Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If i change HD does my ip address change?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi my old hard drive is giving problems and Im having problems logging into my online banking becuase its saying im logging in from a different ip address. Does my ip address change if i switch hard drives or will it stay the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Hi, I presume if you mean logging in from hard drive, you mean pc?

Typically your IP address is everchanging anyway and is assigned to your router and not your PC. Or at the least the one you browse the web with.

Most if not all online banking is not dependent on your IP address and typically you should be able to connect from anywhere.

I would suggest you contact your bank to verifiy this, and more importantly I would have you pc checked for spyware, malware or a virus.

Sounds a bit iffy to me! :-)
    clearodara wrote: »
    Hi my old hard drive is giving problems and Im having problems logging into my online banking becuase its saying im logging in from a different ip address. Does my ip address change if i switch hard drives or will it stay the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

depending on your setup, rebooting your computer might change your IP address.
    By itself, your local hard drive shouldn't have any impact on this.
    But if you re-install your OS, you'll have to reboot, and may get a new address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Your hard drive has nothing to do with your IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Your IP address is determined by your ISP and the IP address that your bank would see would be your router/cable modems IP address.

I'm with UPC and keep the UPC cable modem on constantly, which pretty much gives me a static IP address.

But on the occasions where I know I'm going away for a few days, I've turned off the cable modem and the IP address "lease" has expired.
    Typically that might be 24 hours.
    So when I turn it on again, it is given a new IP address by ISP ( UPC ) in this case.

So I'd focus on your cable modem/router, not your PC for IP address changes.

Advertisement