Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I did ask them and they said it is now policy to ask for other another form of ID until the function is transferred away to the new crowd in September.

That's severe.
    They should update the application form to indicate this.
    I'm in Cork & their website states they no longer process applications over the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

jgbyr wrote: »
    That's severe.
    They should update the application form to indicate this.
    I'm in Cork & their website states they no longer process applications over the counter.
    They will take applications over the counter. You then have to wait up to 2 weeks to get the licence back.

They will take applications over the counter. You then have to wait up to 2 weeks to get the licence back.

Ok,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So they require you to send in a passport as well what a load of b*ll*x when I had to apply for the drivers digi card all we needed to send in was the printed application form and a photo copy of your drivers licence,Even if you are to post in your old licence what prove would you have that you sent it in if stopped by the Gardai?
    Me thinks the RSA have made a complete& utter balls of this new process there was nothing wrong with keeping the application process with the motor tax office,Instead they duplicate the process by having these new offices/shops to do it also in the UK when renewing your licence every 10 years you just send in a passport size photo and the cost of renewing is only £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

For anyone wondering about waiting times for new licenses, I applied for a replacement license last monday (14th) and it arrived this tuesday so it doesnt take the full 2 weeks. I applied in the motor tax office rather than by post which may speed up the process

• Advertisement

Got it this morning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Got it this morning.

Knew your luck would change ;)

p.s. My new driving license arrived this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Sorry if it has been asked before but I am not clear on this.

Can I apply for a new licence even though my current paper licence is still valid?

If there is no legitimate way of upgrading, can I declare it as "lost" in order to be issued with a new card licence?

Thanks

ION08 wrote: »
    Sorry if it has been asked before but I am not clear on this.

Can I apply for a new licence even though my current paper licence is still valid?

If there is no legitimate way of upgrading, can I declare it as "lost" in order to be issued with a new card licence?

Thanks

If its lost you just need to get a declaration signed and stamped by the gardai. Costs 25 for replacement licence

25? Nope it is 35 euro now. Passport and/or Birth cert is also required.

• Advertisement

I also notice that W is not being shown as valid on my new licence but they gave me AM.

Is a test finally needed to have W these days?

25? Nope it is 35 euro now. Passport and/or Birth cert is also required.

Definitely payed 25 for a replacement last week although looking online it seems it should be 35.
    Regarding the W, I still have it on the new licence though it only says B on the front, has both on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2 borys

ceegee wrote: »
    Definitely payed 25 for a replacement last week although looking online it seems it should be 35.
    Regarding the W, I still have it on the new licence though it only says B on the front, has both on the back

28hfko5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I just read this on the RSA website:

Free-in-lieu licence

Free-in-lieu licences are issued (provided your driving licence is current) in the following cases:

Change of name/address

yet elsewhere on the site it says its €35 to do this :rolleyes: anyone know which is correct?

I emailed the RSA about the replacement cost. They said it's €35.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jgbyr wrote: »
    I emailed the RSA about the replacement cost. They said it's €35.

I sent mine to ballymun tax office on Thursday for a change of address. Talking to the girl, she told me to send it in and I'll get one of the ne cards for free.

kceire wrote: »
    I sent mine to ballymun tax office on Thursday for a change of address. Talking to the girl, she told me to send it in and I'll get one of the ne cards for free.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Lost-or-stolen-license/

Duplicate Licence/Learner Permit

If your licence/learner permit is current but has been lost or stolen you may apply to your Motor Taxation Office for a duplicate by completing the relevant form (D 401) or (D201). A duplicate licence is issued to replace a valid licence that has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced. The duplicate will be a copy of the original licence/permit and will be valid for the same period. Your application should include: Free-in-lieu licence

Free-in-lieu licences are issued (provided your driving licence is current) in the following cases:
    • Change of name/address
    • Removal of endorsement (on expiry of three-year endorsement period)
    • If an error has been made in the issue of the licence (eg, incorrect date of birth)
    • Additional category is being added
    In all cases you must apply to your local Motor Taxation Office with a completed application form, two passport photographs (signed on reverse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just wondered if anyone else has this problem. Now I know that with a new system there will be teething problems but this is taking the p1ss!

My husband applied for the new licence 22nd Jan in person at the Cork office in Model Farm Road. At the time he applied, he was told there would be a two week wait. I always felt this was a bit optimistic. Fast forward to this week, and we've now been told it'll be a MONTH!!!:eek:

Meanwhile, he has neither licence nor permit, only a receipt from the Licence Office saying that he has indeed applied for the licence.

Spoke to the office again this morning. They don't have a clue about ANYTHING!!

Asked if he would be OK to drive whilst waiting for the new licence - they don't know. Ask the Gards.

There is also an issue with our insurance. They refuse to issue the disc until they see the licence, which of course we don't have. Car has insurance though. Now have to go back to the insurance and kick up a stink as we're in danger of getting a pull and possible fine for failure to display. The Motor tax office say this is nothing to do with them - ask the insurance. Nobody wants to take responsibility for ANYTHING!

What an almighty fcuk up this has been. You could smell this coming...

It takes six weeks to get a passport here. And at least a month for a driving licence. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the new photo centres come in. I shudder to think.

Just to compare - I renewed both passport and driving licence in the UK (before I moved here). Got back both within a week.

Rant over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm waiting 8 days now.

Just been on to the insurance. They will now send the disc...

• Advertisement

I've now got a bit more info if anyone's in the same boat and interested...

Got on to the Gards. They say to get a letter from the Tax Office confirming that a licence has been applied for but not yet received due to processing delays. Once the letter is received, then take that and the receipt down to the Gards for them to stamp it. That should then cover you to drive.

Hope this helps someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

5 working days is what it took me to get mine 2 weeks ago.

Its advisable to apply in advance of your licence running out incase your local office has delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

6 weeks waiting time for licence is not necessarily a major delay.
    I would call it improvement.

Last summer I was told it takes 10 weeks for licence to be issued by Mayo county council.
    As 10 weeks without licence is a big no-no for me (i just need it for work), I had to cheat and break the law to obtain a licence which I'm entitled to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Took mine maybe 4 days, possibly 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I was told the receipt and a form of ID e.g passport would be sufficient for the gards as they should be aware of the delays,that was in ballymun tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

triple-M wrote: »
    I was told the receipt and a form of ID e.g passport would be sufficient for the gards as they should be aware of the delays,that was in ballymun tax office

I was told by Mayo co. co. that receipt on it's own is sufficient for gards.
    Anyway - as with OP's example it isn't sufficient for insurance purposes.
    It also completely isn't sufficient in case someone wants to rent a car or drive abroad, not even mentioning both at the same time ;)
    Also in case when someone doesn't hold a passport, then without valid licence it's impossible to NCT a car.

Generally system is completely flawed.
    Licence is needed for many things, and there shouldn't be situation where person must stay without licence for extended period of time.

Ideally it should work like in many other countries, where if your new licence is ready, you just give a quick visit to the office to drop you old licence and pick up a new one.
    That way you don't need to stay without your licence at all.
    I can't understand why this can't be done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Applied for my renewal 14 days ago now (Ballymun Tax Office). Told me it would take 10 working days. They lied:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'm waiting three weeks now.

If all the fúck bags hadn't pretended to loose their license :rolleyes: then we'd all have are renewed or new ones now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Six weeks for a passport? I got mine in ten days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Stheno wrote: »
    Six weeks for a passport? I got mine in ten days?

Advertisement