Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Arrival

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

To be fair to you ledge its a pisser of a situation you're in. I remember when I got my cab I cpuldnt wait to fire it up. I also had some issues but nothing as serious as yours so I feel your pain.

Also to be fair to you its really completely up to Jeff to resolve this for you. You can't be expected to troubleshoot a machine you're not familiar with outside of basic checks.

Its great that so many peeps on here and over yonder are so knowledgeable but at the same time you don't want to fccuk anything else up that might give Jeff reason to put the blame on to you.

Not saying that will happen but he is a regular member on J+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Definitely post over on AO and J+ as Jeff is on both.
    I don't know him and haven't had any dealings with him but when I got my Egret 3 there were a few issues with it and the only way I got the seller (Ronnie/RKLOK) to do anything about it was to shame into it.
    By shame him I mean posting about the problems in front of more potential buyers and people who know him well over on Arcade Otaku.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Are you getting sound coming from the games, can you coin up etc? if you are then its a monitor problem, if not then its not likely the monitor at fault, could be the power supply or something.

The monitor issues ive had in the past where i had to get the chassis fixed, the sound still came out of games, its known as playing blind

Steve SI wrote: »
    I don't know him and haven't had any dealings with him but when I got my Egret 3 there were a few issues with it and the only way I got the seller (Ronnie/RKLOK) to do anything about it was to shame into it.

What were the issues with your egret Steve? Monitor related?

What were the issues with your egret Steve? Monitor related?

Yes, mostly issues with the monitor and he also sent me the wrong control panel.
    Check out the geometry on the link below.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73981378&postcount=12

Or the full story here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365887

Yes, mostly issues with the monitor and he also sent me the wrong control panel.
    Check out the geometry on the link below.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73981378&postcount=12

Or the full story here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365887

Apart from that side compression at the sides in the first link, the rest of the geometry looked good. Far better than my atomiswave (same machine as Egret 3 as you) which is still within norms for its monitor as per industrial standards. Grant Spain has confirmed this for me.

Lots of curling and snarling in the corners on mine

IMAG0339_zps04f847e3.jpg

IMAG0340_zpsd10bed23.jpg

I've replaced the monitor in it twice and the chassis the same since I got it.
    The monitor in it now is still not perfect but is probably about as close as I'll get it. The colours and contrast look fantastic on it but I think all these LCD's we have these days really make me want those sides to be perfect on the CRT :o

Your geometry looks pretty decent on that screen.

I've replaced the monitor in it twice and the chassis the same since I got it.
    The monitor in it now is still not perfect but is probably about as close as I'll get it. The colours and contrast look fantastic on it but I think all these LCD's we have these days really make me want those sides to be perfect on the CRT :o

Your geometry looks pretty decent on that screen.

It looks ok in the first image but isn't ideal in the corners, especially the bottom left.

By the way, what was the original chassis and monitor in your egret?

It looks ok in the first image but isn't ideal in the corners, especially the bottom left.

By the way, what was the original chassis and monitor in your egret?

I'd give my left nut for that geometry

• Advertisement

urbanledge wrote: »

I'd give my left nut for that geometry

Jaysus! I obviously haven't seen bad geometry so!

I just got off the phone to Jeff there,
    He's been real cool about it and just asked me to remove and reseat the neckboard and see if thats the problem,
    I was reluctant to do anything before talking to him,
    He said it was running for 4 hours before shipping so hopefully that will cure it.

If not he says he'll ship me a chassis.

Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice one! I'll say a prayer to the arcade gods for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How much did you pay for it? I'm very new to all this. I keep misreading "neckboard" as "neckbeard" as well, very confusing

I'd rather not say in case the missus reads this ;)
    pm'ed

Good stuff ledge. At least he picked up the phone!

Either way you should be all sorted by the end of the week!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Grimebox wrote: »
    How much did you pay for it? I'm very new to all this. I keep misreading "neckboard" as "neckbeard" as well, very confusing

A Japanese candy cab will cost you anything from €500 for cheaper ones like Astros up to €1500 for rarer ones like Mini Cutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    A Japanese candy cab will cost you anything from €500 for cheaper ones like Astros up to €1500 for rarer ones like Mini Cutes.

That's excluding shipping since it's most likely coming from abroad.

Andrew76 wrote: »

Yup. Allowing for shipping, you'd realistically need a budget of 1000 and that's before you start adding games and performing modifications.

Control panels, jpac wiring etc

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

Indeed!

So realistically you're talking about €700 minimum for an Astro. Unless there's some super rare case where one becomes available in Ireland. (If I remember correctly, my AWSD cost €600 locally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well that was a short lived dream!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

A penny save here and there adds up pretty quickly ;)

Good money can be had for kidneys too these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol definitely not cheap but achievable with some saving and time. As Techno mentions, whatever about the initial cost, you will always spend a bit more afterwards on changing/updating parts and buying game boards/Mame PC etc for it. But that is over time and it's great fun learning about how they work.

Actually that's assuming you're only interested in candy cabs, a generic Jamma woody cab would be much cheaper indeed - 200/300 quid or less I would imagine. Even cheaper when you look on J+ but they're all based in the UK.

/Edit: Or try Mitch! :)

Indeed!

So realistically you're talking about €700 minimum for an Astro. Unless there's some super rare case where one becomes available in Ireland. (If I remember correctly, my AWSD cost €600 locally)

You'd be doing well to pick up an Atomiswave for 600 now.

Master of the Universe

You'd be doing well to pick up an Atomiswave for 600 now.

Just had a look at Jeff's ebay store and I see he's selling them for 695Gbp! :eek: with just a single player CP.

I'd say he'd shave off a good bit if you contacted him directly to avoid ebay fees.

Still, would probably work out close to 1000 euro after postage.

How times have changed in the last few years. Have a look at some historical candy cab sale threads knocking about. I've seen some with Jaleco Pony IIIs and Aero Tables going for around the 700 mark a few years back. They'd probably be twice that now.

Thing with cabs is and it takes a while to get used to, is that they're not new and for the most part not built for the home market.

Therefore from the moment the cab arrives you'll see stuff you want to tinker with and enhance.

With a small baby in the house I get very little time at my cab and I'd quite happily spend as much time with my head stuck in the service door (ooh er) as I would playing games!

Master of the Universe

Spot on :)

I spend just as much time getting stuff working and calibrated properly as I do playing games. Sure it's part of the fun!

The not 'new' thing really should be closely paid attention to. Components fail over time. These things have been sitting in arcades on all day long. That's a lot of punishment. Think of the poor leaky capacitors.

There's a thread over on AO called 'Arcade Casualties - the hobby where everything breaks'. It's worth having a read through just so folk know what they're getting involved in.

Reseated the neck board and nout,
    So I whiped out the chassis and Im still alive!
    Fairly handy.I coundnt see any thing loose/damaged on the chassis.
    I hope to god thats the problem

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha your lucky if you pulled the anode cap without discharging when you removed the chassis!! your braver than i am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    haha your lucky if you pulled the anode cap without discharging when you removed the chassis!! your braver than i am!

If the monitor isn't getting power its prob safe to assume the HT lead is dry...still though, brave without checking is the right word :D

Master of the Universe

Maybe he's talking to us from beyond the grave? :pac:

• Advertisement

Is there auto discharge circuitry in the Blasts?

Supposed to be in my Atomiswave but still.....

Master of the Universe

I remember seeing Mitchomagic take the Chassis of my AWSD without discharging and expecting to see him blasted across the room!

Seems some of them do discharge alright! Still wouldn't risk it though.

I discharged it,
    several times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I think most modern monitors self discharge.

like myself :P

I think they do, its still good practice to manually do it though. Not something I'd ever take a chance on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think they do, its still good practice to manually do it though. Not something I'd ever take a chance on
    I've always grounded under the anode cap just to be sure but of the maybe 3 arcade monitors I've done and 2 or 3 TVs I've never heard the POP:P described on the tutorials

I've always grounded under the anode cap just to be sure but of the maybe 3 arcade monitors I've done and 2 or 3 TVs I've never heard the POP:P described on the tutorials

I've heard it before, but usually I don't. Tbh I'd prefer hear it, because then you know its been discharged. When you don't hear it, there's always that little doubt :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I remember seeing Mitchomagic take the Chassis of my AWSD without discharging and expecting to see him blasted across the room!

Seems some of them do discharge alright! Still wouldn't risk it though.

I was earthed to you fridge so all good !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Any update on the cab urbanledge?

Na,
    Chassis is boxed up and waiting on the courier to pick it up.
    Jeff hasnt been answering the phone/email since I fist talked to him.
    Sending it back anyway.Might try ring him now

Was just talking to him,
    said he's got one ready to go but just wants to wait and see mine before he ships the replacement.
    Said he'll cover the courier too.

Funny I thought getting a candy would cure me for a while.I havent even played it and I know I want another one!
    might have to sell the motorbike as a trade off for the missus:D

Hey ledge. You're probably still suffering from first cab wants. Seeing as you havent really got a cab yet!

Hey ledge. You're probably still suffering from first cab wants. Seeing as you havent really got a cab yet!

Doubt it as this is my 3rd :D:D:D:D:D

first candy tho!

Master of the Universe

One candy is never enough. Never! I've had my second want on since the moment the first arrived through the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Me too, need a horizontal one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looking into getting a Blast City myself aswell....Might go for an Astro though

Then as I was looking online for an astro image I came across this

dscf1066kk7.jpg

Blast City does look rather dashing now!

Master of the Universe

Tough decision. Just get both to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think I might just have to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Where would you even get one ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement