Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From oil to natural gas

Options
  • 08-02-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just got another 500litres of oil and am finding it expensive this winter.I am in the Cashel area and heard Cashel is connected to a national supply and so I am considering changing to natural gas.

Its for many reasons, firstly as its meant to be cleaner fuel and produced in ireland and off the irish coast which should keep more money in ireland rather than 80 cent of every euro spent on oil going to the middle east, secondly its better for the environment and air quality and its time to turn from oil to alternatives with the exploration of oil fields not helping native animal species around the world. Thirdly i ve heard its not as expensive as getting oil every few months with its flucuating prices.

Ive considered alternatives but natural gas seems handiest-Wind energy in a few years should have advanced to benefit the homeowner but it seems more business orientated for now.Wood chip heating sounds good but i heard that its important to keep things at a certain temperature to ensure the wood is suitable and really i want a easy to use low maintenance system where i can turnon the heating when i get home from work.

Finally my question is:
    Has anyone changed from oil to natural gas?
    Is it expensive?what equiptment would i need?
    Will i have to change my radiators ? they were got around 5 years ago
    What saving would i make when the gas is connected?How much saving would i make in euros(between gas and oil) if the heating was on on average 5 out of 24 hours?
    any other pros and cons i havent considered?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Are you in Cashel town or just, as you say, the Cashel area?

You'd probably be better contacting Bord Gais and asking them if you are close enough to the natural gas pipeline to be connected and also they'd be able to give you an idea of what would be involved in the changeover but I'd assume it's only the burner that'd need to be changed and a new gas feed brought in to it.

You'd probably also be better posting this in the heating and plumbing section than here.

Advertisement