Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Naturally.

wasn't on the list there so was just checking.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Blazer wrote: »
    Do ye not just keep it in the car? :confused:
    Mine's been in there for the past 7 years and still looks like it was just printed.
    I've only ever removed it when I changed my car.

What about people who drive more than one car regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Think about the likes of bus&truck drivers who would be in different vehicles everyday, Like myself in a previous life we just carried it around with all the other licences we needed to carry out our work.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Think about the likes of bus&truck drivers who would be in different vehicles everyday, Like myself in a previous life we just carried it around with all the other licences we needed to carry out our work.

And we have to carry a seperate driver CPC card and seperate Digi tacho card.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Just passed my driving test on Wednesday. I haven't sent away for my licence yet and not sure whether to just wait for Jan 19th.

I really want a credit card type licence as I really don't want to be stuck with the old daggy type until 2023! When we were in Australia, people didn't believe my husband's license was genuine :-( and they are really cumbersome and ugly!

Not sure if I can hold on that long tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Will everyone get one even if our paper licence is good for a few years? Will we have to supply photos for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NO.

You have to have good reason to request one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I see we'll pay well for a licence from January onwards.

"The cost of driving licences is as follows:
    •One-year driving licence costs €5
    •Three-year driving licence costs €15
    •Ten-year driving licence costs €25

From 1 January 2013, the cost of driving licences is as follows:
    •One-year driving licence costs €25
    •Three-year driving licence costs €35
    •Ten-year driving licence costs €55 "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Will everyone get one even if our paper licence is good for a few years? Will we have to supply photos for it

Very good username; there will be no need to supply a photocard for your new photocard licence as any citizen who has logged onto the internet over the past 5 years has had their image taken without their knowledge to prepare for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Has anybody been able to get the application forms for the new licence yet.
    I will be leaving the country this weekend for a while and would like to apply for the new licence before I depart. My current licence expires on the 15th of this month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

jgbyr wrote: »
    Can anyone please explain why the differences in cost? It's the same hardware containing the same information. Only the expiration date is different. The production costs, including any staffing, should be the same. Only the database record maintained by the RSA (I presume) would be different.

P.S. I've got a headache at work, so if my brain isn't doing logic very well, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Can anyone please explain why the differences in cost? It's the same hardware containing the same information. Only the expiration date is different. The production costs, including any staffing, should be the same. Only the database record maintained by the RSA (I presume) would be different.

P.S. I've got a headache at work, so if my brain isn't doing logic very well, my apologies.

Increase in Taxes. Simple as that my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

mayotom wrote: »
    Increase in Taxes. Simple as that my friend
    That's what I thought, thanks.

I plan on replacing my pink paper one in around nine years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 adshialda

mayotom wrote: »
    Has anybody been able to get the application forms for the new licence yet.
    I will be leaving the country this weekend for a while and would like to apply for the new licence before I depart. My current licence expires on the 15th of this month

Hi hope this helps
    The driving licence form for the new card will be available to download from 12 th January from the NDLS website www.ndls.ie
    But you can't apply before the 19 Jan or you will receive the old paper one

Regards
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Marcusm wrote: »
    Very good username; there will be no need to supply a photocard for your new photocard licence as any citizen who has logged onto the internet over the past 5 years has had their image taken without their knowledge to prepare for this project.

How exactly is your image taken by logging onto the internet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

swarlb wrote: »

How exactly is your image taken by logging onto the internet ?

You might need to turn on your sarcasm detector.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

adshialda wrote: »
    Hi hope this helps
    The driving licence form for the new card will be available to download from 12 th January from the NDLS website www.ndls.ie
    But you can't apply before the 19 Jan or you will receive the old paper one

Regards
    Alan
    you can apply anytime after the 12th and you will receive the new card one as no licenses are being issued during the transition period(12-19th Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

josip wrote: »
    The following may apply for a Plastic Card from the 19th January 2013:
    · Those who have passed their driving test and are applying for their first driver licence
    · Those who are renewing their learner permit/ driver licence on or after 19th January
    · Those who are replacing their learner permit/ driver licence on or after 19th January
    · Those who are exchanging a foreign driver licence for an Irish driver licence on or after 19th January.

Would replacing the driving licence not cover those lost or stolen?

I am going to try it anyway because I drive both mine and my girlfriends car and carrying the license is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

if they are going to upgrade this type of thing... its great and handy and the whole lot....

but now its €55 for a licence ....

it's not fair. You should be able to choose €25 for the pink slip or €55 for the credit card style.

better yet, it should still be €25 for the cc style. what a rip off.

With the cost of driving these days.... lessons, pre-test, driving test, provisional, nct, tax, insurance and juice......

IT SHOULD BE FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Can you get the new style if you lose your old one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

jgbyr wrote: »
    I see we'll pay well for a licence from January onwards.

"The cost of driving licences is as follows:
    •One-year driving licence costs €5
    •Three-year driving licence costs €15
    •Ten-year driving licence costs €25

That's not the whole story.

C and D licences only have a life of five years but cost €55 to renew.
    That's an increase of 440% over the 'old' price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Did anyone hear that the photo for the new one is to be done at approved offices. Chemist photos won't be used anymore. There will be one office per county. Heard this from Guy getting interviewed on Matt Cooper Friday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

greenman09 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear that the photo for the new one is to be done at approved offices. Chemist photos won't be used anymore. There will be one office per county. Heard this from Guy getting interviewed on Matt Cooper Friday.

Yes from September this is coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Sent off my application for a replacement licence today on the new form. Lets see what happens.

Garda station was very confused by the new forms.

Sent off my application for a replacement licence today on the new form. Lets see what happens.

Garda station was very confused by the new forms.

Have you got the new one back yet?
    Did you download the form or get it from a motor tax office. I need to get mine replaced.

Downloaded the form off the net and sent off.

Council sent it back saying they need original passport. Did that on Tuesday. Still waiting.

I recommend you do not post your application.

Downloaded the form off the net and sent off.

Council sent it back saying they need original passport. Did that on Tuesday. Still waiting.

I recommend you do not post your application.

Do you mean they need the original licence(not passport). Also the online form says that you don't need to get the Guards to sign the form if you have the damaged licence to return.
    If thats the case why did they ask you for it.

Nope. They wanted the old licence and passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nope. They wanted the old licence and passport.

Is that standard? I'd agree with you about not trusting both ID documents to the post. Seems bizarre that they need driving licence (with photo ID?) and passport. Presume that they won't always want that or the new offices from September will check on the spot and return.

• Advertisement

I did ask them and they said it is now policy to ask for other another form of ID until the function is transferred away to the new crowd in September.

Advertisement