Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 5k 23 Feb 2013

Options
  • 08-02-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

The Operation Transformation 5k Fun Run is back! this year there will be two events; one in the Phoenix Park in Dublin and one in Cork City. Both events will take place on Saturday February 23rd.

So who else is doing it?

It will be the girlfriends first fun run, I started last year, done a few 5km and 10km races...

I know 5km wont set this place alight, but, hey, got start some-ware...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Can anyone tell me what time this race starts at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

npresto wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what time this race starts at?
    It was 10 am last year so probably the same this year (the Dublin one in the Phoenix Park).
    Good luck. It was a great race last year! Make sure to enter early as it "sold" out very quickly last year and there were a lot of disappointed folks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I know 5km wont set this place alight, but, hey, got start some-ware...

Not true!! There's lots of marathon talk on this forum (marathon runners are an obsessive bunch:p) but there are also plenty folks who race all distances. It's all about pushing yourself hard and trying to improve - the distance shouldn't be important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Ososlo wrote: »
    It was 10 am last year so probably the same this year (the Dublin one in the Phoenix Park).
    Good luck. It was a great race last year! Make sure to enter early as it "sold" out very quickly last year and there were a lot of disappointed folks:)

It's already fully-booked! The Dublin event got 5000 entries on the evening registration opened, the Cork one filled up a day or two after.

I'll be at the one in Dublin. Looking forward to it - I'm finishing the Couch to 5k programme this week so it's perfect timing.

vitani wrote: »
    It's already fully-booked! The Dublin event got 5000 entries on the evening registration opened, the Cork one filled up a day or two after.

I'll be at the one in Dublin. Looking forward to it - I'm finishing the Couch to 5k programme this week so it's perfect timing.

Wow! Quicker than last year then! I thought with the advent of Parkrun it wouldn't be as popular this year but I guess it reflects the popularity of the tv show. Great to see it!
    I did it last year when I had just finished C25k and absolutely loved it! There was a great variety of abilities and lots of comaraderie. They included a hill or two last year but nothing too taxing.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on:)

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Wow! Quicker than last year then! I thought with the advent of Parkrun it wouldn't be as popular this year but I guess it reflects the popularity of the tv show. Great to see it!
    I did it last year when I had just finished C25k and absolutely loved it! There was a great variety of abilities and lots of comaraderie. They included a hill or two last year but nothing too taxing.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on:)

Thanks - will do! There's a beast of a bridge near me which I've started to include in my runs so hopefully I won't be too taken aback by any hills.

Was shocked by how quickly it filled up, but yeah, it's great to see. It seems like the perfect first-time event.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

The GF and myself will be running it next week Sat...

does anybody know any more info, we registered, got confirmation email, and that is if so far ???

The GF and myself will be running it next week Sat...

does anybody know any more info, we registered, got confirmation email, and that is if so far ???

I think we get race numbers and the rest of the details in the post, if not this week then next.

Hope they send out email or general info ASAP this week...

as the run is Saturday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Does anyone know what time the race is due to start at on Saturday?

it states 10am on the website

For those of you who are registered, all the relevant information you need will reach you by post before race day.

http://www.rte.ie/ot/news-and-events/events/5k-run/

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

This is going to be my third year doing this 5k run. I find it a really enjoyable morning run and there's a real good vibe at both the starting and finishing line. Great sense of comradary and everyone urges each other. Last year I ran pretty much the whole thing so I was delighted. My aim this year now is to get in under the half hour mark.

I would say numbers and info will be posted out to everyone today/tomorrow and we'll receive them about midweek.

Its definitely at great starter race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Got mine today....no timing chip though?

Got mine today....no timing chip though?

i don't think they used chipped timing last year. You'll have to wear a stopwatch to get your time. I think there was a clock at the finish last year. Best of luck.

Got the envelope last night

there will be 3 starts , 5 min apart...

The GF and my numbers are like 2500 apart, even though we signed up at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Anyone know the route, I'm not very familiar with it. Is it very hilly or anything? I haven't run a full 5k since early Dec and a bit worried hills might throw me.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Anyone know the route, I'm not very familiar with it. Is it very hilly or anything? I haven't run a full 5k since early Dec and a bit worried hills might throw me.

http://www.endomondo.com/routes/157910020

It's very similar to that.

I think the last stretch is uphill, but I'm sure you'll be fine. The momentum of the race will keep you going!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

Maybe Im not too good at reading maps, but got my pack in the post and cant really see where the start line is. Is it near the main gates of the Phoenix Park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

katie21 wrote: »
    Maybe Im not too good at reading maps, but got my pack in the post and cant really see where the start line is. Is it near the main gates of the Phoenix Park?

It's on chesterfield avenue which is the main road through the park. Start line is about 1 - 1.5 miles from the gate I reckon.

Same course as Aware or Movember, for people who ever ran those. For others, the first couple of Ks are fairly easy, till you get to the bottom of the Furry Glen, then there's a steep hill as you turn away from the lake, followed by a sharp left onto a long steady drag to about the 4k mark. The long straight to the end is fairly flat. Best of luck to all taking part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Can anyone tell me if a 12 year old can do the run & if they need a number?? Cant find info anywhere!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a 12 year old can do the run & if they need a number?? Cant find info anywhere!

Don't think there's an age limit but everyone participating needs a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

vitani wrote: »

Don't think there's an age limit but everyone participating needs a number.

Thanks I though I read somewhere there was an age limit but I must be dreaming! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I still haven't received my race pack. Any idea what I should do, lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

I didnt get mine either so rang them I can collect my number tomorrow morning now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Kaz88 wrote: »
    I didnt get mine either so rang them I can collect my number tomorrow morning now

I Facebooked them. Can collect in the morning too!

Great day for all involved, if a little on the chilly side. At least it wasn't too windy, so hopefully everyone got around ok. I managed to get a personal best time for 5k, so that was a nice bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Great day for all involved, if a little on the chilly side. At least it wasn't too windy, so hopefully everyone got around ok. I managed to get a personal best time for 5k, so that was a nice bonus.

Well done. I was glad just to finish it, I haven't run a 5k in nearly 3 months. PB for me too which I am really happy with as I had to walk a bit on the hill in the Furry Glen.

Advertisement