Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsubscribing times

Options
  • 08-02-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Can anyone enlighten me as to how quickly an opt out /unsubscribe should take from text marketing?
    I recently got a new phone in a well known phone distributors, and I'm pretty sure I ticked the 'do not send anything' (however it was phrased)on the contract.
    Leaving that aside, I've received a few unwanted texts of their offers and instead of a stop option on the message (which I though was the norm) there was a number to ring and it took 10 mins to get told that it may take up to 3 weeks to get my number removed off their marketing lists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

paulbok wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me as to how quickly an opt out /unsubscribe should take from text marketing?
    I recently got a new phone in a well known phone distributors, and I'm pretty sure I ticked the 'do not send anything' (however it was phrased)on the contract.
    Leaving that aside, I've received a few unwanted texts of their offers and instead of a stop option on the message (which I though was the norm) there was a number to ring and it took 10 mins to get told that it may take up to 3 weeks to get my number removed off their marketing lists.
    Were the texts from a mobile number or from a 5 digit short code like 50XXX? if they are from the former then you should contact Comreg as well as the data protection commissioner as they should not have your number on their database, but it is probably there from a former owner of your number. if it is the latter you should contact Comreg as those short codes must have an unsub option where you can simply reply with Stop or send a free text to an unsubscribe number which must be shown in the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dee obrien

Hi there - Correct Direct Mail practice be it e-mail or texting is to have an unsubscribe opt out option - this should be almost immediate. Once you have done this you should not receive further contact. Ideally the company should ask for your permission first but once they have done business with you in the past 12 months they do not have to. If you get really frustrated the Data Commissioners office are very helpful

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Guide_to_dealing_with_Unsolicited_SMS_messages/406.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

It came in as the company name rather than a number.

I do understand the 12 months rule about contacting you, but I thought that was the point of the 'tick here if you do/do not want us to contact you again with products etc'.:mad:

I'll be checking the sales documentation about that tick before getting on to the DPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

paulbok wrote: »
    It came in as the company name rather than a number.

I do understand the 12 months rule about contacting you, but I thought that was the point of the 'tick here if you do/do not want us to contact you again with products etc'.:mad:

I'll be checking the sales documentation about that tick before getting on to the DPC.
    Is it Meteor? if it is then send a message to 50010 with the word Stop and they will update your account immediately

Other mobile providers should have similar opt out numbers for their marketing texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Nope, highstreet shop that caters for all carriers.

No unsubscribe by text option.
    has a number to ring to unsubscribe that puts you through to their main options board. No unsubscribe option there so was 10 mins on the call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement