Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of commuter ticket from Balbriggan

Options
  • 08-02-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all. I know that this possibly should be in the Commuting and Transport forum but the thread would probably get derailed quickly by some who inhabit there with vested interests or chips on shoulders.

Starting a new job next week and I plan on using the 101 Bus Eireann service daily to commute to the city. Would not plan on using the train so I would be looking to get a Commuter Ticket to cover the travel (tax back etc). Which option is the right one for me as the web sites are a little confusing. Perhaps someone here has it sussed as when I phoned Bus Eireann they quoted €164 per month:eek:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Yeah it is €164 per month, but that is before the taxsaver is applied. If you are going to regularly use the service, then you definitely need to get the taxsaver sorted. It will save you €50 a month on the 20% tax bracket.

see here http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Calculator/Bus-Eireann-Point-to-Point/

I have to say, I find the 101X service great. Unfortunately, the monthly ticket is no good to me as I have to drive at least 2 days each week, sometimes more.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Hi Clunked. I get the train, so can't say how much 101 is, however there is a bus service from Millfield to City which I hear is better value

http://www.kbrbuses.com/html/millfield.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

only better value if you don't use the taxsaver sheme. On taxsaver a months worth of travel is €113, the KBR bus is €6 return, so a month would average at €130 a month.

If you only use it the odd time, then the KBR would be more cost efficient, but it doesn't go over the south city at all, whereas the 101X goes up as far as Baggot Street. so if you work in south city centre the 101X or the train is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Thanks folks for your replies. All sorted!!

Advertisement