Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[QUESTION] Can anyone recommend a fun upskilling project?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am a couple of years out of collage and have been working as a java developer for both of those.
    I am looking for some fun project that will hold my attention and allow me to learn some other languages(c++ or python are the main two of interest to me). I have tried making a game in the past but had no specific goal so it fizzeled out quickly.
    It doesn't have to be anything new/innovative, I am purely looking for something to mess with in my spare time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Build on your java experience and do Android. Its free, is a toolchain you know and by definition the projects are smaller than other possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Are you interested in satellite TV? Try developing a plugin for an Enigma2 STB - there's a world of possibilities there - core stuff is C++ with plugins scripted in Python.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Develop a classifieds website CMS, then head over to the business ideas section of boards, and sit in wait for the daily poster that believes his dreams are going to come true by setting up a classifieds website, then drop them a pm promoting your CMS.

You'll be a millionare! :pac:

Alternatively I'd go the android route since you've already got the java. In college I remember I'd ask my friends what app would make their life easier (usually it was the class timetable available as an app). But maybe ask your friends. Something personal to you will be more fun than something more obscure (I presume).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Android, Scala or Jython would be good. What you want to build with any of these is up to you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Android alright.
    Or just browse through GitHub and find an open source project that interests you, and dive in and start working on some of the issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Think I might go for the android idea. Cheers for the advice

Advertisement