Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook.com as replacement for Google Apps for Domains

• 08-02-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at setting up new customers on Outlook.com since Google Apps for Domains free version went away.

Anyone using it? Any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Used it myself about a year ago...Maybe more. So it's probably changed since then.

I think it suits as a replacement just fine. With most business-y people using the outlook client, or some variant with a similar gui, then outlook.com is almost the same, if not almost identical, with regard to look and feel.

So yeah, I guess it's an adequate replacement. Some people may feel even more at home with it.

If g apps was still free however, would I use it? God no :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

KonFusion wrote: »
    Used it myself about a year ago...Maybe more. So it's probably changed since then.
    Somewhat :)

954B73732D532DD8EBDC99533289D.jpg
    facebook-chat-settings.jpg
    outlook-screenshot-01.png

Well disregard everything I just said :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I tried it out before Christmas and a few days into testing it lost one of my folders. It wasn't in any deleted items or recoverable using the undo delete option. Just gone. I was using it with Outlook 2010 and my android phone.

I tried the support to see if they could help but they was so slow that the emails were probably purged from their servers by then.

Just to follow up on this, how did it go down using outlook?

Looking for a (free) google apps alternative at the moment. Suggestions appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You can get 5 mailboxes for free with 5GB per mailbox with Zoho Mail. I set it up for my own domain and I'm very happy so far.

https://www.zoho.com/mail/zohomail-pricing.html

There's also a referrals program to get bonus users, I haven't looked into it yet though.

Would you reccommend it over outlook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

It's probably one of those it depends kind of things. I use Outlook.com for most online services and Zoho for my own domain.

For example, you get POP and Exchange syncing with Outlook, and POP and IMAP with Zoho. The interface with Zoho is a little more professional looking imho, and you can change the organisation logo at the top-left of the screen, unlike Outlook. You can also do things like create a portal URL, although I haven't tried that yet. You can find out how to do it here.

I don't use any of the note-taking/calendar/online office-suite etc functionality, so I wouldn't be able to compare stuff like that. I haven't had trouble with the email side of things, certainly. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer.

Thanks. Appreciated :)

It's for my own domain/personal email address.

So changing the logo etc doesn't bother me. I'll be using it strictly for email. Work account uses G-apps; so I use that for calander, drive, notes etc.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this, how did it go down using outlook?

It didn't go down at all. I couldn't set it up at the time because domains.live.com site was requesting proof of domain ownership through a DNS TXT record, but when I set that up it didn't recognise it as setup - it was like it hadn't propagated, but this was over 72 hours later and still no signs of having verified it. I tried the support route but it wasn't happening, so we went with Google Apps in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

How are google aps working for you?

Is there a fee per client that receives te email ?

Thanks

Well, ironically, it looks like someone setup the client with Google Apps 4 years ago, which he either didn't know or had forgotten. So it's set up for free!

Advertisement