Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

Options
  • 13-09-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭

My driving licence is due to expire in December but I was going to hold off getting a replacement until the new format licence is available in January. Back in March all the announcements said it would be introduced on Jan 19th due to an EU deadline of January 2013 (If it wasn't for the EU this country would still be stuck in 1972)

I heard on the radio this morning that Minister Varadkar complained about the delays of months caused by getting elements of the public service to work with the new format. Does anyone know if these delays have already been factored into the January 19th date or will that date now be pushed back further?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can it only be got on renewal? What would happen if you lost your licence etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

My understanding (open to correction) is that all licences issued before 19th January 2013 will be in the existing large, pink, hassle-to-carry-format regardless of whether it's a renewal, loss, new licence. After January 19th they are all credit card style.

I remember reading that holders of pinkies could apply for a new format after Jan 19 but you'd have to pay. Since I'm due for renewal in Dec I'm reluctant to carry a pinkie for another 10 years or pay on the double. I'm away for a couple of weeks over Christmas so I'll be driving very little without a valid licence. But if it was delayed to March/April then I'd have to go ahead and renew in Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

josip wrote: »
    My driving licence is due to expire in December but I was going to hold off getting a replacement until the new format licence is available in January. Back in March all the announcements said it would be introduced on Jan 19th due to an EU deadline of January 2013 (If it wasn't for the EU this country would still be stuck in 1972)

I heard on the radio this morning that Minister Varadkar complained about the delays of months caused by getting elements of the public service to work with the new format. Does anyone know if these delays have already been factored into the January 19th date or will that date now be pushed back further?

Don't hold your breadth. I recall actively considered getting a 3-year licence on my last renewal as there was talk of introducing the credit card version then. In the end I went for the cheaper 10 year option. My licence is up for renewal again next March.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I renewed in 2011 but I'd be happy to get a c.c. style one next year - much more wallet-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

the existing large, pink, hassle-to-carry-format

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get this. I just fold mine in half and stick it in a plastic sleeve. It lives in my wallet comfortably and is in pristine condition.

Of course, I rarely have to produce it, but unless you're hiring cars every week or being pulled over daily, who does?

• Advertisement

I tried it in my wallet for a while but folding over the 3 sheets of paper (didn't have a credit card sized plastic sleeve) ended up about 3 times thicker than a credit card and it can't fit into the credit card slots of my wallet. In other parts of my wallet it has an irresistible urge to reassert its original size causing my wallet to bulk out. When wearing a suit I'm conscious of it. For the amount of useful information on it, it's a bad use of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

For the amount of useful information on it, it's a bad use of space.

True enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Do ye not just keep it in the car? :confused:
    Mine's been in there for the past 7 years and still looks like it was just printed.
    I've only ever removed it when I changed my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Blazer wrote: »
    Mine's been in there for the past 7 years and still looks like it was just printed.
    I've only ever removed it when I changed my car.

Same as that. There's a holder in my sun visor for it to slide into and it's permanently there. I don't drive other cars so no need to have it in my wallet. If I get a credit card sized one it'll be going into the sun visor too.

Blazer wrote: »

I travel roughly once a month for work and usually hire a car. Over its lifetime that's approx,
    - 120 times take it out of the plastic sleeve and hand to the car hire person
    - 120 times car hire person flips over the pages trying to work which of the numbers from the licence to use and if I can hire the car
    - 120 times take it back from car hire person and put it into plastic sleeve (in its latter years fraying at the mouth, which nibble on my licence every time)
    - 10 times put licence into trousers back pocket and sit on it for a couple of hours
    - 20 times repeat above 3 steps when not travelling with uRyan Air to UK and use drivers licence as ID.
    - 1 time leave driving licence in clothes after travel to get laundered. Clever.

My licence no longer "looks like it was just printed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I sent mine off for renewall over two weeks ago and have received nothing back yet.

I lived in the US 22yrs ago and back then i had a lovely neat slim credit card sized US drivers license. I also had donor info very clear on it.

Ah some day we'll catch up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

IrishHomer wrote: »

Ah some day we'll catch up :o

Ireland will never ever ever catch up...by the time it does catch upto existing tech etc it's already 10 years at least out of date and everyone else has already moved on.
    When you see Estonia which is a much poorer country than Ireland doing their broadband fibre rollout correctly it makes you weep and rage at the idiots we have here in Government.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

awec wrote: »
    I love my credit card UK license. :) Up for renewal in 2016, if Ireland doesn't have credit card style ones by then then I'll be renewing my UK one again. :)

Mine is always in my wallet as I use it for ID purposes.

If you don't live in the Uk, it's not advisable to renew your photocard as you have to state a UK address at which you reside in the UK. Using a friend or family members address is likely an RTA offence (s174). You're still licenced until 70 but you don't have a valid photocard.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Sorry to dig up a slightly old thread, but I have a question related to the new drivers license ...

Just like the OP, my divers license expires in December and I'd much rather waiting until January to renew it in order to get the new credit card style license. However, as my license will have expired for a few weeks before I renew it, is there any chance I will be required to resit the driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

cian_r wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up a slightly old thread, but I have a question related to the new drivers license ...

Just like the OP, my divers license expires in December and I'd much rather waiting until January to renew it in order to get the new credit card style license. However, as my license will have expired for a few weeks before I renew it, is there any chance I will be required to resit the driving test?

I don't believe you will have to resist a driving test, I think the limit could be 10 years since your licence expired :eek:. One thing to keep in mind though is that technically you will NOT be licenced to drive. If you meet a Garda that did not get what he wanted for Christmas or (hopefully not) you were in an accident things could get a bit messy.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Had to renew mine in July after 10 years. Mine spends its time in the sun visor too. Would love to have credit card sized one which would go in the wallet as with everything else. Would be useful as ID too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Can you not send off for the new credit card license even if the current paper license has not expired?

Can you not send off for the new credit card license even if the current paper license has not expired?

Yes you could, but the credit card driving licenses won't be available before mid January. Our problems are that our existing driving licenses expire shortly before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My licence expires in jan 2013 but I'm going renew it in December considering the licence issued to me will only be valid for 5yrs compared to the car/motorbike ones that will be 10yrs,Will also be interesting to see were the cards are going be made;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Mine expires three day before the new ones are introduced so I think I'll risk it for that short timeframe.

Interestingly though the 19th is a Saturday so presumably the 21st is the real day it comes into effect

This is the reply I got from Lor* in the RSA in answer to my questions. A very prompt and comprehensive reply. If only the Dept of Transport would put this info somewhere on their website. It seems the RSA have overall responsibility now for licensing and all the info can be found there, even though local councils issue the actual licenses. Maybe I'm just behind the times. I always thought the DoE had responsibility. Why driving licenses have to be issued by each local council and not centrally like passports is beyond me. Probably beyond this great little country also if you look at the student grant fiasco. That's for another thread.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Driving-Licence-Changes-January-2013/

Thank you for your email.

The Road Safety Strategy 2007-12 sets out a commitment for Ireland to introduce a plastic card driving licence, as set out in the EU Directive 2006/126/EC of 20th December 2006. The target date for the first issue of the plastic card driving licence is 19th January 2013. At the request of the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, the Road Safety Authority has agreed to take the lead in the implementation of the plastic card driver licence.

In answer to the questions you raised:

1.The New Plastic Card Licence is being phased in over a period of ten years. From the 19th of January only new licences and those being renewed will be produced in a credit card size, so all the old paper licences will be replaced by 2023.

The following may apply for a Plastic Card from the 19th January 2013:
    · Those who have passed their driving test and are applying for their first driver licence
    · Those who are renewing their learner permit/ driver licence on or after 19th January
    · Those who are replacing their learner permit/ driver licence on or after 19th January
    · Those who are exchanging a foreign driver licence for an Irish driver licence on or after 19th January.

2. You can only get the new Plastic Card licence when your current licence is due for renewal.
    3. Every licence issued from the 19th of January by all Councils will be in the new plastic card format.
    4. A new application form will be in circulation from the new year.
    5. No, the same information will be required except it will be on a new application form.

I hope this answers your questions, there is of course more detailed information on the introduction of the plastic card driving licence and other licencing changes that are also taking place in January 2013 on the RSA website http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/New-Driver-Licensing-Rules-from-January-2013/

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

2. You can only get the new Plastic Card licence when your current licence is due for renewal.
    3. Every licence issued from the 19th of January by all Councils will be in the new plastic card format.

So what does that really mean for those who erm... 'lose' their paper license in January?

It kind of contradicts itself slightly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

My license is due for renewal on January 20th, nice. :D

Maybe it'll discourage a lot of people from "losing" their licenses in January. Otherwise they'd be swamped by people wanting to exchange their licenses for convenience. Meanwhile poor souls like me whose licenses have expired are delayed by the backlog. Back off license-losers I say! It seems like they might let you lose your licenses from Sept onwards when the process changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

OSI wrote: »
    What's interesting here, is the lack of a mention of replacing lost licenses. Does that mean that if you apply for a replacement license and it's not up for renewal, you'll still get a paper one? Pretty bollocks if that's the case.

It states that those replacing either their leaner permit or full licence will get the new format licence,What I would like to know is will the likes of people who hold either a bus/truck category pay only half the price for licence considering it will be only valid for 5 years compared to 10 years for a car licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I shall just keep renewing my foreign licence and keep availing of the perks of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

new license for changing address ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

new license for changing address ?
    Naturally.

Advertisement