Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi site Clonsilla road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is that announcement not a bit premature? According to the Fingal planning section, a new planning application only went in on July 1st from Aldi to build on that site. Observations can be made until August 6th and thereafter the council will make a decision. The fact it has been rejected twice before for the same site further suggests they should hold off on these sorts of announcements until the permission is signed and sealed!

Planning reference below:

FW19A/0112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

2 more years before it (might) open?

I hate D15 - they build tons of new apartments and houses, but no services/amenities whatsoever (except schools) since "Blanch Centre is nearby". The traffic is terrible already, if some of the Blanch Centre traffic goes somewhere else instead it's not the end of the world. I would absolutely love an Aldi and a Lidl in Clonsilla, but someone will complain again and nothing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Polar101 wrote: »
    2 more years before it (might) open?

I hate D15 - they build tons of new apartments and houses, but no services/amenities whatsoever (except schools) since "Blanch Centre is nearby". The traffic is terrible already, if some of the Blanch Centre traffic goes somewhere else instead it's not the end of the world. I would absolutely love an Aldi and a Lidl in Clonsilla, but someone will complain again and nothing happens.

Yes agree, build anything but endless apartments, honestly who wants to buy an apartment so far from the city centre, maybe its all social.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Yes agree, build anything but endless apartments, honestly who wants to buy an apartment so far from the city centre, maybe its all social.

Some people just want to rent and an apartment rather than a house suits their needs. Some buyers have a preference for that too (particularly single people, retirees or those who do not have/want kids and/or won't want to maintain gardens, multiple bedrooms etc).

If you are someone working in the vast amount of companies in D15 (Ballycoolin, Damastown etc) you might want to rent for a few years rather than committing to a property purchase if you're not certain about wanting to work/live in the area indefinitely. An apartment may be preferential in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also, I haven't really seen any of the other local Lidl/Aldi shops causing a lot of traffic issues. I know Clonsilla Road is problematic, but maybe the supermarket won't have that much effect? Not everyone drives anyway and if you have local shops, then you don't need to drive to the Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Polar101 wrote: »
    Also, I haven't really seen any of the other local Lidl/Aldi shops causing a lot of traffic issues. I know Clonsilla Road is problematic, but maybe the supermarket won't have that much effect? Not everyone drives anyway and if you have local shops, then you don't need to drive to the Centre.

What about Castleknock village, was always a disaster but is effectively a no go area now with extra traffic light sequences and traffic backed up in all directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Solution is to drive less.

Agreed - but its not our job to educate the shops customers.

The last plan they submitted had a turning lane - so cars from Train station waiting to turn across the oncoming traffic into the site didnt block up the Clonsilla road - this is absent from this new plan.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Solution is to drive less. Too many local people jumping into cars to go to local shops that are realistically within walking distance.

Grand if you're just going down for a pint of milk and a sliced pan. A lot less practical if you're doing the weekly shop.

The off-licence they propose on the planning - will that be separate entrance - accessible late when the supermarket is closed?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

People used to manage doing weekly shops without the car. People still manage. The idea that you have to everything by car should change.
    Can you tell when was this?
    I'm around since the early 1960's and recall the trips by car for the weekly shop to Powers in Phibsborough (now Tesco's). I also recall my Mother mentioning the saving she made by doing this instead of having to go to the local Shops.
    The simple reason why people shop in Supermarkets is it convenient, offers a wider choice and it's CHEAPER!
    Lidl and Aldi have reintroduced the latest version of the local shop and I welcome it. The thoughts of doing the shopping at Dunne's in the Centre, no, no, no way Jose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ozmo wrote: »
    The off-licence they propose on the planning - will that be separate entrance - accessible late when the supermarket is closed?

Nah.
    Here's a fun tid bit: All alcohol aisles in Aldi are to be the most furthest away from their entrance. Apart of the agreement to sell alcohol. Besides, it's opening hours cover to 10:30am to 10pm law. With the exception of an early close on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Irishnidge

Why are some so against Aldi getting planning permission, we have no shops in the area apart from a Spar where you cant get into due the shambolic parking and the Applegreen Garage.

The excuses like “Apartments ruining the village” is a load of crap it’s not the 1950’s the village has nothing for the amount of people in the area get we need shops, cafés, a better train service and a bus that doesn’t go all the way around Blanch to get to work.

I, for one welcome the new amenities coming to the area

It's not Aldi that people have a problem with, it's the impact an Aldi on that particular site will have on already crap traffic.

They have traffic management in the area and completed the surveys in both areas we have the Ongar Road if people are so concerned the are needs to change

They can have all the traffic management they want, but it's not going to make a blind bit of difference when the level crossing is down, traffic is backed up the length of Clonsilla Road and there's extra traffic going in and out of a supermarket/apartment development. The only way that site would be suitable is if they somehow were able to widen the road and also build a flyover across the train tracks.

Irishnidge wrote: »
    I, for one welcome the new amenities coming to the area

Have a quick read through the Strategic Plan for Clonsilla Village published by Fingal - thats what could and should be done with the space.

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/studies-and-reports/urban-and-village-plans/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Have a quick read through the Strategic Plan for Clonsilla Village published by Fingal - thats what could and should be done with the space.

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/studies-and-reports/urban-and-village-plans/

Couldn't agree more!
    Nobody is against an Aldi (or very few are at least), but such an important site deserves more than a supermarket and a few apartment blocks.
    The site has so much potential and if Aldi respected the Stretegic Development Plan, they'd have their supermarket alongside a new village core years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Zaph wrote: »
    They can have all the traffic management they want, but it's not going to make a blind bit of difference when the level crossing is down, traffic is backed up the length of Clonsilla Road and there's extra traffic going in and out of a supermarket/apartment development. The only way that site would be suitable is if they somehow were able to widen the road and also build a flyover across the train tracks.

I'd say more people in Blanch will move towards cycling like the rest of Dublin. This will help ease congestion. Have you tried it?

I'd say more people in Blanch will move towards cycling like the rest of Dublin. This will help ease congestion. Have you tried it?

No, and I have no interest in cycling. If I want to go somewhere I'll either use public transport, as I do every day commuting to work, or I'll drive, whichever is most appropriate to my needs at the time.

I cycled the last year apart from Winter its fine going in 40 mins coming home is all uphill around 50 mins legs are sore by the end of the week but lovely going through the park on a morning like today.

The trains are going to be a nightmare with all the new houses and apts being built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Aldi going in the car park of the red entrance construction has already begun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Aldi going in the car park of the red entrance construction has already begun

And where is the red carpark going? Scrapped.

Phil.x wrote: »
    And where is the red carpark going? Scrapped.

Yeah- It was akward anyway never managed to get a parking space there.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Planning permission refused for Aldi Clonsilla road

Just down the road from the Aldi site - There was a big crash last night in Clonsilla village - don't know if worth a separate thread - but the historic cottage on the corner had the front porch and door of the house demolished by a car that swerved to avoid another and ran into the house.
    No-one hurt. House damaged.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just down the road from the Aldi site - There was a big crash last night in Clonsilla village - don't know if worth a separate thread - but the historic cottage on the corner had the front porch and door of the house demolished by a car that swerved to avoid another and ran into the house.

Junction was always a dangerous one. The setup with the shops and cars coming out often when pedestrian lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

EC-eoCCXYAMl5Cv.jpg
    https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1166325270107840513

fletch wrote: »

Glad noone hurt - hope we wont loose that cottage now as its probably the oldest one left in the village (its on the 1815 maps so at least that old).

“Roll it back”

chris85 wrote: »
    Junction was always a dangerous one. The setup with the shops and cars coming out often when pedestrian lights on.

Yes, a dangerous junction. Thank God no pedestrian was walking along that stretch at that very moment. Is that cottage occupied - hope it can get repaired quickly?

I always wonder about that junction if you're coming out of the Spar/Post office as you've no official green light. I usually try and exit by the Romayo's exit further up but sometimes you have idiots blocking the exit as if it's a parking space. I despise the whole parking arrangement in that tiny carpark and generally avoid except if I get a really bad craving for the chipper but sometimes you drive up and the entire parking area is full with car queues backing out onto the road....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a difficult spot to get in and out of at times alright. I read elsewhere that the house is occupied by a couple who have lived there for a good number of years. Thankfully no one was hurt, I'm sure they got some shock though.

Advertisement