Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rayman developer angry over legends delay

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

its being going around on different sites that the reasoning for rayman delay is due to ms policy on you are not allowed to release a game to one system then on the xbox 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have to admit, I find it funny that this thread is about a delay of a finished game while the Aliens thread is partially about not delaying a game so they could finish it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

its being going around on different sites that the reasoning for rayman delay is due to ms policy on you are not allowed to release a game to one system then on the xbox 360
    That's not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hmm, that could be true also. Their Content Submission and Release Policy does state...
    Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available.

If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360

So, if the game was originally targeted at the Wii-U and then Ubisoft changed it's mind and moved to a multi-platform release, then that could explain the delay. If this was the case though, it does seems odd that Ubisoft would be blind sided by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Virtua Fighter 5 would contradict this; there was a 7 month gap between its Feb '07 PS3 release, and its Oct '07 360 appearance.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Virtua Fighter 5 would contradict this; there was a 7 month gap between its Feb '07 PS3 release, and its Oct '07 360 appearance.
    The 360 release was the superior version though, taking advantage of the Version C revision of the arcade game, online functionality in particular. That would have gotten around the above restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

gizmo wrote: »
    The 360 release was the superior version though, taking advantage of the Version C revision of the arcade game, online functionality in particular. That would have gotten around the above restriction.

Hmm, I'm just reading on how strict the policy is; cunning bit of clause on Microsoft's part.

Although, to be a pedantic arse, VF5: Final Showdown was released on the PS3 before it came to the 360..................by around a day.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm just reading on how strict the policy is; cunning bit of clause on Microsoft's part.

Although, to be a pedantic arse, VF5: Final Showdown was released on the PS3 before it came to the 360..................by around a day.
    That's probably more to do with Wednesday being the day XBLA is updated with new titles. Either way, I'd imagine there'd be a slight bit of leeway in instances such as these. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Again I think a lot of it is outrage over nothing (except for maybe the developers who are justified in their disappointment over unnecessary crunch). It's clear there's nothing more sinister than simple old commercial motivations - countless games and films have fallen victim to the same capitalist machinations. The designers weren't happy, but to their credit are making the most out of the situation by adding significant new content to the game, and giving out a (by the sounds of it) rather meaty portion of it for free months before the full release. It's not the ideal situation, but Ancel and co. are seemingly doing their best to ensure the final game is better and available to a wider group of people as a result of Ubisoft's seeming assumption that the WiiU alone couldn't justify the expense of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Again I think a lot of it is outrage over nothing (except for maybe the developers who are justified in their disappointment over unnecessary crunch). It's clear there's nothing more sinister than simple old commercial motivations - countless games and films have fallen victim to the same capitalist machinations. The designers weren't happy, but to their credit are making the most out of the situation by adding significant new content to the game, and giving out a (by the sounds of it) rather meaty portion of it for free months before the full release. It's not the ideal situation, but Ancel and co. are seemingly doing their best to ensure the final game is better and available to a wider group of people as a result of Ubisoft's seeming assumption that the WiiU alone couldn't justify the expense of release.

Exactly. Ubi got cold feet about an exclusive for a console with an install base of 3m pure and simple. This is unfortunately what needs to happen for Rayman to be successful again. As for the "just release it now on Wii U and multiplat later" argument. That's totally at odds with the reality of how a marketing push works. They needed to push it back to consolidate there effort, not split it in two.

Either way, the game will come out and be fantastic, and this will be forgotten next year. There biggest crime is getting hopes up. It's ****ty, but not corporate evil-doing are anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Since for the most part games are the only ones that split their games On multiple platform and offer exclusivity that you never really see with movies, music or books its easy to see as gamers being the worst or put under negative light.

I highly doubt any of the negative backlash ubisoft are recieving by a certain group of people will not impact them and any sort of boycott wont last when the game comes out.

I think the game getting delayed wouldnt see as much as an outcry as it has if pikmin 3 actually didnt get delayed. People are just waiting for games to play on their new shiny wii u nothing more.

Not as bad as the bayonetta 2 incident by any stretch where people wanted platnium to die , and again those people probably end up buying metal gear revengence.

I am glad rayman is on all platforms but i think it was handling was abit of a mess.

Advertisement