Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City

• 08-02-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Would you agree that while this show is generally enjoyable, much of the acting is unrealistic and wooden?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

There's already a topic on FC!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Definitely not on a whole in my opinion, but, now that you mention it, the Dillon family do come across wooden or something. But it's all of them though. That family's acting would be the only thing that would put me off watching the programme, everything else is okay to me. But, as it's not just coming across as one individual actor acting badly, - the whole family seem to come across the exact same way, maybe they are doing what they're supposed to be doing in the sense that they are portraying themselves as a stoical proud uptight family which could be within the remit of what they're supposed to be doing, maybe that could be it? If that is in fact part of their roles to act like that well then I guess they are just doing what they are supposed to be doing as part of their job.

Alternatively, other option the family could in fact just happen to be a few bad actors. I don't know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

NedLowry wrote: »
    Would you agree that while this show is generally enjoyable, much of the acting is unrealistic and wooden?

Slow & wooden would be my impression, not that I watch it much, but if you flick over from Eastenders, Corrie,
    Emmerdale and the like, then back to Fair City, you do see a marked difference.

In my Opinion . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Sometimes watching Fair City is like watching Robot Wars, without the Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

Personally, I can't understand why Fair City introduce more and more characters into the show CONSTANTLY. The existing /"OLD" characters vanish and as if by magic reappear. This would be my main gripe with the show because it doesn't seem to happen in other soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

I think the Dillon family are so unrealistic.

Somehow in corrie or eastenders, you get to know the characters better. The characters develop. There is an interest in all the sides to the same character. There is something missing, a gap which is never filled in Fair City. There seems to be some obsession with having new characters and the others get forgotten and under used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Wouldn't personally compare it to those English Soaps. They all seem like a bunch of raving squeaking lunatics to me on those. In my opinion. In fact, they all act and sound the same on there, every individual, just like a raving squeaking lunatic. At least they are all mostly individual on Fair City. In my opinion. Well apart from the Dillons. And Luke. I feel they would have been better off actually without the Dillon Family at all, as they seem to have a negative impact on the Show. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bluevelvet

I hate the show. The acting is so awful its embarrassing to watch and so is much of the writing. Maybe I have this wrong but I think a recent plot ran something like this. Husband is exposed cheating on his wife but they remain a couple, wife later cheats on husband with his brother but she ends it, husband doesn't let her forget it, wife cheats again. (oh god my head)

And the way they portray teenagers as whiney selfish little brats. That stereotype is getting old. I agree Ros Na Run is a much better quality show from what I've seen. Fair City is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Randomiser

bluevelvet wrote: »
    I hate the show. The acting is so awful its embarrassing to watch and so is much of the writing. Maybe I have this wrong but I think a recent plot ran something like this. Husband is exposed cheating on his wife but they remain a couple, wife later cheats on husband with his brother but she ends it, husband doesn't let her forget it, wife cheats again. (oh god my head)

And the way they portray teenagers as whiney selfish little brats. That stereotype is getting old. I agree Ros Na Run is a much better quality show from what I've seen. Fair City is a joke.

You are talking absolute rubbish. Fair City ****s all over Ros Na Run in terms of quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Randomiser wrote: »
    You are talking absolute rubbish. Fair City ****s all over Ros Na Run in terms of quality.

What kind of quality is that? If you compare Ros na Rún/Fair City over the past 10 years, I would suggest that Ros na Rún comes out on top - by a mile! Way more realistic storylines. Things like kidnap, rape, murder handled far better than Fair City has ever done.. It's in a bit of a slump at the moment I think, it hasn't been the same since O'Dowd left. Fair City isn't exactly a beacon of quality at the moment either..

It's shot with a fraction of the budget of Fair City yet the production values of RnR are far superior. Not every scene starts on the street for example! As for the quality of acting in both shows, Ros na Rún is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Fair City and always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

tumblr_lrfudqa9GB1qdoqei.jpg

Sorry, couldn't hold back. :o:o:D:D:);)

I'd like to think that Gaeilge has nothing to do with your preference of Fair City over Ros na Rún... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Randomiser

What kind of quality is that? If you compare Ros na Rún/Fair City over the past 10 years, I would suggest that Ros na Rún comes out on top - by a mile! Way more realistic storylines. Things like kidnap, rape, murder handled far better than Fair City has ever done.. It's in a bit of a slump at the moment I think, it hasn't been the same since O'Dowd left. Fair City isn't exactly a beacon of quality at the moment either..

It's shot with a fraction of the budget of Fair City yet the production values of RnR are far superior. Not every scene starts on the street for example! As for the quality of acting in both shows, Ros na Rún is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Fair City and always has been.

Yada, yada, yada. Now do try and calm down. Perhaps a valium is in order?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I have (justifiably imo) never given Ros na Run a chance because of how you have to read the subtitles since they're speaking in a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Bad bob

I have (justifiably imo) never given Ros na Run a chance because of how you have to read the subtitles since they're speaking in a foreign language.

What kind of an assh**e are you to come out with an inane ignorant bigoted statement like that! Foreign language! How insulting and nasty. It's our language and it belongs to all of us whether you can speak it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Bad bob

I agree Mick they need a villain back there again especially now that Tina is going to prison. Daniel was good as well but they killed him off, bad move IMO. The rape story was pretty good though.

Bad bob wrote: »
    What kind of an assh**e are you to come out with an inane ignorant bigoted statement like that! Foreign language! How insulting and nasty. It's our language and it belongs to all of us whether you can speak it or not.

I assume he was looking for that kind of reaction. It's the type of idiocy that comes from people who haven't bothered their arse to even learn the basics of their national language.

He must consider himself English.

Yada, yada, yada. Now do try and calm down. Perhaps a valium is in order?

Oh you and your humour..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

It is without a doubt awful. But many of the actors are fine in other productions. I think the direction has to have something to do with it. I used to avoid watching it while my Gran had it on tv, but I'd stay with her in the room. Even when not looking at the screen you could hear the awkwardness in the room (on tv) when it wasn't written in. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, anyone who hates Ros na Rún just because it's in Irish and not in English...

picard-facepalm2.jpg

It's a bit like saying that you hate anyone who works for Sky News just because they work for Sky News.

There are plenty of good, decent and generally likeable people who work for this channel: Eamonn Holmes, Dermot Murnaghan, Jeremy Thompson and, of course, Charlotte Hawkins:

charlottepr2.jpg

Getting back to soaps, I'd say there are plenty of people in Wales who enjoy watching Pobol y Cwm on a regular basis, despite not knowing much Welsh.

And finally, getting back to Ros na Rún, my mother much prefers it to Fair City even though she hated doing Irish in school.

The point I'm trying to make is: just because it's a language you can't speak and/or hate, doesn't mean that you should automatically hate everything associated with the language.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Fridge wrote: »
    It is without a doubt awful. But many of the actors are fine in other productions. I think the direction has to have something to do with it.

Agreed. The camera work on FC is very poor in comparison to almost any other soap on tv. For example:

Actor 1 speaks: Camera pans to them.
    Actor 2 speaks: Camera pans to them.
    Actor 1 speaks: Camera pans back to them, and so on.

It makes for very unnatural and awkward looking interactions.

They have improved this a bit in recent times.

Shooting every scene in the pub, shop or street doesn't help either.

But the cream rises to the top.. The gifted actors on the show (Carol, Bob, Niamh, Paul, Orla to name a few) always come across as such in their scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

I hate Ros na Rún not because it in Irish, but because it gack

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jimmy 2

anyone remember the name of hughie phelans child ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jimmy 2 wrote: »
    anyone remember the name of hughie phelans child ?

Kevin.

Advertisement