelings first and not mine. Im sorry that you're now in this situation. Maybe if things start to improve you can rethink the situation.

He's moving around ok. He isn't falling that much now. But it's still very sad to see a dog that was in much better shape yesterday morning. We'll go with the vets decision I expect.

• Advertisement

Aswell as that he still eats like a dog twice his size despite the obvious difficulty in locating the food with his sense of smell.

Aww I know its hard, thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

please remember quality of years is better than quantity of years go with your vets advice dont let your heart rule your head

i had to make this very same decision last year with one of my springers who developed kidney problems at 4 years old way too soon its not easy but you know in your heart its the right thing to do its what they deserve after all the unconditional love they give us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It would be very distressing to be lost in a world you didnt understand anymore and your poor dog seems to be so. He has had a good old life for 15 years.....Its always a very difficult decision......but perhaps its kinder now to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP You have my sympathy.

I agree with the others, your dogs comfort should (and I'm sure will) come first.

If the only lasting effects of the stroke is loss of eyesight, there is no reason he can't go on to have a happy life with some help from the people in the house. If it's just blindness I mean. We'd all be confused and find it hard to navigate our own homes if our eyesight was to suddenly go.

If however his mind seems to be gone and he is distressed it's a different matter in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

OP I was in the same position 3 years ago with my 15 year old toy poodle. He had a fit which left him in the same disoriented state and also lame in one leg. My vet informed me that he had also suffered a stroke which had caused his leg to be paralysed.

I decided to nurse him at home for a few days to see if he was likely to improve. Within a week he was following me around the garden on 3 legs, back to his normal happy self. He lived, quite happily, for just over another year.

Every situation is different, so you just have to do what you think is best for your dog.

Just to update this. just back from vets and he said it would be a shame to let him go yet. He's still showing an interest on what's going on around him even if he is completely blind. So he's on epiphen for the rest of his life and if he gets any worse sure he's only on the other end of the phone. Thanks for the advice from everyone !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I have to admit for me it would come down to pain. if the dog was not in pain, however immobile they were, Id hang on to them. 15 isnt that old for a westie - ive seen many get to 17 or 18. if hes eating, hes still enjoying being part of the family - even if the majority of that time hes in his basket i'd be keeping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

medic087 wrote: »
    Just to update this. just back from vets and he said it would be a shame to let him go yet. He's still showing an interest on what's going on around him even if he is completely blind. So he's on epiphen for the rest of his life and if he gets any worse sure he's only on the other end of the phone. Thanks for the advice from everyone !!

I had a dalmation a long time ago that suffered a stroke at 14, and just like humans can, she made a remarkable recovery and lived happily until she was 17.
    You'll know when it's time, you just will.

To be honest i'm kind of getting that feeling this evening !! We'll give it a few days and see if there's any improvement. Heartbreaking seeing them like that !!

Yorkie passed away earlier today. I couldn't watch him suffer any more :-( . Thanks again for the advice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sorry to hear that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Aww sorry to hear that OP, RIP yorkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Medic, he had a fab life and I'm sure was a very happy fella. Well done for making such a hard decision for the good of your dog, he was lucky to have such a selfless owner.

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

RIP Yorkie. I'm really sorry for your loss. Tough call, Medic, I feel for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 candy69

so sorry for your loss, gorgeous photo. :( taughts are with you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry to hear that, lovely photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Rest in peace little fella.. take some comfort in that you gave him a long happy life! x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

so sorry i know how you feel

but well done for not letting him suffer after all its the last act of kindness we can do for them

Aww, Im so sorry to hear that. RIP little fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Sympathies on your loss, Medic.
    Never an easy decision to make.

Thanks guys. Probably the hardest decision i've ever had to make !! He was my dog since i was 10 years old. House is so empty without him.

Advertisement