Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Amateur Fighters to watch in Ireland?

• 08-02-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

As said in thread title who is your Favourite Amateur Fighters to watch in Ireland?

There is some cracking entertaining fighters around so fire away with who and why.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

From my limited knowledge, I think Kieran O Brien from Cork is one to watch. Strong on the feet with excellent Muay Thai, and pretty vicious on the ground. Seen him fight twice and have been extremely impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Standard is high so there is a lot!!
    Adam caffrey
    Ryan Curtis
    Tommy Martin
    Anzor astaev
    Paul Lawrence

That's just off the top of my head, loads more, wont list my own lads as I love watching all of them fight :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I haven't been to many shows in the past few months but some names that have stuck with me are...

Keith Cody
    Tommy Martin
    Luke Caffery
    Blaine O'Driscoll
    Darragh Harte
    Sean Tobin
    Ryan Curtis

I'm not sure if half of them are still active but they were always enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

The standard of amateur fighters right across the country has came on massively in the last while. The standard has been raised right from MMA League and no head shots level right to the top of the amateur circut. It is a credit to every fighter, coach and gym involved A few that stand out for me are:

Joe McColgan

Blaine O Driscoll

Sean Tobin

Ryan Curtis

Conor White

Konrad Iwanski

But the above is by no means a definitive list but a few stand out's in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Outside our club I like

Pat McAllister

Blaine O Driscoll

Ryan Curtis

Ross McCorriston

Caffreys

Haven't witnessed the guy from Clinic much but lots of good things heard

Loads more good lads I probably forgot. The standards at amateur are fast improving and you have to train like a Pro to stand out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

Some of my favourite to see fight are David hanney
    Ryan curtis
    Wayne Nash
    and Rob Walsh any of them could give plenty of pros a great fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

just as you never know which way his fight will go until the end Philip Mulpeter, very unlucky against tommy quinn in cage warriors 51!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Loads!
    Too many to mention but off the top of my head....

Ryan Curtis
    Adam Caffery
    Blaine O'Driscoll

They're all ones to watch for the future.
    Irish mma really has a lot of good young up and coming talent.
    The future looks very bright for mma in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

what ever happened O driscoll. He's been very quiet lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

manga_10 wrote: »

Now training with JK over at SBG as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MMA Lucan

manga_10 wrote: »

As far as I was aware he was going to Galway for 6 months or so, & told us he had planned on taking time out from competing due to college commitments. But we did part ways & he was over at SBG, wish him all the best, I'm sure he will go on to have a great career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Won't name my own, I've 4-5 from my own club that genuionely excite me!!

Ryan Curtis
    Tony Keane
    Sean Tobin
    Ian Cleary had probably the m ost exciting fight ever on the Rumble
    Hughie o rourke

lot's more but im bad at names!!

• Site Banned Posts: 24 thesnip3r

no mention of conor mcgregor from my old club?
    or john michael sheils
    chris fields
    myles price
    although... what is AMATURE really?... as ive seen a guy from a club i know who has way over 20 kickboxing fights alone , and over 10 cage wins fighting a complete newbie 0-0 before?...
    alot of guys i know from the likes of SBG, and KYUZO, and team ryano, have alot of polish, russian and eastern europeans, who have been training years in mma and have many many fights under thier belts!!... but come to ireland as (inverted air commas)... AMATURES!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

thesnip3r wrote: »
    or john michael sheils
    chris fields
    myles price
    The thread is about amateur fighters, they are professionals.

Niall0 wrote: »
    The thread is about amateur fighters, they are professionals.
    im quite aware of that nial0... im just pointing out as a amature myself... is a amature a amature if he has had 10 boxing fights, 20 bjj wins, 5 class c wins. 3 class a, and 2 cage matches???

or john michael sheils
    chris fields
    myles price
    although... what is AMATURE really?... as ive seen a guy from a club i know who has way over 20 kickboxing fights alone , and over 10 cage wins fighting a complete newbie 0-0 before?...
    alot of guys i know from the likes of SBG, and KYUZO, and team ryano, have alot of polish, russian and eastern europeans, who have been training years in mma and have many many fights under thier belts!!... but come to ireland as (inverted air commas)... AMATURES!!!!
    Dont see why you edited your post to put in the amateur part when you could have put that in a new post? But anyway if you know of people like that why beat around the bush and tell us who they are?

Dont see why you edited your post to put in the amateur part when you could have put that in a new post? But anyway if you know of people like that why beat around the bush and tell us who they are?
    post was being edited to clarify...:D
    is the amature you see... really a amature?

post was being edited to clarify...:D
    is the amature you see... really a amature?
    As far as i can see most of them are, theres always gonna be some fckry going on but why would you even want to fight ammy if you were pro level? Also if a guy is a good kickboxer but has been grappling only a few months he should be fighting amateure.

As far as i can see most of them are, theres always gonna be some fckry going on but why would you even want to fight ammy if you were pro level? Also if a guy is a good kickboxer but has been grappling only a few months he should be fighting amateure.
    yeah true!
    but some people with a good deal of experience and look "phenominal"
    and were like "WOW BRO!!... THIS GUYS A KILLER"... until you realise... "oh yeah he was a semi pro kick boxer in lativia for 7 years"
    it happens bro!... i fought a guy at informed performance about two years ago in a bjj submission tournament, (at blue belt)... straight away i knew this dude was at least a brown belt!!!... only a year later when we were in comp in cork he told me he had like 20 no gi bjj fights in portugal... and the thing was he just never was really into grading and the gi...

Amateurs don't fight pro, it's that simple-sandbagging is not that common in amateur MMA, I have seen a few at the leagues but no promotion worth anything or opposition coach would tolerate sandbagging without letting the rest of the community know to be aware of club and fighter involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

In fairness sometimes opposition coaches can be a little vague about a guys experance, I know of one case where a bit of Judo translated to a brown belt and an ass whupping.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Happens in all sports and its a sad reflection on the competitors. I used to play tag rugby some summers and having never played rugby, I was playing in the novice league. There were plenty of players who were clearly playing a long time in the novice league and there was even a team of players who played for a Div 2 team. It happens and there is not a whole lot you can do about it.

Yes there is, in Mma you simply stop dealing with clubs who sandbag.

I have my own list of 3-4 clubs who constantly sand bag and im very aware when dealing with them that this I'd the case.

Some promitions simply don't care but others such as those who run clubs and know what it's lke to be sandbagged wont entertain this

RoboRat wrote: »
    Happens in all sports and its a sad reflection on the competitors. I used to play tag rugby some summers and having never played rugby, I was playing in the novice league. There were plenty of players who were clearly playing a long time in the novice league and there was even a team of players who played for a Div 2 team. It happens and there is not a whole lot you can do about it.
    unfortunatly it does happen in alot of sports, over the last 5 years i just noticed it a little more than usual...
    as you say pal... "its a sad reflection on the competitors" and a shame they take pride in it, to win a gold in jitz comp at white belt level (when you had 4+years experience) is it really won???

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yes there is, in Mma you simply stop dealing with clubs who sandbag.

I have my own list of 3-4 clubs who constantly sand bag and im very aware when dealing with them that this I'd the case.

Some promitions simply don't care but others such as those who run clubs and know what it's lke to be sandbagged wont entertain this
    very well put

Advertisement