Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye injuries

• 08-02-2013 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if there is a risk of "permanent" eye damage from a bb hit to an unprotected eyeball? Several of my nephews are now in possession of aegs but do not wear eye protection when having their mini skirmish sessions in their 2 acre back garden. This is just plain asking for trouble IMO but when I posted on here a few months back that I thought a bb hit to the eye would damage it, I was savaged as a scare mongerer by some posters. So should I say nothing and mind my own business or stick my nose in and warn my nephews and their fathers of the risks (if any??????)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Firstly I think it's illegal to have your AEG/GBB/Whatever on view even while on your own property.

Secondly, As far as I know, the 1 Joule (328fps) limit is set as that is the threshold after which significant eye damage will always occur when struck by a BB travelling faster than the above. Saying that, if they're not wearing eye protection they don't deserve the to be in possession of BBs, let alone AEGs. Common sense!

A 1J AEG will take a tooth (or part) from your mouth if struck, I would hate to see what that would do to the naked eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Lethel damage - none what so ever

Damage in general - Massive risks

You should never play airsoft or shot airsoft devices without eye protection on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Dave I think before someone said it takes 1.3 joules to puncture the eye that is why our limit Is set at 1joule
    But be a responsible adult and tell them what can happen, if that doesn't work then buy a watermelon and show them the damage that can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

A few years ago, roughly 2-3 years, me and two friends were messing about. I tried to do a backflip and one of them shot me and a pellet just missed my eye. When I mean it "just missed"... it was 1.5mm under my left eye.

After that incident, I've always worn eye protection. Better to have a eye than no eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I tried to do a backflip and one of them shot me

Most random sentence I have heard on boards to date :D.

On a serious note dave you have been playing long enough to know that eye protection is essential, I'd take the aeg's off them straight away until they know the dangers and are educated on safety.

People may find it ridiculous and call these toys or whatever but I personally treat them as I would a firearm. Only difference being I don't die when I get shot with airsoft replicas and value my eyesight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

To date, no legal airsoft device has led to permanent irreversible damage to the eye - however, direct hits have led to severe bruising causing temporary loss of vision on account of blood clouding the aqueous humour; and there has been at least one case of a detached retina which had to be surgically corrected.

In short - everything above regarding eye protection is entirely correct - DO NOT use airsoft devices without appropriate eye protection!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BWgekko

Ridiculous to use even a springer if not wearing eye protection.. I have worked in the optical Industry and have seen ppls eyes severely damaged by far less!! Personally I don't think children should own AEGs but that's their parents choice I suppose.. Either way it's an absolute essential that eye protection is worn!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

Most random sentence I have heard on boards to date :D.

On a serious note dave you have been playing long enough to know that eye protection is essential, I'd take the aeg's off them straight away until they know the dangers and are educated on safety.

People may find it ridiculous and call these toys or whatever but I personally treat them as I would a firearm. Only difference being I don't die when I get shot with airsoft replicas and value my eyesight.

Well... I was more like a front flip and he pulled the trigger without me knowing. Still, I was lucky that the pellet didn't hit me in the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Can someone tell me if there is a risk of "permanent" eye damage from a bb hit to an unprotected eyeball?
    I posted on here a few months back that I thought a bb hit to the eye would damage it, I was savaged as a scare mongerer by some posters.

In the previous thread you mention, you were educated by many a person that a sub 1 joule gun wouldn't cause any permenant damage.:confused:
    Several of my nephews are now in possession of aegs but do not wear eye protection when having their mini skirmish sessions in their 2 acre back garden. This is just plain asking for trouble IMO but when So should I say nothing and mind my own business or stick my nose in and warn my nephews and their fathers of the risks (if any??????)

Yes they should be using eye protection, you know this but if you have concerns over family members not using an aeg safely surely thats your call to make whether to approach their parents, not boards members.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

They're not my kids and so I can't "force" them to wear eye protection. I did try and explain the risks to their fathers but one of them (a Boardsie) saw the previous thread and said I was scaremongering and being a wuss. Plus he said "you were put back into your box on that thread, weren't you? smirk, smirk.

Thing is, the kids (11 up to 16) have no fear of getting hit (maybe I am a wuss:rolleyes:,), and the one formal skirmish they attended, had some so called Marshall shooting people point blank (no one had eye protection on during this "safety briefing") to let the know what a bbhit feels like. With that kind of role model, at a well known site, well why would the kids or their fathers listen to me?

On a wider level, if one of them does get a hit to the eye, ends up in hospital and the incident then goes public with "child almost loses an eye from an airsoft gun" (well you know how the media likes to ramp things up), well the bad publicity will then fall back onto the whole sport. Makes you wonder why kids as young as 11 are allowed to use these aegs?

Anyways, just wanted to be absolutely sure that one of my nephews doesn't end up losing an eye through his immaturity and his fathers stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Honestly I think you have done your part and warned them, they will find out the hard way harsh as it sounds. If that is their attitude I would not bother anymore and leave them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

the one formal skirmish they attended, had some so called Marshall shooting people point blank (no one had eye protection on during this "safety briefing") to let the know what a bbhit feels like. With that kind of role model, at a well known site

I'd like to know at which site, the above took place please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

At the very least they can wear some builders glasses. I got ones in an army surplus for 2-5 euros each and they all stand up to BBs no bother. I tested them all before ever wearing them. They can protect your nephews' eyes no problem and are cheap. Surely their parents are willing to spend 5 euros on each of their kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

From the very cheapest springers up to the most expensive Airsoft devices, the instructions all mention too basic rules;
    1 always wear eye protection
    2 do not fire at people or animals

Now this is done in words or pictograms.
    Parents should take more responsibility if they are too allow there children to use such devices.
    My eldest two have used all manner of Airsoft equipment and always wear full face protection.

When I got my first aeg, I was plinking in my back garden shooting cans off a low wall, when I aimed low, hit the wall and the bb came back at me and hit me in the chest. After that, I always wear glasses, even when plinking. Sh1t happens as they say and so why take chances?

Funny how these parents spend €150+ on an aeg, but won't spend another €20 or so for glasses????

As for the site where the lovely Marshall fired at people point blank, including yours truly, well it wasn't Redbarn. That's why I frequent that site as its well run. Must try some others though like the Compound which sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

As for the site where the lovely Marshall fired at people point blank, including yours truly, well it wasn't Redbarn. That's why I frequent that site as its well run. Must try some others though like the Compound which sounds good.

So which site was it then? :)

Sent you a pm. I can provide witnesses as my brother, his kid, his brother in law and his two kids were there and were subject to this one man firing squad:rolleyes:, and this at a recognised airsoft site! Bad enough shooting people point blank but when no one is wearing eye or face protection, and most of them are playing for the first time???? Can't figure that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i wanna know too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭kev-Oakridge

thermo wrote: »

i wanna know too!

I'm very curious aswell....

Back on topic though, if it was me I would buy the lads even the mesh masks that every airsoft shop sells and give them the masks with their dads knowledge and show them this thread, I say full masks and not just glasses because I have seen a good few players loose teeth playing with just glasses and then should their parents then let them play without face protection well you tried at least, I fully understand the position your in with brothers and even my uncle's attitudes to face protection for their kids, I gave them the mesh masks and got a thank you off my uncle a few weeks later off my uncle, he showed me the dent marks in the mesh over where my cousins eyes were... So I got the satisfaction of being right about the danger but my cousin didn't get injured, that's win win

I'm very curious aswell....

Back on topic though, if it was me I would buy the lads even the mesh masks that every airsoft shop sells and give them the masks with their dads knowledge and show them this thread, I say full masks and not just glasses because I have seen a good few players loose teeth playing with just glasses and then should their parents then let them play without face protection well you tried at least, I fully understand the position your in with brothers and even my uncle's attitudes to face protection for their kids, I gave them the mesh masks and got a thank you off my uncle a few weeks later off my uncle, he showed me the dent marks in the mesh over where my cousins eyes were... So I got the satisfaction of being right about the danger but my cousin didn't get injured, that's win win

Good idea mate. I plan on dropping into an airsoft shop tomorrow to pick up some gear. I'll get some full facemasks as early "birthday presents" for the kids. Hope they use them. To me, playing airsoft without eye protection is like driving without a seatbelt. It only takes that one time and.......

Btw, sorry I didn't get back to you about the MP7. My kids all came down with a virus and I was up to my knees in puke all last weekend:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Searching...

wow:eek: i would also like to know, dont think id be happy playing at a site like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

wow:eek: i would also like to know, dont think id be happy playing at a site like that!

+1. Curious as well.

Advertisement