Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographic Mentors

• 08-02-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

There's been a sticky there for ages on
    Photographic Mentors which doesn't seem to have got much attention.

It appears it was locked at the start which may be the reason why. Imagine it needs some discussion as people may have questions about what exactly it is, what people are offering or looking for etc.

This is a great way to progress/focus your photography at no cost with benefits accruing to both sides.

Not sure if this thread is the best place to flesh this out or maybe unstickying the original one?

Any views?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As Tommie says, this is a great way to improve your photography. It would be good to see it take off.

Not living in Ireland now I see that the level of Amateur Photography there is of a very high standard.

We often get people asking which course they should do and at what cost. Here's we have some people at worlds best level offering to pass on knowledge for free as one to one tutorial and its not being taken up.

Tommie (Eye Blinks) has made this suggestion and offered to coordinate it. If you read the Profiles on here you can see the quality of people here.

BTW. One can be both a Mentor and Mentored at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I'd definitely be interested in signing up for this.
    I saw the original thread, but wasn't sure if it had taken off.

I don't really know anyone who's into photography, and my working hours means any kind of camera club/regular meetups are pretty much impossible, so I'm a bit of a lonely solider muddling through.
    I definitely have no delusions of grandeur, and I'm even intimidated posting on her much because the standard of some of the photographs is absolutely incredible. But hey, I really enjoy the moment of getting I've got a shot I've proud of.. so I'll keep on going :rolleyes:

I suppose the important thing is to try to match people up with similar styles/interests/aspirations? Eg. I have little interest in heavy Photoshop/distortion, whereas some people love that kinda stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Again, I'm no photo genuis, but I'll be having photoshoots every weekend with bands/models/actors for the foreseeable future and wouldn't mind sharing what knowledge I have regarding strobism, posing, etc. with someone who'd give me a dig out with assisting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

mehfesto wrote: »
    Again, I'm no photo genuis, but I'll be having photoshoots every weekend with bands/models/actors for the foreseeable future and wouldn't mind sharing what knowledge I have regarding strobism, posing, etc. with someone who'd give me a dig out with assisting!

Sorry only genius's can apply.

Only messing, great for anyone interested in low lighting indoor jobbies. Hopefully you get a taker on this good offer.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i would like to find a mentor to share tips and knowledge about off camera flash. i know a little already, but it would be great to know more.. if there's anyone out there who is really into their lighting, that would mentor me :) i'd be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

How about people that are looking for mentors...can submit/post/pm who they would like to be mentored with? That way, someone looking to learn a certain technique/style/effect could be matched with someone whose work they enjoy and can ask about it. It makes sense to be matched with someone with something your interested in...rather than someone with off camera flash questions being matched with someone who uses deep filters for dramatic landscape shots. It might mean one mentor might have 2-3 people asking Q's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

pete4130 wrote: »
    How about people that are looking for mentors...can submit/post/pm who they would like to be mentored with? That way, someone looking to learn a certain technique/style/effect could be matched with someone whose work they enjoy and can ask about it. It makes sense to be matched with someone with something your interested in...rather than someone with off camera flash questions being matched with someone who uses deep filters for dramatic landscape shots. It might mean one mentor might have 2-3 people asking Q's?

Great to see a bit of interest in this.

Maybe both Mentors and Photographers could post what they are offering and looking for and make it easier for people to hook up.

Be great to see not just technical stuff but broader projects etc or photographic progression etc popping up a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Defo interested in this as a mentee (is that a word?).
    Duno if im skilled enough to be a great mentor, perhaps for someone literally just starting out but im pretty much an amateur myself.

Still, il put myself out there to help if i can.

What I'm looking for/areas im weak:
    -getting better at street without being too far seperated from the scene and without being in peoples faces.

-Landscapes, planning mainly but also need some help on execution, making sure what i see through the viewfinder is what i want, and what i end up printing, without to much post processing. That applies to natural landscapes and urban landscapes. really want to reduce the amount of post proessing i do.

What I can offer:
    -Help someone new to photogrpahy get up on the basics of exposure, DOF, etc.

-Critical analysis of photos, whats good, what could be better, how it could be made better. subjective i know, but i always value other viewpoints of my photos, as others always see things i didnt or things i missed.

-Help someone to take a similar effect photo to one that they have been inspired by but dont know how to achieve the effect in question. I find this a great way to learn.This will obviously depend on the image, as im not a pro and cant repro every photo out there, and I dont have a studio.

Maybe a few outings as a group, but in a buddy system, where a mentor/mentee stick together would be good. could all meet for a coffee/pint after to discuss what we got & to answer questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

mehfesto wrote: »

Sent you a PM not sure if you got it.

Advertisement